City of Douglas

Amadeus

It's the Bee Gees statue isn't it. They mistook it for the Manx building a cathedral to honour their gods. I told you all not to use the statue for Sunday service. But did you listen?. Noooooo. You had to lower your heads and say four "Our Maurices" and five "Hail Robins". You had to sing such classics as "Christ Fever", "More than a virgin" and the ever popular "Christ christ christ christ he's stayin alive...stayin alive." I tried to warn you as you read passages from the book of Gibb that it would do no good for the island. Did you listen?. No, and here we are. A city.

Posted (edited)

What a load of old tosh. The only thing it will change is we will now be called the city Hall and a one hundred thousand pounds plaque to recognise all the city councillors. Let’s waste some more money

Edited by Manx17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Looking at the comments on Facebook I'm now convinced people will moan about literally anything.

They probably know it’s going to cost a fortune 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorian dad said:

I sense a new set of commemorative stamps will  be imminent. 

Stamps? I guess a whole schedule of jollies will now be planned by councillors and MHKs, specifically aimed at wasting ratepayers and taxpayers cash, all in the name of promotion. The first waste of money will probably be the rebranding of the Council, it’s stationery and corporate identity. 

No money to fix things but there will be money to celebrate. 

• Like 2

What? I don’t believe this is even a thing, oh I live in a city now, it used to be a lowly town but now it’s a city, joy of joys, I’m so grateful…

Peel might not have won the competition but Peel is the sunset city (how does that change?) and let’s be honest, I don’t think the Queen even looked at the applications, let alone awarded anything to Douglas. 

What’s the difference between Douglas and Peel? Douglas is a city, totally pointless really. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Costly and pointless. Rob Callister and Allinson will milk this for years thinking it will help bring in the 500,000 tourists a year. The 6 Douglas MHKs will be cock a hoop with joy waiting for the ceremony to confer city centre, along with the council. 

Still David Ashford will be overjoyed …………….. as it’s created better headlines, and taken the focus away from his antics.

Edited by 2112
  • Sad 1

Douglas is a town, if the people wanted it to be a city then there should have been a popular vote, a bunch of unelectable councillors getting a title from an unelected old woman does not make one jot of difference to me. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1