Is Longworth now working at the Airport?

Manx Bean

47 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

£35k to look after some toy trains. Nice!!

No to help someone else manage the looking after of the rolling stock.  With an enormous network like the Isle of Man you can't expect someone to do it on their own.  They'll run out of fingers and toes when they have to count them up. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No to help someone else manage the looking after of the rolling stock

"Assistant Rolling Stock Manager, to lead and support our Railway maintenance workshops teams and engineering activities"

Apparently the Rolling Stock Manager has more important things to do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

I don't mind Mr Longworth, although I've never met him. The treatment he gets on MF borders on hysteria. I bet it doesn't bother him though. 

The guy has dodged many bullets and survived because he has been supported by ministers at DCCL/DOI who were not bright enough to challenge him, along with 'I had a change in medication and have no memory of what I concessions I agreed last Friday' Nick Black. I have said it many times, IL has ridden roughshod over the islands procurement system since his arrival, he has abused our works permit system, spent unnecessary money on egotistical projects, and has a dubious H&S record under his watch. The treatment he has had on MF is justified!!! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Amadeus said:

He's regarded highly in some circles for increasing passenger numbers on the buses since taking over. 

23 hours ago, Amadeus said:

No idea, but I think it's fair to say it all depends how KPIs / OKRs were set and measured, and anyone skilled in this can massage that as needed. 

Hi Frank,

Is he highly regarded or are people bamboozled by his flannel? I remember when Pearson was head of Highways, he sent a damning email to IL advising IL/Cregeen to return to Tynwald and correct his statement regarding Bendy Buses, after IL requested C/town Sq should be closed to private vehicles to allow safe passage for Bendy Buses - Pearson certainly had the measure of Longworth. When I met with Teare and Procurement, I can tell you without question that they were far from impressed with his antics.

After the disasters of Ball and Co, IL had an easy ticket, and probably set his own KPIs/OKRs tbf. The lack of parking, higher employment levels in Douglas, along with an increase in residents have all contributed to an increase in Bus use, as well as other factors. However, his attitude to the safety of school children (supported by Black and several ministers) has been utterly shameful IMO, and the writing was on the wall when he wanted to cram 150 kids like sardines on a Bendy - the consequences of an accident were potentially catastrophic. 

If you speak to some people with authority (even when talking shoit) they are convinced you are telling the truth, people like Cregeen etc, were too dumb to question him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 3/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Amadeus said:

He's regarded highly in some circles for increasing passenger numbers on the buses since taking over. 

The bus service here is the best I’ve known it in 40 years. In terms of service, reliability. 

In most places at least. 

But his cussedness on some issues - staff matters, some routes, the railways - outweighs that success. 

• Like 1

......and that's not to say if we gave him another 20mil to spend he could not improve the service even more?

There comes a time to cut a spendthrift loose?

Others could probably confirm that any Manager could have achieved as much?

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, Will Halsall said:

Hi Frank,

Is he highly regarded or are people bamboozled by his flannel? I remember when Pearson was head of Highways, he sent a damning email to IL advising IL/Cregeen to return to Tynwald and correct his statement regarding Bendy Buses, after IL requested C/town Sq should be closed to private vehicles to allow safe passage for Bendy Buses - Pearson certainly had the measure of Longworth. When I met with Teare and Procurement, I can tell you without question that they were far from impressed with his antics.

Mr Pearson unfortunately didn't last too long IIRC and departed fairly quickly? I remember he ordered the removal of a lot of apparently superfluous road signage between QB and Ballacraine and the removal of the traffic lane dividers at the QB itself in order to improve traffic flow?

Maybe he didn't quite fit into the mould of spending money for the sake of spending money which would make him a marked man in DOI.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Mr Pearson unfortunately didn't last too long IIRC and departed fairly quickly? I remember he ordered the removal of a lot of apparently superfluous road signage between QB and Ballacraine and the removal of the traffic lane dividers at the QB itself in order to improve traffic flow?

Maybe he didn't quite fit into the mould of spending money for the sake of spending money which would make him a marked man in DOI.

2010 - 2014 He took voluntary redundancy, make of that what you wish but I thought he felt that he was unlikely to climb any higher up the ladder while Black was running ruining the show - maybe his tea leaves said 'get the feck out now while you can because the Prom is going to make you look a right txxt? 

His email reply to Longworth was straight to the point and critical of IL.

• Like 3