Migrant Crisis?

Max Power

I don't know what the UK is doing to welcome the migrants and refugees crossing the channel, but it obviously must be a lot more than EU countries are willing to do? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53734793

I can't help thinking that the answer lies in their countries of origin and what the 'international community' is willing to do to put things right for them?  

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Minimum wage legislation would apply just the same.

It makes sense to me now that Britain has lost so much of its workforce and potential workforce which used to come from the EU. 

Did you see some of the living conditions some East Europeans worked under in the EU, in particular the agriculture industry? Equated to slave labour.

Like most Remoaners you seem to regret the loss of the exploitation of those forced to work for a pittance.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

I don't know what the UK is doing to welcome the migrants and refugees crossing the channel, but it obviously must be a lot more than EU countries are willing to do? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53734793

I can't help thinking that the answer lies in their countries of origin and what the 'international community' is willing to do to put things right for them?  

I believe it is a bit of a myth peddled by some of right wing press and their supporters that the UK is doing a lot more than EU countries re migrants and refugees. Per the attached report the UK ranks 14th in Europe in terms of the number asylum applications per capita and France and Germany i believe accept much larger numbers of asylum seekers than the UK.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I believe it is a bit of a myth peddled by some of right wing press and their supporters that the UK is doing a lot more than EU countries re migrants and refugees. Per the attached report the UK ranks 14th in Europe in terms of the number asylum applications per capita and France and Germany i believe accept much larger numbers of asylum seekers than the UK.

You believe rightly. And the IOM should indicate it’s readiness to help out.

It is pure selfishness ( exemplified by charity boxes proclaiming “ all money stays on the Island” is a good thing when we benefit so much by global medical research really pisses me off. I won’t put a penny in them)

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I think you misunderstood what I was babbling about, I'm wondering what the attraction to the UK is, it's not all about wanting to be with family members already here?

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Stop interfering and having wars in the countries of origin would be a good start...

People are attracted to the UK because of the language not the benefits.   A lot of people speak English as a second language so coming to the UK is easier as a result. 

The channel crossings have got worse since the UK Government closed many of the legitimate routes into the country.

Brexit, ironically,  has made deporting failed asylum seekers harder as well.  I think it was the Dublin convention which allowed for that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think you misunderstood what I was babbling about, I'm wondering what the attraction to the UK is, it's not all about wanting to be with family members already here?

Possibly but in saying that the UK is doing "a lot more than EU countries are willing to do?" you appeared to be suggesting that because the UK was doing a lot more than other EU countries it was attracting more asylum seekers.  Since the UK govt report shows that the UK ranks 14th in Europe in attracting asylum seekers either the UK is not doing a lot more than other EU countries are willing to do or if they are then Asylum seekers still are not that fussed about coming here.

As Manxman1980 says, one of the attractions of the UK must be the language but also the past links the UK has in terms of historically being part of the Commonwealth or British Empire. Whilst many do dislike the UK many still think the "England" stands for Justice, Fair Play etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

But our rate per capita is lower than much of Europe, so surely the question is what the lack of attraction to the UK is?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

But our rate per capita is lower than much of Europe, so surely the question is what the lack of attraction to the UK is?

That's very true, but when you look at the queues of people, camping out and waiting to take their turn to pay the smugglers to put them in a rubber boat to take their chances in the channel? Many of them have walked for months to get to Calais! The main reason we haven't taken so many as other countries is that they are easier to get to? 

I think France is turning a blind eye to this on purpose. Worse, they may even be encouraging it. As soon as those poor souls leave France by whatever method, they are no longer the problem of the French authorities and become the problem of the U.K.  Somehow, I think France quite likes that. 

27 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think France is turning a blind eye to this on purpose. Worse, they may even be encouraging it. As soon as those poor souls leave France by whatever method, they are no longer the problem of the French authorities and become the problem of the U.K.  Somehow, I think France quite likes that. 

I am sure they are and any country probably would. Just like the UK Government want to limit the number of asylum seekers I expect that France and most other countries do as well. They are unlikely to voluntary agree to take steps to assist another country which is presently taking less than half what they are if that increases their own numbers. 

There is a huge political dimension in this and much of what the UK Government say and that is reported in the right wing press is not trying to solve the issue but to appeal to supporters. Boris is suggesting that France agree to letting UK police operate in France to try and stop the crossings, have UK boats operating in French waters to try and stop and to get France agree to accept the return of asylum seekers. Those suggestions, which he made publicly, are to appeal to supporters but he will know they would not be acceptable to France. Think of the outcry in the UK if the UK allowed French policeman operate in parts of the UK, or agreed that French boats could operate in UK waters, or agreed to aslyum seekers being returned. 

Leaving the EU has not helped as some arrangements that were in place to the UK are no longer there, but obviously Boris can not say that. One of the big benefits of Brexit was that the UK would be able to control its own borders and have total control. Well as we are see that is not really possible and without international agreements etc one country may say we are going to expel migrants and asylum seekers but unless another country takes then it is meaningless rhetoric.  

There will always be migrants including asylum seekers.  How you manage in a world of globalisation I have no idea. The one thing I do know is that the harder you make it the more you push these people into the hands of criminal gangs etc if that is the only it appears you can get to the UK.  More needs to be done to stop these criminal gangs rather than their victims. 

• Thanks 1