Huge Ramsey Rates Rise for 2022

Non-Believer

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Braddan rates going up a lot but conveniently no % mentioned but I reckon it must be c10% , have to dig last year’s bills out 

Their website is showing increases for the last two financial years:

2020/2021 203p

2021/2022 224p

image.png.cc8944470f47bd9e453872d8e9af8ecd.png

image.png.6ad8f45c15b9f32d94331bc08d235c9c.png

Seems like Jessop and his mob have developed a taste for spending. 

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

224p to 230p in the pound for 2022? Also, is the new fixed Refuse cost replacing something or in addition to what's already there?

Reads like in addition to rates , says average extra £1.71 per for 3 bed house 

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

224p to 230p in the pound for 2022? Also, is the new fixed Refuse cost replacing something or in addition to what's already there?

Seems like an additional charge. 

The public sector is growing fond on de-scoping things, only for them to then be added as an additional cost on top of what has already been paid for (see Douglas Prom). 

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I suspect that what we're seeing here is setting the pattern for years to come, energy costs are going to impact both central and local government more and more. Govt is shackled to the incinerator with no other alternative for refuse disposal and SITA/SURE will be as impacted by fuel costs as much as anybody else - their costs will rise and be passed on down. My concern would be that reducing the refuse delivered to them might also serve to drive up their prices as they seek to maintain their profit (I was advised a couple of years back by an acquaintance with connection up there that it's a very, very profitable operation).

Refuse collection, transport and disposal is probably the biggest expense for any LA, they will reign in and cut other services in order to maintain the core services of refuse disposal and minimise impact on the rates, even though those rate rises might still seem extortionate. We are going to be paying more and more for fewer and fewer services.

Of course, those fewer and fewer services theoretically mean that there could be cuts to expenses and staff not involved in the remaining services. But given the inability of our elected at all levels to address the ongoing increase in PS numbers, let alone enforce any cutbacks, that's unlikely.

Private ratepayers are going to be digging deep for years to come, we better get used to it.

The whole mess needs sorting. Housing, refuse, street lights and sanitation need to be centralised. 

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

Reads like in addition to rates , says average extra £1.71 per for 3 bed house 

The previous rates charge must have had a component within for refuse; if this new charge is implemented, surely that original charge should be rescinded?

Braddan Commissioners must be on a fair take on business rates alone with the likes of the development and expansion up the Cooil?

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd lob this into a Ramsey Rates thread. This is the Ramsey Parliament Square Xmas tree offering for 2023, complete with festive sandbags to stop it being blown away. Is this really the best that Ramsey residents can expect for the 2nd-highest rates on the Island?

Screenshot_20231124-055841_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Christmas is a celebration of chinese tat, so this is fitting.

£8k - worth of Chinese tat I'm reliably told, surely a proper tree wouldn't have cost that to put up? Then again, it's RTC, they could probably double that - or the cost of illuminating it for the Xmas period has ruled it out.