Jump to content

Newson's on the Quay


Ramseyboi
 Share

Recommended Posts

Road closed for emergency demolition.

Could see that coming when I walked past a few weeks ago - as a result of sheer neglect.

How is this continually allowed to happen?

There will be something new and shiny there soon ( which is no bad thing) but there would of never been permission granted to demolish what was already there, so why just allow it to rot?

Either make people preserve what is there OR allow them to demolish.  This nonsense where you cant demolish but can let something fall into disrepair needs to come to an end as it benefits nobody.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Road closed for emergency demolition.

Could see that coming when I walked past a few weeks ago - as a result of sheer neglect.

How is this continually allowed to happen?

There will be something new and shiny there soon ( which is no bad thing) but there would of never been permission granted to demolish what was already there, so why just allow it to rot?

Either make people preserve what is there OR allow them to demolish.  This nonsense where you cant demolish but can let something fall into disrepair needs to come to an end as it benefits nobody.

It benefits the developer who will now be able to build something on the site without having work around some half-witted requirement to retain an ancient Victorian drainpipe or similar nonsense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Road closed for emergency demolition.

Could see that coming when I walked past a few weeks ago - as a result of sheer neglect.

How is this continually allowed to happen?

There will be something new and shiny there soon ( which is no bad thing) but there would of never been permission granted to demolish what was already there, so why just allow it to rot?

Either make people preserve what is there OR allow them to demolish.  This nonsense where you cant demolish but can let something fall into disrepair needs to come to an end as it benefits nobody.

Interesting subject. 

 

Personally once a building has stopped serving it's original purpose it should be able to be knocked down with almost zero permission. 

The mouth breathers at the Victorian Society and other assorted anorak organisations should have no input into the planning process unless they own the site themselves. Such an organisation tried to stop the demolition of the old Griddles building because there was allegedly some historical cobble in the cellar they hadn't been allowed to look at - bonkers. 

Alternatively there are cases where old buildings are demolished without permission and the local council makes the developer rebuild them brick by brick. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/developer-told-to-rebuild-maida-vale-pub-brick-by-brick-after-site-torn-down-without-notice-10211892.html

 

Surely in a world where everything is about saving carbons then we should be going for super duper new builds to save them carbons? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Surely in a world where everything is about saving carbons then we should be going for super duper new builds to save them carbons? 

Absolutely.  Carbons is all vanity led.

Who was the most vocal objector to the demolition of a crappy old cottage in Dalby to allow the building of a super new eco friendly house?  Who would have rather seen loads of carbons utilised to renovate said crappy old cottage to a point where it was still nowhere near as efficient as the new build replacement?

Mr Dale of Beach Buddies fame.  The guy who encourages hundreds of people to drive hundreds of miles in their 4 by 4s to pick up a few bits of plastic and put them into one of a number of massive plastic purpose built bins that were shipped here having been built in factories, then taken to their new home in a truck, located around the island that are emptied into a 4 by 4 pickup to be taken to somewhere where they are loaded on another truck to be loaded on the ferry so that another truck can take them to a factory that only runs to recycle plastic that could have just been thrown in the incinerator and generate some power.  

You couldn't make it up.  The environmental impact of just building the recycling plant will be huge.  The world has gone mad

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tidy beaches and countryside are something we should always aspire to.

But litter is totally divorce of climate change. Bill Dale is tidying the planet not saving it. Good work but not to be confused. 

Building anything new build or the renovation of existing is always going to generate enormous amounts of CO2 as concrete and it’s ballast is one of the most footprint heavy products in existence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TomTucker said:

Tidy beaches and countryside are something we should always aspire to.

But litter is totally divorce of climate change. Bill Dale is tidying the planet not saving it. Good work but not to be confused. 

Building anything new build or the renovation of existing is always going to generate enormous amounts of CO2 as concrete and it’s ballast is one of the most footprint heavy products in existence. 

Thanks Bill

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Absolutely.  Carbons is all vanity led.

Who was the most vocal objector to the demolition of a crappy old cottage in Dalby to allow the building of a super new eco friendly house?  Who would have rather seen loads of carbons utilised to renovate said crappy old cottage to a point where it was still nowhere near as efficient as the new build replacement?

Mr Dale of Beach Buddies fame.  The guy who encourages hundreds of people to drive hundreds of miles in their 4 by 4s to pick up a few bits of plastic and put them into one of a number of massive plastic purpose built bins that were shipped here having been built in factories, then taken to their new home in a truck, located around the island that are emptied into a 4 by 4 pickup to be taken to somewhere where they are loaded on another truck to be loaded on the ferry so that another truck can take them to a factory that only runs to recycle plastic that could have just been thrown in the incinerator and generate some power.  

You couldn't make it up.  The environmental impact of just building the recycling plant will be huge.  The world has gone mad

Magnificent - every time he’s not on the Honours List there’s another big publicity campaign - best intentions and all that but if he gets a Gong it’s got 6 months until he “takes a step back for new ideas to drive it forward” terrible hypocrite 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, James Blonde said:

Surely in a world where everything is about saving carbons then we should be going for super duper new builds to save them carbons? 

Renovating takes a lot less energy and materials than tearing down, dumping the rubble, then building again with new materials. So renovating is many times more carbon efficient.

But you know this already.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Renovating takes a lot less energy and materials than tearing down, dumping the rubble, then building again with new materials. So renovating is many times more carbon efficient.

But you know this already.

Renovating might produce less carbons but it doesn't produce the same profit for the owners. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...