‘inappropriate’ to insist that the next chief executive of the DHSC live on the island.

Manx17

Anyone else thinking, why our health Minister is insisting that it does not matter where they live. Instead of providing the public what benefits are to be gained by it. What the persons track record and achievements are, to be trusted to work remotely. Would a private company be able to do the same. Set up in the Isle of Man and work in a different country. Would they not be seen as tax dodgers and a solution to not needing a work permit? 
Is the new health Minister up to the job?

Edited by Manx17

You can’t force someone, but the clue is Isle of Man, it’s an island. You can commute by boat or plane, but you pay the cost. You are subject to weather issues or technical problems. Also what if there are out of hours emergency meetings and Saturday meetings? 

Im afraid the position is a high salary role, in the UK you can travel 40 miles to your place of work, an hour or longer and travel back after 5 back for 7. Anyone who is remotely serious about the role and cares would and should be prepared to move here, even with relocation of expenses. Our politicos are useless, spineless and absolutely afraid of upsetting people. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Surely the last two years of the pandemic have proved it. Do you have a link for this ? Any minister suggesting that a chief public servant to IOM Govt and the taxpayer who pays them doesn't have to reside here, clearly lacks judgement and experience. 

Surely the last two years have shown the exact opposite?  That you can work perfectly well remotely?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No, but all the suppliers and partners I work with in the UK are still working from home.

There is no problem someone being off island and working here in my opinion.

But they won’t be here or if they do come here, who is paying for their travel expenses? 
the whole point being why hasn’t the Health Minister not promoted what we are to gain from it, or the persons track record of already doing the job from a different country before. I just find it really odd his remarks about bricks and water is his priority, when our health service is diabolical at the moment . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think you can safely assume that the job has already been given to Kathryn Magson who has been commuting for the last few years as CEO of the DHSC given the focus on Hooper attempting to justify an off island candidate who will [continue to] travel here. 

I suspect you're right. What leadership did she bring to the Dept through the last two years ? How many Covid briefings did she appear at ? Missing in action throughout.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I suspect you're right. What leadership did she bring to the Dept through the last two years ? How many Covid briefings did she appear at ? Missing in action throughout.

A lot more on waiting lists, and blaming covid even though we were covid free for 7 months that year. She also ignored a doctors advice to lock down early that could of prevented deaths in a nursing home. If I remember rightly. Hopefully it’s not been given to the same person , or maybe that’s why where they live is the important issue so everything else is forgotten about.

DA was very condescending about people waking up to remote working, then we had Covid.

It is possible, and works on many levels, but for a CEO?  They miss getting the feel of the organisation, water cooler type chatter (very informative) and being visible and accessible in leadership. If I had an issue, I would prefer a quick face to face chat, not email or phone call. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Leading from the rear never works.

Those who hired her have some explaining to do...

• Like 3

Do you people think massive businesses with hundreds of offices around the world get a personal visit from the CEO each week?

We live in a tiny little island.

Hundreds of Millions of people will have never met the CEO of their organisation and will work in buildings the CEO doesn’t even know exist.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

DA was very condescending about people waking up to remote working, then we had Covid.

It is possible, and works on many levels, but for a CEO?  They miss getting the feel of the organisation, water cooler type chatter (very informative) and being visible and accessible in leadership. If I had an issue, I would prefer a quick face to face chat, not email or phone call. 

I agree with this although I am also an advocate of bringing in the best talent for the role which sometimes means someone that "commutes" or at least works that way in a junior role and is groomed for the CEO position.