Beginning of the end for Boris Johnson

Shake me up Judy

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s normal. But not mandatory.

Theres one interesting “revenge” strategy. He goes to the Queen tomorrow and seeks a dissolution and fights a general election. I discount that option, but it’s possible. 

I recognise that's a possibility, but practically would he be doing so as leader of the Conservative Party? Or will there be two Conservative Partys depending on whether the sitting MP is pro-Boris or not?

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

Quite a bizarre resignation letter ...

https://www.mikefreer.com/news/resignation-government

He seems to be resigning in the name of LGBTQ+ rights because it is what Thatcher would do.

Not sure it’s bizarre.

As minister for LGBT equality issues he’s faced with Boris’s volte face on the banning of conversion therapy for Trans people.

He’s successor as MP to Margaret Thatcher in Finchley. He’s merely alluding to the fact that when she lost the confidence of her MP’s and was told to go by her cabinet, she went.

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

I recognise that's a possibility, but practically would he be doing so as leader of the Conservative Party? Or will there be two Conservative Partys depending on whether the sitting MP is pro-Boris or not?

That’s what happened to the Liberals in the 1920’s. There was a pro and anti Lloyd George lot

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

Quite a bizarre resignation letter ...

https://www.mikefreer.com/news/resignation-government

He seems to be resigning in the name of LGBTQ+ rights because it is what Thatcher would do.

A common theme running through all the resignation letters is that they want shot of Johnson but are desperate not to lose the support of their constituents because they want to stay on being a tory MP.

Playing the Thatcher card in her old constituency is really naff but some folks are very gullible. Which is why we are in this mess in the first place....

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s what happened to the Liberals in the 1920’s. There was a pro and anti Lloyd George lot

And the Liberals finished 3rd and 4th. You could also argue Ramsey MacDonald, managed to stay in power following the National Labour split but that require the Tories to prop him up. I can't see Boris getting support from any other major party.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Theres one interesting “revenge” strategy. He goes to the Queen tomorrow and seeks a dissolution and fights a general election. I discount that option, but it’s possible. 

I’m willing to bet that the Queen would also discount that option. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The Borexit list so far

Cabinet

Chancellor Rishi Sunak

Health Secretary Sajid Javid

Ministers

Will Quince, education minister

Alex Chalk, solicitor general

Robin Walker, education minister

John Glen, Treasury minister

Victoria Atkins, justice minister

Jo Churchill, environment minister

Stuart Andrew, housing minister

Kemi Badenoch, levelling up minister

Neil O'Brien, levelling up minister

Alex Burghart, education minister

Lee Rowley, business minister

Julia Lopez, culture minister

Mims Davies, work and pensions minister 

Rachel Maclean, Home Office minister

Mike Freer, equalities minister

Parliamentary private secretaries

Jonathan Gullis, Northern Ireland Office

Saqib Bhatti, Department of Health and Social Care

Nicola Richards, Department of Transport

Virginia Crosbie, Welsh Office

Laura Trott, Department of Transport

Felicity Buchan, Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy

Selaine Saxby, Treasury

Claire Coutinho, Treasury

David Johnston, Department of Education

Duncan Baker, Department for Levelling Up

Craig Williams, Treasury 

Mark Logan, Northern Ireland Office

Others

Bim Afolami, vice-chairman of the Conservative Party for youth

Andrew Murrison, trade envoy to Morocco

Theodora Clarke, trade envoy to Kenya

Did the cat get a vote…

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

He’s waiting to see the outcome of the back bench 1922 committee election, it’s 13 July, whether the 1922 committee then change the no confidence challenge rules, then it’s summer recess in Westminster from 15 July.

Rumour has it that the existing 1922 committee may well make the change to the rules just to get rid of Johnson if he doesn't step down.

That would mean the committee election becomes a bit of an irrelevance. 

Just now, manxman1980 said:

Rumour has it that the existing 1922 committee may well make the change to the rules just to get rid of Johnson if he doesn't step down.

That would mean the committee election becomes a bit of an irrelevance. 

They have already announced they won’t do that. But they’ve brought the committee election forward from 13 July to 11 July and it’s pretty sure there’ll be a clean sweep by anti BoJo MP’s. 

They can then change the rules, or, if by then there a a majority of no confidence letters, they could tell BoJo that he either goes or they change the rules.

I know I am going to be a lone voice on here.

There is no way I wanted a Tory government in the UK but it seemed inevitable. As such I would rather it had been Boris Johnson rather than any other leadership candidate.

Yes he has shown very poor judgement on occasions, (Partygate etc) but it was not him who was groping men in the Carlton Club.

I feel very uncomfortable that the 1922 committee may change the rules as a mechanism to get him out. Seems almost like cheating to me ( like say calling for a second Brexit referendum)

He has shown balls in the face of the visitation by the MP’s and that’s the sort of leader you need.

But no doubt he will have to resign ere too long.

• Haha 1

When the tories needed a shameless liar to 'get brexit done', Boris was the man of the hour — problem was, he didn't just lie through his teeth to sell brexit, he seems to be unable to honest about anything at any time. Has there ever been a politician so disrespectful of his own character as this turd of a man? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

When the tories needed a shameless liar to 'get brexit done', Boris was the man of the hour — problem was, he didn't just lie through his teeth to sell brexit, he seems to be unable to honest about anything at any time. Has there ever been a politician so disrespectful of his own character as this turd of a man? 

Plenty of them.

They didn’t need a shameless liar to “”get Brexit done”. Just someone to implement the will of the people.

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just heard that Boris has sacked Gove.

Like him or hate him he really does have some balls.

According to the BBC pundits that action really demonstrates just how much Bozo has lost it. He will throw anyone under a bus to save his own skin...

Like trying to grab an eel in a barrel full of oil.

• Like 1