Beginning of the end for Boris Johnson

Shake me up Judy

Sir Keir Starmer Stammer must go for the proverbial jugular very soon. He needs to capitalise on the current Tory weakness now. As I read it, it looks like BoJo will not be PM for much longer. I am convinced that he has annoyed the rest of his party once too many times and they are already sharpening their ‘knives’.

Edited by code99
I was being facetious, sorry

10 minutes ago, code99 said:

Sir Keir Stammer must go for the proverbial jugular very soon. He needs to capitalise on the current Tory weakness now. As I read it, it looks like BoJo will not be PM for much longer. I am convinced that he has annoyed the rest of his party once too many times and they are already sharpening their ‘knives’.

It is very interesting to watch the difference between Sir Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner when fronting up PMQ's.  Sir Keir manages PMQ's like he is in a court room and generally remains very calm but doesn't really improvise or drift from his script.  Boris Johnson seems quite happy dealing with this approach and will happily lie safe in the knowledge that Starmer is unlikely to pull him up on it and instead move on to his next point.

Compare that to Angela Rayner who seems to delight in thinking on her feet and is happy to really press Boris Johnson.  That results in Johnson spluttering and spouting nonsense.  He just does not know how to deal with her.

It's a shame that Starmer can't seem to tap into that because he must have done so in the court room in the past.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Compare that to Angela Rayner who seems to delight in thinking on her feet and is happy to really press Boris Johnson.  That results in Johnson spluttering and spouting nonsense.  He just does not know how to deal with her.

I expect that Johnson would deal with her much better if she was a man. I am not sure if it is her approach he has an issue with or that he does not know how to deal with her because she is a woman. Probably a bit of both.

I think if she was up every week he would find a way to cope. Just ignoring and not answering the questions as usual. I think being able to do a PMQs every now and then does give her an advantage and suit Labour at present.

15 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He did not break the ministerial code

To split hairs, Lord Geidt said he did not break the ministerial code. Some may be of the opinion that Lord Geidt came to the incorrect conclusion.

I am sure Lord Geidt is a man of integrity but it should be remembered that he was appointed by Johnson when his predecessor resigned after Johnson did not accept his report that Patel had not broken the ministerial code. In this case it seems Lord Geidt came to the decision that Johnson simply forgot to provide Lord Geidt with copies of damaging whatsApp messages and that he had contacted Lord Brown re the Trust etc far earlier than he had previous told Lord Geidt as he had changed phones. Lord Geidt simply seemed to be prepared to accept the word of Johnson on the matter despite Johnson being a convulsive liar.

It reminds me of an episode of Yes Minister many years ago when a bank lost a fair bit of money because they simply replied on a persons word without doing any checking as they went to the right school and were a member of the correct clubs. Heaven forbid you could not accept a "Chaps Word". This reminds me of that. Pretty clear that Johnson tried to hide the matter and was caught, but for Geidt if Johnson said he had forgotten about the matter that was good enough for him. (you can't doubt the word of an old Etonian now can you)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lost Login said:

It reminds me of an episode of Yes Minister many years ago when a bank lost a fair bit of money because they simply replied on a persons word without doing any checking as they went to the right school and were a member of the correct clubs. 

Yes Minister together with It ain’t half hot mum are probably the most two unfunny programmes in the whole of British “comedy” broadcasting 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:57 AM, manxman1980 said:

I think the journalists want to expose the PM and his cronies as the lying scumbags they are.

The biggest question is what do the owners, such as Murdoch, want out of this. 

No It’s always the same. Political Journalists will always have a pop at those in power. Twas ever thus Nothing new. It’s all part of the game from the days of Disraeli and Gladstone and probably before.

Its a bit naive to think otherwise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, opusManx said:

The first video clip of the MP's relaying their own and citizens' accounts of loss and inability to appropriately grieve with the departing/departed is quite moving.

The second video of Johnson et al.'s obfuscation and flippancy is to a similar degree, appalling.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/11/conservatives-anger-pressure-boris-johnson-no-10-parties-pmqs

I cannot see a change in the leadership of the Conservative party soon unless they have a plan to offset the cost of living rise due o inflation, gas bills etc.  For the Tory party they may think it is better for Boris still be around when the public get hit by those and then replace him later in the hope that the public blame Boris not the party so a change in Leadership sees a bounce in the polls. I expect Boris to issue an apology today, if he does not simply try and lie and get away with it as normal, as would partly take the wind out of oppositions sales at PMQ's and I cannot see any other option that would start to make the story go away.