Russia

Sentience

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/15/zelensky-remarks-ukraine-nato-membership-russian-invasion/

That was from today. 

Though joining NATO was never going to be something that the West would have wanted for Ukraine. They could make pronouncements how it might be something for the future but it's so provocative for Russia that it just isn't beneficial. 

There is an interesting article on the CNN website that kind of intimates where Putin's head is (other than in his ass). It seems that Putin's verve for the Russian homophobic Orthodox Church, and that Church's upset over the decision in 2018 by parts of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to sever ties with the Russian Orthodox Church, could be partially responsible for his barbaric invasion of Ukraine. This all harks back to reestablishing the 'greatness of Russia' during medieval times. Sounds familiar?

If I had to choose one thing that I agree with Karl Marx, it would be religion is the 'opium of the masses', and now apparently religion has become the opium of the Kremlin. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/14/europe/patriarch-kirill-putin-spiritual-battle-intl-cmd/index.html

Edited by code99
homophobic

In the meantime: "Russian forces shoot and kill 10 people standing in line for bread, US Embassy in Kyiv says."

Utterly despicable beneath contempt Putin and his henchmen - The Hague is coming for you!

8 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Sarcasm still allowed in Russia 

Looks like something our Cabinet Office Communications would produce...

My goodness, so right *highly risky strategy*. Say he'll be a pariah, say he will be totally isolated, say we will not cooperate with him while he pursues authoritarian aggressive strategies, but my goodness regime change? Has the US not learnt anything? What incentive are we giving for Putin to back down? Who's narrative are we feeding more.

Russian nationalist grievance narratives are basically being confirmed here, not disabused.

• Confused 1

Nobody is yet considering the Russia-internal effects of Putin being responsible for the return to date of bodies of <10,000 Russian soldiers in bodybags to their families in the name of his twisted political vision.

Regardless of his grip on power, the will of the Russian people may yet be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1