TT home stay 2022

Manx17

24 minutes ago, Twitch said:

I did indeed Max. I was pointed to the small print on the Homestay contract... Who reads that stuff??!! I can see why people advertise their accommodation without registering for the scheme to be honest.

Please note: Any income earned by providing Homestay during the TT period only, is exempt from tax, provided the gross amount earned before expenses does not exceed £1,800. If your earnings are in excess of this amount you will be taxed on the whole amount and not the difference. There is no tax exemption for the MGP/Classic TT period.

Before expenses too! 

I would have thought your home insurance insurers would want an extra premium if you were subletting too.  It all sounds so simple until you get to the nitty gritty.   I think a lot of people are doubting whether the TT will happen next year and if it does it may be on a much smaller scale certainly for visitor numbers.    Uncertainty and doubt are the kiss of death to any planned event and there is a lot of it around at the moment.   Lots of people who would normally visit are feeling the pinch there was a much longer lockdown over the water than we had and people suffered financially as did a lot of local businesses.  Holidays and travel are not the utmost priority for people at the moment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I would have thought your home insurance insurers would want an extra premium if you were subletting too.  It all sounds so simple until you get to the nitty gritty.   I think a lot of people are doubting whether the TT will happen next year and if it does it may be on a much smaller scale certainly for visitor numbers.    Uncertainty and doubt are the kiss of death to any planned event and there is a lot of it around at the moment.   Lots of people who would normally visit are feeling the pinch there was a much longer lockdown over the water than we had and people suffered financially as did a lot of local businesses.  Holidays and travel are not the utmost priority for people at the moment.

Ah, but they're all pent up with two years of savings!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Ah, but they're all pent up with two years of savings!

Yes that’s about right. There is no shortage of cash for holidays (unless it’s already been blown on a big shed and some new decking). It will be a cheap holiday in the IOM for the TT using Homestay when the alternative is costing you £250 a night for some crappy 2* boarding house in Torquay. 

When “The Inspector” came to ours we didn’t comply because of no Fire Blanket- I pointed out I also didn’t have an EICR check or Gas Cert which contravenes IOM legislation (we have oil that’s my joke to clipboard person who didn’t notice) for rented properties “We don’t check them……” was the answer 

It’s a blind eye Government sticking plaster to round up the bikers.

Lack of Homestay could be a big unforeseen problem 

Who is all pent up with savings ?   There have been thousands struggling because they could not work especially the self employed who have not been eligible for government assistance.   Those who were lucky enough to get paid were splashing it out on garden furniture, hot tubs and motor homes.  They may not have spent money on holidays but home improvement sales went through the roof.   Have you seen what the Steam Packet are charging over TT for a large van ?   and the prices that the hotels and other hospitality accommodation are charging…..add it all up and then think again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Who is all pent up with savings ?   There have been thousands struggling because they could not work especially the self employed who have not been eligible for government assistance.   Those who were lucky enough to get paid were splashing it out on garden furniture, hot tubs and motor homes.  They may not have spent money on holidays but home improvement sales went through the roof.   Have you seen what the Steam Packet are charging over TT for a large van ?   and the prices that the hotels and other hospitality accommodation are charging…..add it all up and then think again.

download (2).jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Your right they did leave people to struggle and lots of single parents only got £200  a week, where if two worked in your household got £400. It made people get into dept. They didn’t care . So this is really why I started this post because they don’t care  and they know without the public giving up rooms in their homes there will be no TT accommodation and lots of visitors would have paid their deposit in 2019 to the steam packet and will still be honoured them. My concern is all we hear is covid blamed for this and that to why the island is in such a state. But where are their reassurances that opening your doors won’t cause our hospital to be upside down children won’t be sent home for home learning and you won’t  have to take ten days of work if you get covid . To me they have just showed the pound signs. When actually you could end up a lot worse off. 

Edited by Manx17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The boats will be full and all the accommodation will be full whatever they charge.

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

What I don’t get is why gov need to be anywhere near this. Let air bnb and the market take care of it. All Govs do is make things complicated for no apparent reason.

Someone needs to count your teaspoons!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Anyone said:

What I don’t get is why gov need to be anywhere near this. Let air bnb and the market take care of it. All Govs do is make things complicated for no apparent reason.

they like to regulate creating jobs for the boys, without any forward planning . But if it falls back onto them they just put through the shredder. Like it didn’t happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anyone said:

The Tourist Act 1975 says they do. Under that Act all Tourist accommodation has to be registered ( including Airbnb). The Act is long overdue an overhaul but was put in place back in the day to protect and regulate the industry