Jump to content

Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months


offshoremanxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

KWC is fairly inconveniently placed for residents though, and nowhere near as safe to walk to as the current Castletown pool.

The proposed pool will back onto JC, you can walk CRHS to KWC in 10 minutes, the main road next to it has a pelican crossing on it, the pavement is reasonably wide, and while people do regularly exceed the 30 limit it is a road that does already have fairly regular enforcement on it.

I think those that has suggested the KWC one will end up getting gov funding and take over as the southen pool are probably right, and if thats the best solution then that's ok, but I'm a bit irritated by so little happening with CRHS in general though, my little one starts there in Sep and so his entire secondary education is going to be on a building site.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Yeah, true enough. Are KWC going to have the pool be open free to the public after they took a million or so of public money over Covid despite collecting normal term fees?

Won’t be free to public but available for hire to clubs etc, isn’t that the same as the existing pool?

I don’t think they did collect normal fees as most of overseas & boarders pupils weren’t there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61607702.amp

Edited by Banker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

but I'm a bit irritated by so little happening with CRHS in general though, my little one starts there in Sep and so his entire secondary education is going to be on a building site

No different 30 odd years ago when I was there.  Building site, lessons in portacabins, classrooms unfit for purpose.  No desire for pupils to excel, unless you were top bracket. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

No different 30 odd years ago when I was there.  Building site, lessons in portacabins, classrooms unfit for purpose.  No desire for pupils to excel, unless you were top bracket. 
 

Progress is slow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 1:05 PM, Banker said:

There’s a new pool approved at KWC for use by all so seems pointless putting more money into castletown pool. Anywhere else in UK with population of 87000 have 5 pools to serve population?

 

Shetland. But their population is only about 23,000 so might not be a fair comparison

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yorik said:

Shetland. But their population is only about 23,000 so might not be a fair comparison

But Shetland received billions from the oil industry  over the years   and invested it wisely   I think the main pool is heated from their district heating scheme  which is linked to their energy from waste plant ,  and because they have a deep water port they attract many cruise ships but the income goes direct into the local economy  not syphoned off to nationalised museums ,  railways  and a loss making bus company ,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

But Shetland received billions from the oil industry  over the years   and invested it wisely   I think the main pool is heated from their district heating scheme  which is linked to their energy from waste plant ,  and because they have a deep water port they attract many cruise ships but the income goes direct into the local economy  not syphoned off to nationalised museums ,  railways  and a loss making bus company ,

To be fair, I was just trying to take the piss 🙂

But you make some very good points. Here's what we could have won...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 1:26 PM, TheTeapot said:

my little one starts there in Sep and so his entire secondary education is going to be on a building site.

 

That may be a minor detriment to his education compared to having a Teapot as a parent.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Omobono said:

But Shetland received billions from the oil industry  over the years   and invested it wisely  [...] not syphoned off to nationalised museums ,  railways  and a loss making bus company 

Subsidy of about 2 million a year.  Admittedly if they had the advantage of Longworth they could make it much higher, but public transport always needs subsidy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Subsidy of about 2 million a year.  Admittedly if they had the advantage of Longworth they could make it much higher, but public transport always needs subsidy.

Total public subsidy of flights, inter island ferries and buses, for ZeTrans, is about £4million. Plus 60% Scottish Executive subsidy of fares on NorthLink ( and the provision of the ferries ).

Bulk it up to an equivalent population and it’s about £12million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, John Wright said:

Total public subsidy of flights, inter island ferries and buses, for ZeTrans, is about £4million. Plus 60% Scottish Executive subsidy of fares on NorthLink ( and the provision of the ferries ).

Bulk it up to an equivalent population and it’s about £12million.

Close to "billions" then...:whistling:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Rob Callister has taken to Facebook again today as Chairman on the MUA telling us all how bad it’s going to be by Xmas. You get the impression that he’s trying to get in early so that he can tell people I told you so by the time there’s a riot about their winter MUA bills. He doesn’t seem to be doing much about any of it all though just stating the obvious.

At least it will stop all these working from home types from smugly working from home as their domestic bills spiral out of control. They’ll all be back in their warm offices burning someone else’s electricity soon enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The girl who answered my call to the MUA , I was increasing the amount of my monthly direct debit, said I may have to increase it again soon as prices are anticipated to rise again in October.    

They've recently almost doubled my DD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2022 at 1:34 PM, Omobono said:

But Shetland received billions from the oil industry  over the years   and invested it wisely   I think the main pool is heated from their district heating scheme  which is linked to their energy from waste plant ,  and because they have a deep water port they attract many cruise ships but the income goes direct into the local economy  not syphoned off to nationalised museums ,  railways  and a loss making bus company ,

We've got Crogga on the horizon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...