MoT test.

Happier diner

6 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I thought a number of us had suggested a reasonable method of checking vehicles and creating a situation where one never knew when one's vehicle would be checked, in other words, keep your vehicle roadworthy or get it taken off the road. Not just once a year but at random!

A much better road safety strategy would be regular, compulsory update sessions, ( not necessarily tests).

You can’t do those tests at the side of the road really though. You need it up on a ramp for a proper look, at which stage, people probably need some notice to bring it to said ramps. 

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The only fatal accidence I can remember caused by a defective vehicle over here was one that was tested annually anyway.

If there was no need for driver testing then why do we have a driving test centre?

Surely you have to concede that many more accidents are caused by defective driving than defective vehicles.

Logic would dictate therefore that it makes much more sense to test drivers regularly rather than vehicles, or at least before we start testing vehicles.

Vehicle maintenance could form part of the driver education.

I really don't get why some people don't see the logic in this. I can only imagine it is because it would affect them as well as the great unwashed who can only afford an older vehicle , or perhaps it is lack of tolerance of anything different from where they come from. Whatever it is it, it isn't purely motivated by road safety, that's for sure.

Ah but for how many minor accidents could it be a factor?

Unless there’s a fatal, you can anticipate that many single vehicle accidents are purely blamed on driver error or a slippery mountain road. 

Vehicle maintenance used to be essential, cars simply didn’t have the longevity and reliability they do now. How often do you end up with a flooded engine these days, or have to adjust your points?

I’ve seen cars here advertised as ideal for a new driver, with the caveat that the brake warning light is on (usually indicating low fluid, which shouldn’t be leaking from a sealed system) and the “brakes aren’t great”. That isn’t the worst shed I’ve seen for sale either.  This was up for and sold for about £400. 

Driver talent is a different question, and a different debate entirely. Germany for example have very stringent driving standards. Norway make you do a course in a skid pan as part of learning to drive. Learning to drive in Norway costs thousands. But they have 3 fatalities per 100k vehicles vs 5.7 in the UK. 

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I’ve seen cars here advertised as ideal for a new driver, with the caveat that the brake warning light is on (usually indicating low fluid, which shouldn’t be leaking from a sealed system) and the “brakes aren’t great”. That isn’t the worst shed I’ve seen for sale either.  This was up for and sold for about £400. 

Makes a change from the usual Airbag warning lights, ABS/Traction control faults and seat belts that don’t recoil or tension properly

12 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Makes a change from the usual Airbag warning lights, ABS/Traction control faults and seat belts that don’t recoil or tension properly

Lights on dash but drives fine just a sensor, no knocks or bangs. Recent oil and filter. I know what I have no messers first to see will buy. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Lights on dash but drives fine just a sensor, no knocks or bangs. Recent oil and filter. I know what I have no messers first to see will buy. 

Oil and filter!? You mean service light reset and as the car burns oil it’s been topped up, probably with a litre of wrong weight oil they had leftover from another service. ‘Manx car from New’ is the one that gets me, how on earth is that a good selling point? 
Most important thing for me on an MOT would be brake lines, structural rust and fuel/oil leaks. It’s things people won’t know about unless told, very few people get underneath their own car to have a look, yes annual service should pick these up but lots of people don’t bother with an annual service and only take their car to a garage when they either hear or feel something is wrong with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Thank goodness my old Landy has no sensors, no computer, no ABS, no air bags and it's only done just under 200.000 miles without accident and has only been going for 59 years.

Maybe it has been looked after?

It’s looked after because you obviously care about the vehicle and you have an affinity with it. I’m sure should it be MOTd it wont have problem. Therein lies the problem, people who take care, treat it as a pride and joy, and those who treat it as a disposable commodity. After all it’s not expensive to do the simple things, bulbs, wipers and tyres etc. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s looked after because you obviously care about the vehicle and you have an affinity with it. I’m sure should it be MOTd it wont have problem. Therein lies the problem, people who take care, treat it as a pride and joy, and those who treat it as a disposable commodity. After all it’s not expensive to do the simple things, bulbs, wipers and tyres etc. 

Doc's Landy would actually be MOT exempt in the UK, it'd fall into the historic vehicle category.

The argument from the Department from Transport essentially being:

The thinking behind the decision, according to the DfT, is that these cars are “usually maintained in good condition and used on few occasions”. The decision also eases concerns that garages might not be adequately testing cars over this age, because the modern MOT applies less to cars of this age. 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mot-exemption-cars-over-40-years-old-starts-20-may

Note that quite a few people with vehicles that are exempt will still get them MOT'd, as they want to ensure that it is indeed roadworthy.

• Like 2

You see it all the time. It’s slightly scary, and there isn’t much excuse with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and all the magic voice assistants. 

Interestingly, in the UK, it’s only illegal to communicate using your mobile phone. Games and videos etc are fair game. It’s a loophole that’s being closed imminently. 

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Interestingly, in the UK, it’s only illegal to communicate using your mobile phone. Games and videos etc are fair game. It’s a loophole that’s being closed imminently. 

And even more interestingly the change is being driven by research into accidents and how they are caused.

As opposed to "my neighbours van is a bit rusty and I know someone who's wiper blades are knackered - lets bring in an MOT"

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

And even more interestingly the change is being driven by research into accidents and how they are caused.

As opposed to "my neighbours van is a bit rusty and I know someone who's wiper blades are knackered - lets bring in an MOT"

There’s a difference between rusty and holes you could put your fist through that would fail a Manx test, without even bringing out the corrosion assessment tool. 

The MoT was brought in for older vehicles in the 60s, to keep a minimum viable standard of road worthiness. 

The Department for Transport actually list some of the horror stories they see come MOT time. 
https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/category/horror-stories/

9 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Rather than MOTs perhaps anyone caught using their phone whilst driving could be banned for a minimum of 3 years, that would soon remove vehicles of the roads!

Actually heard from a driving instructor the other day that they have to tell pupils not to use their phones behind the wheel, not just once but repeatedly!

I agree. This is the biggest danger on our streets at the moment. You see them everywhere. I call them the 'down glancers'