Jump to content

Anyone know what’s going on with Saffron Ramsey?


The Voice of Reason
 Share

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m happy to meet up for a trip to Bradford, or Wilmslow Road, Rusholme, Manchester Curry Mile or Birmingham Balti Triangle.

One of the best curry houses in the NorthWest is Sultan of Lancaster. I often pop in if I’m catching the the 02.15 from Heysham. They don’t serve alcohol, but really good Lassi, and their fresh lemon sherbet is spectacular 

Nice offer, thanks, but I won't be going off-island for the foreseeable. Maybe next year?

Thanks covid!

(due to money issues, not doom-coven membership)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zarley said:

Nice offer, thanks, but I won't be going off-island for the foreseeable. Maybe next year?

Thanks covid!

(due to money issues, not doom-coven membership)

Just keep it in mind

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, The Phantom said:

Kurries & Steaks used to do some incredible Tandoor Lambchops (curry meat lollipops) but last time I went, they weren't doing them anymore and alas it was a complete shambles in there. 

The chef that used to do them left to set up on his own.  He now runs Flavours towards the bottom of Broadway, on the left more or less opposite the Villa carpark gates.  He will cook whatever you wish, given a bit of notice. 

There is always a 'specials' board with local produce when possible.  Not the cheapest, but by far the best in town, but don't tell everyone!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, war baby said:

The chef that used to do them left to set up on his own.  He now runs Flavours towards the bottom of Broadway, on the left more or less opposite the Villa carpark gates.  He will cook whatever you wish, given a bit of notice. 

There is always a 'specials' board with local produce when possible.  Not the cheapest, but by far the best in town, but don't tell everyone!

Just back. It was very good. Thanks for the tip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, excellent! Rahul was chef somewhere else and has set up this with his Wife(?). Some different and well presented dishes. A particularly nice garlic dish. Very friendly service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went recently to Saffron. Food good, service not so.

Anyway was surprised to see despite being the claims of being under new management the chap who appeared to manage the Spice of India ( when it was where GoodStuff is now and when it moved to St Pauls Square) walk through the door and into the kitchen.

Make of that what you will. The food have always found to be good but something odd about whether it is managed from Manchester or Milton Keynes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2022 at 2:17 PM, Happier diner said:

Anyone tried Orange Indya?

 

I've been as well.

Really liked it.

Believe the owner and chef is from Pakistan rather than India so not traditional indian. Small menu but, for me, food was very well done and service excellent. Assume the one lady serving is the wife of owner.

I did have someone in work go who's normally a korma type person. There wasn't anything as mild on the menu and she asked for it to be like a korma. Apparently he did something specifically for her but still too hot and she didn't like it. She is a bit of a miserable sod though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jackwhite said:

I've been as well.

Really liked it.

Believe the owner and chef is from Pakistan rather than India so not traditional indian. Small menu but, for me, food was very well done and service excellent. Assume the one lady serving is the wife of owner.

I did have someone in work go who's normally a korma type person. There wasn't anything as mild on the menu and she asked for it to be like a korma. Apparently he did something specifically for her but still too hot and she didn't like it. She is a bit of a miserable sod though.

I’ll give you a Josem statistic ( you’ll have to check it because it might be made up ).

90% of UK Indian restaurants are owned/run by people with a Bangladeshi/Pakistani heritage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, Kopek said:

Yes, excellent! Rahul was chef somewhere else and has set up this with his Wife(?). Some different and well presented dishes. A particularly nice garlic dish. Very friendly service.

I *THINK* the chefs from Kurries & Steaks and Aura went to Flavours (on Broadway) and Orange Indya. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Went recently to Saffron. Food good, service not so.

Anyway was surprised to see despite being the claims of being under new management the chap who appeared to manage the Spice of India ( when it was where GoodStuff is now and when it moved to St Pauls Square) walk through the door and into the kitchen.

Make of that what you will. The food have always found to be good but something odd about whether it is managed from Manchester or Milton Keynes.

That would be enough to put me off for life

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ll give you a Josem statistic ( you’ll have to check it because it might be made up ).

90% of UK Indian restaurants are owned/run by people with a Bangladeshi/Pakistani heritage.

:D I agree , In the UK certainly a great number (and best) are as you say. The dishes are not really authentic Bangladeshi/Pakistani they are typically tailored for the British taste buds (not always though)

That's OK for us as our favourite 'Indians' are in Bradford/Manchester/Brum

On the Island they seem to mostly Indian and there is a small pool of Chefs who circulate. 

Edited by Happier diner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I've been as well.

Really liked it.

Believe the owner and chef is from Pakistan rather than India so not traditional indian. Small menu but, for me, food was very well done and service excellent. Assume the one lady serving is the wife of owner.

I did have someone in work go who's normally a korma type person. There wasn't anything as mild on the menu and she asked for it to be like a korma. Apparently he did something specifically for her but still too hot and she didn't like it. She is a bit of a miserable sod though.

We thought the mixed stater was absolutely delicious. But we thought the mains were a let down. Too sweet and fruity. The service was great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...