Know Any Good Lawyers?

GD4XXX

Hi all,

The stormy weather we had over the weekend blew down a fence that was on the border between me and my neighbour next door. I thought it would be fair if we both chipped in half the cost of getting it sorted but he seems unwilling to cough up. He's previously declined to chip in towards the cost of maintaining our shared driveway, too. Can anyone recommend a knowledgable lawyer in the subject of neighbour disputes who doesn't charge a mint? I'd like to get a half hour's advice on where I stand to kick off with.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, GD4XXX said:

Hi all,

The stormy weather we had over the weekend blew down a fence that was on the border between me and my neighbour next door. I thought it would be fair if we both chipped in half the cost of getting it sorted but he seems unwilling to cough up. He's previously declined to chip in towards the cost of maintaining our shared driveway, too. Can anyone recommend a knowledgeable lawyer in the subject of neighbour disputes who doesn't charge a mint? I'd like to get a half hour's advice on where I stand to kick off with.

Cheers.

Is the fence maintenance in the deeds of either house?

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Is the fence maintenance in the deeds of either house?

No mention of the fences (not in my deeds anyway). The driveway does have a covenant for upkeep of the driveway, though.

I still offer free half hours. You can phone or e-mail. I’m in the book. It’ll have to be a very expensive fence where half the cost exceeds the lawyers fees.

Pragmatically, get a couple of quotes, copy to the neighbour, tell them which you are going to choose, unless they say otherwise within 48 hours.

Ask them to confirm they’ll pay their half and say that, having taken legal advice, you’ll take them to small claims if they don’t pay within 28 days of you providing a copy of the receipted invoice.

• Like 3

How much is the fence? How skint are you? Do you really want to live next door to someone you've got the lawyers on or taken to small claims court?

Are you in the right? Quite possibly. You need to choose your battles though. Being friends with your neighbours makes your home (and garden) a nicer place to be. So he/she is not arsed about the fence, or the drive, that's their opinion, you may not like it. you may not understand it, but you have to respect it. Either adopt the same opinion or pay for the repairs.

I always think the IoM is a small place. You have to be careful who you upset, I've learned that from experience. Your neighbourhood is a lot smaller though, so be even more careful. Getting on with people is a much more pleasant experience than falling out with them, especially someone as unavoidable as your next door neighbour.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2022 at 1:16 PM, GD4XXX said:

No mention of the fences (not in my deeds anyway). The driveway does have a covenant for upkeep of the driveway, though.

Are you sure about the fence bit? In my area the fences between the properties are the responsibility of the homeowner whose side the posts are on if it's a rail and board type fence. So in my back garden looking out from the house, I'm responsible for the fence on the left hand side but my neighbour on the right is responsible for the fence on the right hand side, if that makes sense? 

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Are you sure about the fence bit? In my area the fences between the properties are the responsibility of the homeowner whose side the posts are on if it's a rail and board type fence. So in my back garden looking out from the house, I'm responsible for the fence on the left hand side but my neighbour on the right is responsible for the fence on the right hand side, if that makes sense? 

Well, clearly I need to know my stuff before going into combat if I'm to avoid looking like a twat. Nothing further to add at this stage. Thanks, all!