MoT test.

Happier diner

7 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Bollocks.   The certificate is only good on the day it is written while the car is still upon the ramp in the garage.  No amount of testing would have stopped this.  

maybe,  but who gets a new tyre down to canvas in 12 months on the isle of Man ??  that's some mileage unless they're a wheelspin wanker.

• Like 2

It's coming, without a doubt - as others have alluded to, nobody knows what Daffers has signed us up to at COP, anything major to do with emissions reduction will see vehicles having to be tested for such.

Plus we'll have a shiny new £7.5M Testing Station finished soon, that will have to be justified and the money recouped, £50 a test to you Sir.

On top of the £130M they already have out of us.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's coming, without a doubt - as others have alluded to, nobody knows what Daffers has signed us up to at COP, anything major to do with emissions reduction will see vehicles having to be tested for such.

Plus we'll have a shiny new £7.5M Testing Station finished soon, that will have to be justified and the money recouped, £50 a test to you Sir.

On top of the £130M they already have out of us.

MoT all at one centre? In the UK it’s done at approved garages. The DOI would never manage to get all the cars tested there. Also some MoTs are £39 iro. I bet this island would rip off its motorists like anything. MoTs would also apply to Trucks, Vans, Campervans and Motorcycles. What about TT fortnight, any non roadworthy motorcycles or vans, will they be taken off the road? 

From a personal perspective I travel regularly to the North West of England, my vehicle is well maintained, tyre condition observed, along with checks on wipers, screen wash etc.  If you take care of a vehicle, don’t drive stupidly, you don’t get pulled up by the police, who in turn won’t check your vehicle. 

NB - you are right to mention vehicle emissions and this is major test on the MoT. Like you, Daffy will use this as a big stick to beat the motorist, whilst Ashford will be looking at how much money it will raise for the Government to be added to the Vehicle Licensing. Another professional cottage industry will spring up. 

Edited by 2112

55 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Bollocks.   The certificate is only good on the day it is written while the car is still upon the ramp in the garage.  No amount of testing would have stopped this.  

It will raise lots of money, for Government, to waste on other projects. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can see it being driven as a requirement by insurance companies. It might even be a requirement soon to have a valid certificate to drive that vehicle on UK roads. As has been said though, MOT = bollox. I've brought a good few vehicles over from the UK now with MOT's less that a couple of months old, and I wouldn't of been cheeky enough to bring them to our test centre they were so bad.  It's all to easy across to pay a mate with a garage to just issue the cert. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt said:

I can see it being driven as a requirement by insurance companies. It might even be a requirement soon to have a valid certificate to drive that vehicle on UK roads. As has been said though, MOT = bollox. I've brought a good few vehicles over from the UK now with MOT's less that a couple of months old, and I wouldn't of been cheeky enough to bring them to our test centre they were so bad.  It's all to easy across to pay a mate with a garage to just issue the cert. 

If garages doing MoTs are dodgy across, then I would I have serious misgivings here, as our Government is not unknown for being white than white and pure, and keeping to the rules. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

MoT all at one centre? In the UK it’s done at approved garages. The DOI would never manage to get all the cars tested there. Also some MoTs are £39 iro. I bet this island would rip off its motorists like anything. MoTs would also apply to Trucks, Vans, Campervans and Motorcycles. What about TT fortnight, any non roadworthy motorcycles or vans, will they be taken off the road? 

From a personal perspective I travel regularly to the North West of England, my vehicle is well maintained, tyre condition observed, along with checks on wipers, screen wash etc.  If you take care of a vehicle, don’t drive stupidly, you don’t get pulled up by the police, who in turn won’t check your vehicle. 

NB - you are right to mention vehicle emissions and this is major test on the MoT. Like you, Daffy will use this as a big stick to beat the motorist, whilst Ashford will be looking at how much money it will raise for the Government to be added to the Vehicle Licensing. Another professional cottage industry will spring up. 

Are you saying that non roadworthy vehicles should not be taken off the road.?  ANPR Cameras should identify any visiting vehicles that do nott have an Mot. 

I don't see why the IOM should be so different from every other country in the Western world by not having a test for vehicles. 

We already seem to think we have the best condition vehicles with the best drivers (who don't need speed limits, or insurance, or vehicle checks, or vehicle tax). 

Perhaps we need a reality check. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That will be the reason. Nothing to do with road safety. Just to do with justifying building a £7.5M facility that they had no need for. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I could walk down my street and find cars and vans with bald tyres without even trying. Ford connect vans with holes in the sills. There is even a Ford focus with towels for wiper blades. 

MOTs would just be used by DOI as another income stream to prop up their gold-plated projects.

It would be worth having a mobile team of half a dozen people patrolling streets and car parks issuing on the spot fines or seizing vehicles where it's really bad. It would be miles cheaper and get most of the same results. 

There are enough shit wrecks on the road it wouldn't be difficult to arrange.

• Thanks 2