DoI not fit for purpose

joebean

I think Crookall will be o.k. he has taken on a department which is on its knees and the only way is up.    One has gone and the others who have reigned supreme will be aware they are on very thin ice, the only reason they are not on the way out is probably the uncertainty of where to apply the blame for the mess this department is in and the huge redundancy payments.   I think a couple must be near retirement.   This department needs breaking up it is unwieldy and has too much power.  ie. setting social housing rents etc.  I bet Alf has got a keen eye here and will be giving Tim a lot of support.  I don’t think Tim will take any prisoners.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

We will see , Tim will be out to prove himself he has more experience than Harmer and Baker and really nothing to lose.

One big plus is that this will be Alf's purge too though. Crookall will have been delegated to sort the Dept as Minister but it's AC's will. He should give TC his full backing where required.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I think Crookall will be o.k. he has taken on a department which is on its knees and the only way is up.    One has gone and the others who have reigned supreme will be aware they are on very thin ice, the only reason they are not on the way out is probably the uncertainty of where to apply the blame for the mess this department is in and the huge redundancy payments.   I think a couple must be near retirement.   This department needs breaking up it is unwieldy and has too much power.  ie. setting social housing rents etc.  I bet Alf has got a keen eye here and will be giving Tim a lot of support.  I don’t think Tim will take any prisoners.

I think you can sidestep redundancy payments in cases of gross misconduct.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Civil servants and gross misconduct do not go hand in hand 😉

All I can say is ,its about time they did !    if the DOI is not taken on  and re organised  it will suck the life and resources  right out out  government ,and the credibility of the council of ministers will be even more damaged than the last government headed up by the useless  and   gormless   Howard  ,concentrate on the priorities , and not the pet projects and nice to have , the infrastructure  on this Island  has never been so neglected and very little is being properly  maintained 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Civil servants and gross misconduct do not go hand in hand 😉

Oh, they do.

But they tend to part company very quickly when it comes to accountability.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

They spat out Gawne and Harmer and cost Baker his seat. They seem to be very good a seeing off politicians. I’m not sure Crookall will be any different. I have to say though I read this this afternoon which pretty much sums up where I’d say 80% of the islands taxpayers are by now if Crookall or Cannan did elect to put the boot in:

https://fearandloathing2021.wixsite.com/fearandloathingblog/post/diplomatic-immunity-soon-to-be-revoked

From the article:

It will simply be applied as a gold-plated sticking plaster over the gangrenous festering open sore that is the DOI and its toxic arrogant and loose-spending management as well as other similarly dysfunctional departments of government with their equally toxic, corrosive, and destructive influence over everything they touch.

I wish Mr Fear and Loathing would just tell us what he really thinks! 

I wholeheartedly agree with him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

One big plus is that this will be Alf's purge too though. Crookall will have been delegated to sort the Dept as Minister but it's AC's will. He should give TC his full backing where required.

TC asked for the job. He wasn’t delegated. He talks about it in the video with Paul Moulting. 

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I can’t see many people disagreeing to be honest. We do seem to be borrowing huge sums to basically re-finance about 15 years worth of total incompetence. If we don’t kick a few out to attempt to stop the incompetence we’ll be doing exactly the same in another 15 years time.

Going on the figures that Stu Peters posted earlier in the thread of a VED and Fuel Tax take of @ £130M over three years and a roads spend of @ £30M in the same period, it looks like the Manx motorist is paying for no small part of it already.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1