DBC Megathread

Max Power

4 hours ago, Gizo said:

Another 20pages of moaning ratepayers. Just deal with it. It’s happening. Stop buying shit from china, and Amazon. Buy local, go to the shops before they become extinct, stop buying food online and recycle. 
and guess what you’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

Well some houses have 6/7 people residing & no matter how careful you are there’s still going to be a lot of rubbish over 2 weeks in 1 bin!

Were in Braddan where we get weekly bincollection & recycling every 2 weeks so not an issue & cheaper rates 😀

Edited by Banker

40 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What is the reason for this behaviour? Are the driveways too small to be useful, or already occupied by a caravan, for example?

If you park on your drive some other inconsiderate nosher parks outside your house and blocks you in.

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes when the fly tipping starts (as it will) it will all become clear. Also even when you don’t fly tip I’m struggling to work out how it’s more beneficial for the environment for me, my neighbour, and everyone else in the street, to drive our own green waste and other stuff to the recycling centre every week in our own cars than it is to have one fuel burning bin wagon pick up everyone’s green waste every week and take it to the tip? 

As we all know it's nothing to do with the environment it all about saving money (helps keep the free bar going!):ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we all know, it's about 'responsibility'!

Stop gardening, the Bees and Butterflies will appreciate that. Flowers only last a week? Wild flowers go on all summer.

Pack your bin tightly and you'll get twice as much in it. Don't seal half a bag of air in it, crush the air out, lay it flat in the bin.

Done!

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There must be a weight limit for wheelie bins.

I managed to get about 5 CWT of soil and rubble in mine once, the bin lorry made some interesting noises lifting it!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m actually not sure what it’s about. Cynically I think it’s probably about certain people building up credentials as concerned citizens in order to stand for Keys next time round. The green wave seems to be the one to position yourself to ride for next time around. 

What I think is its about trying to balance the books as they would seem to be top heavy with management etc like all public funded outfits over here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

What I think is its about trying to balance the books as they would seem to be top heavy with management etc like all public funded outfits over here. 

But like all PS bodies here, their only recourse to balancing the books is to increase charges and cut services to those whom they purport to serve.

That they might countenance turning the knife upon themselves is unthinkable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

But like all PS bodies here, their only recourse to balancing the books is to increase charges and cut services to those whom they purport to serve.

That they might countenance turning the knife upon themselves is unthinkable.

Sadly thats true. The old adage ,Turkeys don't vote for Xmas comes to mind ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, finlo said:

As we all know it's nothing to do with the environment it all about saving money (helps keep the free bar going!):ph34r:

Yes. But we should all be celebrating the massive saving that DBC will be making. £25,000. I mean that's about a whole £ per person per year. Not to be sniffed at! I mean its not possible that that saving will be offset by the cost of cleaning all the rubbish off the streets for the next 12months not to mention the longtails and seagull menace is it?.

If we want to encourage recycling we should encourage it. Trying to force it doesn't work. They tried this in many council areas in the UK 30 years ago. Never worked. Some councils now have 2 bins (proper wheelie bins not a crappy plastic tub that you have to keep inside). That has a chance. DBC's suggestion will fail miserably, piss everyone off and save nothing.

Expect people to be going round at 2 in the morning dumping their rubbish in other peoples bins

• Like 2

21 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes when the fly tipping starts (as it will) it will all become clear. Also even when you don’t fly tip I’m struggling to work out how it’s more beneficial for the environment for me, my neighbour, and everyone else in the street, to drive our own green waste and other stuff to the recycling centre every week in our own cars than it is to have one fuel burning bin wagon pick up everyone’s green waste every week and take it to the tip? 

I don’t think it has been well thought out. There are multiple of people complaining. You would think a sensible approach would be taken by doing a trial run, of emptying recycling tubs weekly. As I’m unsure how larger families are going to fit a fortnights worth of recycling Into two small tubs. Also I don’t think they have taken into account that not everyone drives. Also we get near every year a hose pipe Ban. So water there will be wastage, washing container and tins out. But I’m sure they have data to show that we have enough water for the whole of Douglas to do so. Im hoping too they have had a meeting with the real culprits (super markets) and not just penalising the general public that may have to live among the rubbish. I wouldn’t mind when they first brought out recycling they burnt it in the incinerator to keep it going. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I wouldn’t mind when they first brought out recycling they burnt it in the incinerator to keep it going. 

This.

We/they have spent squillions on an incinerator AND recycling.

Put the whole fucking lot in the incinerator and stop pissing tax and rate payers money up the proverbial wall.

ETA: The Isle of Man Where You Can..... not see the wood for the trees!

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2