City of Douglas

Amadeus

On 12/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Paulos The Great said:

It’s probably some ploy to make Devon Watson the city’s self-appointed (or is that self-opinionated) King 

isn't Devon a South African ? or some sort of Johnny  foreigner ,? must have a Manxie  as first citizen , 

• Like 1

I dunno. Does anyone in Douglas (or anywhere else for that matter) give any kind of a toss whether Douglas becomes a city or not? Except for Douglas councillors of course. I was outside the town hall the other week and there's a photograph of all of them on an announcement board outside. Massive hats! I wonder how many of them will be standing in the next general election? Not zero, you'll see! There are already manoeuvrings. Not least of all on MF. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

I dunno. Does anyone in Douglas (or anywhere else for that matter) give any kind of a toss whether Douglas becomes a city or not? Except for Douglas councillors of course. I was outside the town hall the other week and there's a photograph of all of them on an announcement board outside. Massive hats! I wonder how many of them will be standing in the next general election? Not zero, you'll see! There are already manoeuvrings. Not least of all on MF. 

trouble is you have got them for the next 4 years like it or Not ,, it will be a metropolis next , all this is costing money ,

The trouble is there is not a lot of incentive to serve on the council, no real money in it just expenses  so little interest shown to stand and the very low turn out by voters indicate there is very little interest in who gets elected.   The public don’t seem to be aware how much power the Town Council have from setting rateable values to deciding how to spend the revenue they raise.

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The trouble is there is not a lot of incentive to serve on the council, no real money in it just expenses  so little interest shown to stand and the very low turn out by voters indicate there is very little interest in who gets elected. 

It's a springboard to get further up the hill and if you can get in uncontested then happy days! Mark my words. 

• 2 months later...

Why should a lot a lot of the places that have applied be made cities ?   It is a celebration of the Queen’s Jubilee year and an idea that has been dreamed up by a civil servant who is trying to get the event noticed and inclusive it will cost the British Government nothing , will not mean a lot, but apart from changing stationery and putting a few signs up it will not cost the earth but give the town some prestige.   So why not Peel it is one of the prettiest parts of the Island that has not been concreted over with a Cathedral, and the most beautiful sunsets and views popular with locals and visitors.  Douglas on the other hand…….

• Like 1