IOMs top civil servant is a good & saintly man

Mr Penfold

I am a bit unfamiliar with how all this Facebook/Twitter stuff works, but just for interest I looked up Will Greenhow  on LinkedIn.

He states that his Skills & Endorsements are Microsoft Office, Customer Service, and Research.

Does that mean that being Chief Secretary involves no more than secretarial-type work?

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am a bit unfamiliar with how all this Facebook/Twitter stuff works, but just for interest I looked up Will Greenhow  on LinkedIn.

He states that his Skills & Endorsements are Microsoft Office, Customer Service, and Research.

Does that mean that being Chief Secretary involves no more than secretarial-type work?

Secretarial work for Alf!

42 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

A secretary, in the old fashioned sense, was the keeper of records. In other words, an administrator.  That's why we have secretaries of state, company secretaries, chief secretaries, general secretary, etc. 

A secretary in the sense that you refer to is another keeper of records but for an individual, as a more general distinction. An amanuensis, if you will. 

Edited by Gladys
Addition.
  • Like 1

I always thought a secretary was someone who sat on your knee in an houdstooth mini skirt? Perhaps i'm mis-remembering?? Or desperately trying to remember!!!

Home Affairs was usually regarded as a low budget, low skill requirement, learning dept? will g seems to have skipped a step or two?

Perhaps the Cab office was not, when he was put there, the most powerful dept in the govt but it has become so and he has evolved along with it, he may be doing well or he may be out of his depth??? Who is to know or who is going to say so???

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

I have just noticed that the articles in question were written by Adrian Darbyshire who I thought had left IOM Newspapers last year. Has he come back, or is he writing or practicing journalism from behind a computer screen? 

Freelance

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

I always thought a secretary was someone who sat on your knee in an houdstooth mini skirt? Perhaps i'm mis-remembering?? Or desperately trying to remember!!!

Attitudes & comments like this are best left in the 60’s. Not funny.

• Like 5

To be fair, Greenhow's response is pretty much how I read the judgement. That the correspondence to the claimant failed to address the point that he raised that he could - stop the sale, evict his tenants and move in. Greenhow should acknowledge that was an error. But it's not really a human rights abuse because Greenhow would have reject entry on that basis too. It's just an example, of a complainant looking for a pyrrhic victory and poor complaint handling by the Government meant he got one.  

20 hours ago, Mr Penfold said:

I wonder how many cats up trees they get to report on in a week? 

Not many cats up trees. But there are lots of murders (mudders) to report on, they are always on BBC and they always get solved even if it does take about 6 weeks per case.

1 hour ago, ubbiali said:

Not many cats up trees. But there are lots of murders (mudders) to report on, they are always on BBC and they always get solved even if it does take about 6 weeks per case.

Yes, but that is only working one day a week, unless the police stream their investigation.  

• 2 weeks later...

The regulations specifically said that you had to be a resident of the Isle of Man, and this is defined as the island being your principle place of residence. Clearly he was not living here if his house was tenanted and he was selling it to his tenants. If he said his primary residence was a tenanted property I'd go as far as to say he lied on the form.

He could have asked to come in to sell his house, and his application should have been considered on that basis. It would have been rejected, but it should have been considered. 

• Haha 2