I’m getting rid of my smart speakers. Alexa has started gaslighting me and I can’t cope.

I’m going to use paired Bluetooth speakers for sound but just realised I won’t be able to turn my lights on and off. (Most of them are smart plugs and bulbs).

Can I buy a small controller like an echo dot to make them work?

in the meantime, I’m glad I’ve got four head torches.

Help me do - I haven’t thought this through. 😂

25 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

There are a few phone apps that you can use unless you specifically want a speaker unit?

That’s exactly what I don’t want.

So can I use the various app to turn them on and off without needing any other equipment?

(I’m very late to this particular party) 😊

Have you tried the Smart Life app. Might depend on what type of devices you have but I control smart plugs and curtains etc with them. Most are on an automated schedule varying around the times on sunrise and sunset, but you can control them manually 

• Thanks 1

+1 for Smart Life. The compatible plugs are much smaller and cheaper than Amazon plugs, although almost all are Chinese so they're probably (a) death traps and (b) beaming back your details to a Dark Army of hackers somewhere. They're a little bit fiddly to set up, especially if you're linking Smart Life into Alexa, which you aren't, but once they're connected they seem to last forever.

Out of interest, what did Alexa do to you? She can be an uppity cow at times, granted, but I'd find it hard to live without her now. Much like Mrs Sheldon.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

They're a little bit fiddly to set up, especially if you're linking Smart Life into Alexa

I managed to connect one set of curtains to Alexa after a bit of a Friday session. Tried to do another set the following day and didn’t have a clue how to do it. Took hours to figure it out. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That’s exactly what I don’t want.

So can I use the various app to turn them on and off without needing any other equipment?

(I’m very late to this particular party) 😊

Yes, easy done. As other have mentioned, smart life is probably the most known. 

it will scan your network, attach all your smart things and away you go.

you could do it via the Alexa app on your phone if you wanted to.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Old Git said:

Have you tried the Smart Life app. Might depend on what type of devices you have but I control smart plugs and curtains etc with them. Most are on an automated schedule varying around the times on sunrise and sunset, but you can control them manually 

Yup. I’ve got that. I haven’t used a schedule before as I just shout out to the gaslighter to do it all for me. It won’t surprise you to know that she didn’t always oblige. I’m going to set up a schedule now. No more arguments. Yay! 

Ive got a mixture of bulbs and Nooie plugs abs smart life has them all I. One place. All good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheldon said:

+1 for Smart Life. The compatible plugs are much smaller and cheaper than Amazon plugs, although almost all are Chinese so they're probably (a) death traps and (b) beaming back your details to a Dark Army of hackers somewhere. They're a little bit fiddly to set up, especially if you're linking Smart Life into Alexa, which you aren't, but once they're connected they seem to last forever.

Out of interest, what did Alexa do to you? She can be an uppity cow at times, granted, but I'd find it hard to live without her now. Much like Mrs Sheldon.

She’s an absolute bitch.

Latterly she’s taken to turning up the volume to maximum on all my Sonos speakers when I’m in the bath. It goes so loud that I can’t even shout loud enough so she can hear me and I have to get out, dripping to turn the volume down.

For weeks when I ask her to play Manx Radio she plays Magic Radio from Derby, and when I ask her to play Spotify, instead of picking up where we left off she plays Baa Baa Black sheep  Every single time!

Yesterday I asked her outright if she was gaslighting me and she replied, “I don’t think I know that one” - typical gaslighters response! 

Dead to me. Blocked and deleted. 

Edited by Roxanne
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Old Git said:

I managed to connect one set of curtains to Alexa after a bit of a Friday session. Tried to do another set the following day and didn’t have a clue how to do it. Took hours to figure it out. 

Curtains as in curtains at a window? Can you do that? Get her to draw the curtains?

The world is going mad. 

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

She’s an absolute bitch.

Latterly she’s taken to turning up the volume to maximum on all my Sonos speakers when I’m in the bath. It goes so loud that I can’t even shout loud enough so she can hear me and I have to get out, dripping to turn the volume down.

For weeks when I ask her to play Manx Radio she plays Magic Radio from Derby, and when I ask her to play Spotify, instead of picking up where we left off she plays Baa Baa Black sheep  Every single time!

Yesterday I asked her outright if she was gaslighting me and she replied, “I don’t think I know that one” - typical gaslighters response! 

Dead to me. Blocked and deleted. 

I fear the Dark Army may already have breached your defences. Think carefully - have you pissed off any Chinese people recently?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Curtains as in curtains at a window? Can you do that? Get her to draw the curtains?

The world is going mad. 

My wife bought motorised curtain tracks for our lounge and dining room. Bit of a faff to set up but then I worked out it could save me 116.8 kilometres of curtain pulling during the rest of my life I got stuck in. 

We sometimes go away for three months in the winter so it’s handy to have curtains and table lights operating automatically based on sunset times to give the impression someone is home. 

4FA18213-B250-4D8C-A031-E67B0DC6C5C0.jpeg

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Bit of a faff to set up but then I worked out it could save me 116.8 kilometres of curtain pulling during the rest of my life I got stuck in

That’s bloody hilarious. Nice one. 😀