‘inappropriate’ to insist that the next chief executive of the DHSC live on the island.

Manx17

13 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I thought the reason d'etre of projects like LoveIOM card, work permits, promoting gaming etc. was to keep money on the island circulating (the spend £1 and it 'creates' £7 in the economy as it gets passed through various transactions) yet the government are quite prepred to have a CEO of locally delivered service live off island and 'phone it in'.

Begs the question, why do we need CGO at all? Maybe all of the CS should work from home stop renting offices and flog off the Sea Terminal, Murray House etc. Imagine the millions a year we'd save on maintenance and office refurbs, take the strain off of transport and roads, no subsidised canteen needed, more parking available. 

Would be great for accountability too as every email, Teams meeting and phone call could be recorded for posterity.

After all if its good enough for the DHSC CEO in the aftermath of a pandemic and the dire state of social care, mental health services, waiting lists, access to GP's and dentists... then it ought to be good enough for all of the other mandarins and great majority of desk jockeys.

Anyone who claims that leading from the rear is ok, not so much the "headquarters" but rather the "hindquarters", clearly doesn't understand what leadership is all about.

You could probably manage a situation, badly, with a "hands off" approach but you certainly couldn't lead the situation to a satisfactory conclusion.

Without knowing first hand what is going on at the coalface as a leader you're completely bollocksed....

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I thought the reason d'etre of projects like LoveIOM card, work permits, promoting gaming etc. was to keep money on the island circulating (the spend £1 and it 'creates' £7 in the economy as it gets passed through various transactions) yet the government are quite prepred to have a CEO of locally delivered service live off island and 'phone it in'.    

Well such things are only seen as being important for other people not themselves.  It's a very 'colonialist' mindset where they issue the instructions and the natives in the distant colonies are supposed to tug their forelocks and gratefully do their masters' bidding.  Remember that most of the non-executives on the Manx Care Board live off-Island as well.

I suspect there's also the factor that, because the last CEO they appointed lived off-Island, therefore it must be OK for the next one to do so as well.  To say otherwise would be to admit they made a mistake (which is exactly what all subsequent events proved) and we all know that is the one thing that can never be admitted in the Manx Civil Service.

Hooper really needs to get a grip on these people and Cannan needs to back him in doing so.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Manx17 said:

Anyone else thinking, why our health Minister is insisting that it does not matter where they live. Instead of providing the public what benefits are to be gained by it. What the persons track record and achievements are, to be trusted to work remotely. Would a private company be able to do the same. Set up in the Isle of Man and work in a different country. Would they not be seen as tax dodgers and a solution to not needing a work permit? 
Is the new health Minister up to the job?

The minister is wrong but unfortunately not the type of person to change his mind, no matter how many good reasons those pesky taxpayers throw at him. We’ve seen that in the past and also during the elections. 

Some jobs you can do remotely. I work remotely now with loads of colleagues dotted all round the globe. Not a problem but then we’re not running a crucial department for a whole country.

Of course should the DHSC boss live here. To say otherwise is simply wrong and makes me worry if the person saying so really understands what’s involved and how to run such an operation well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Both Prof. Ashford and Hooperman are wrong. The position warrants residential status. For no other reason than you can look them in the eye across their desk/boardroom table and watch their body language when the shit hits the fan. They are answerable to us the taxpayers and our representatives. The position is not a data inputting job like remote back-office workers. 

Utter bollox.

This. 

Now more than other Manx Care needs strong, visible, on the ground leadership. Someone who will challenge and support, face to face in equal measure. 

The bit that fuddles me is why you would opt to pay upwards of 40% tax on over £100k of your salary by staying in the UK? At the very least you’d but a flat here and commute on and off at weekends.  

If the Island can’t attract executives with big salaries and low income tax we may have a problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

https://gef.im/2021/11/27/an-even-bigger-job-than-anticipated/

I wonder if Sir Jonathan's views were sought on this particular issue.  There is a link to his report which may cover it. 

Interesting quote from report

The separation of policy and deliverance was intended to result in DHSC being smaller. His report outlines that this has not really happened .

Anyone could have told Sir Michael DHSC wouldn’t reduce staff, they stayed the same just doing less work

• Like 1

20 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'd feel better if anyone in charge of our health service should also have to use our health service

I think that would be the ideal situation that the island ought to be looking for, but realistically and pragmatically...

22 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

... Businesses employ the people with the best skills and experience for the job.

We are a small windswept island in the middle of the Irish Sea with very little to attract people who can pick and choose where they want to work.

Insisting people move here would massively reduce the number of people prepared to do the job.

... is the situation you are in. 

I pointed out in the thread about the Summerland site (I think somebody had suggested establishing a university on it) that there is really very little on the Isle of Man - apart from some admittedly beautiful scenery - to attract students to study there or people to work there.  I spent a couple of years working on the island after graduating, but then left and since then have never felt that there was anything there that was more attractive to me than where I was in the UK.

I also think a major difficulty the IoM faces in recruiting senior public sector workers is the question of where it stands (or doesn't stand) on the career ladder.  Where do you go after working in the Isle of Man - even if you've been responsible for running an entire public service - or is it effectively a dead-end?  Is being responsible for providing a health service to a population of just 80,000 people an attractive entry on your CV?

If you insist on post-holders living on the Isle of Man, then I suspect you are probably more likely to attract people either approaching the end of their careers or those slightly younger ones content to spend years and years in some quiet back-water until retirement.  Neither is likely to provide the sort of dynamic leadership you want.

And why can't the island produce its own senior people?  I worked in the civil service for a couple of years in the early 1980s and, although many of the senior treasury officers were English, most of the other "Boards" seemed to be run by native Manx people.  Are things different now?  Where did it go wrong?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

...The bit that fuddles me is why you would opt to pay upwards of 40% tax on over £100k of your salary by staying in the UK? At the very least you’d but a flat here and commute on and off at weekends...

I think the tax position on the Isle of Man might well be completely unimportant if you want to attract the "right sort of person" for the job.  I suspect it's far more likely to attract the attention of the wrong sort of person.

I don't know, but what's the island's track record in terms of employing senior civil servants etc from the UK?  Have they been successful?

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

...If the Island can’t attract executives with big salaries and low income tax we may have a problem.

Despite what i've written above about the "right sort of person", it does sort of indicate that living on the IoM may not be as attractive as many people think it is...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Anyone could have told Sir Michael DHSC wouldn’t reduce staff, they stayed the same just doing less work

With the creation of Manx Care creating even more jobs doing what DHSC had done previously.

Such as this is why we apparently have such a job-rich, buoyant economy.

And a @ £500M annual wage bill.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

With the creation of Manx Care creating even more jobs doing what DHSC had done previously.

Such as this is why we apparently have such a job-rich, buoyant economy.

And a @ £500M annual wage bill.

Surely one of our new MHKS should be asking when will DHSC reduce in size in line with Sir Michaels report rather than asking about aesthetics of airport etc

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I think that would be the ideal situation that the island ought to be looking for, but realistically and pragmatically...

... is the situation you are in. 

I pointed out in the thread about the Summerland site (I think somebody had suggested establishing a university on it) that there is really very little on the Isle of Man - apart from some admittedly beautiful scenery - to attract students to study there or people to work there.  I spent a couple of years working on the island after graduating, but then left and since then have never felt that there was anything there that was more attractive to me than where I was in the UK.

I also think a major difficulty the IoM faces in recruiting senior public sector workers is the question of where it stands (or doesn't stand) on the career ladder.  Where do you go after working in the Isle of Man - even if you've been responsible for running an entire public service - or is it effectively a dead-end?  Is being responsible for providing a health service to a population of just 80,000 people an attractive entry on your CV?

If you insist on post-holders living on the Isle of Man, then I suspect you are probably more likely to attract people either approaching the end of their careers or those slightly younger ones content to spend years and years in some quiet back-water until retirement.  Neither is likely to provide the sort of dynamic leadership you want.

And why can't the island produce its own senior people?  I worked in the civil service for a couple of years in the early 1980s and, although many of the senior treasury officers were English, most of the other "Boards" seemed to be run by native Manx people.  Are things different now?  Where did it go wrong?

This.

The island isn’t an attractive proposition to most people (I am only here because my family are)

There is nothing unique.  It is a dull and boring pace to live and thank god we can now get on and off for weekends again.

People who think we can attract top talent here are deluded.  What would they want to come and live here?  The money offered isn’t t even that attractive