Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

If that’s true then Alf needs to go on another sacking spree. 

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Another?

Sadly the DOI didn't receive his full attention last time. 

Slash and burn is the only remedy for that basket case.

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Sadly the DOI didn't receive his full attention last time. 

Slash and burn is the only remedy for that basket case.

Fully agree this governments failure to tackle the CS is a fucking embarrassment. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bandits said:

Fully agree this governments failure to tackle the CS is a fucking embarrassment. 

The CS/PS are the largest political lobby on the island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20220809-205838_Facebook.jpg

Of course if Sowell actually believes that, he should call for the banning of all types of limited company as well, including PLCs, LLPs and the like.  I suspect he hasn't.

This isn't just a debating point.  The phenomenon of power without responsibility is actually much more imbedded in the private sector than it is in the public one and the rewards are greater (including such things as guaranteed pensions).  Even those who fail at one thing tend to pop up elsewhere if they have the right contacts.  The rest of society is often left to pick up the pieces of business failures, while those responsible giggle all the way to the bank.  Even things like the dreadful corporate jargon that is used comes from the private sector.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

DfE and DHSC seemed to be the focus of his last efforts. 

Not sure how many CS's were culled as a result of Alfs actions

Unless you know different. DEFA have had a good turnover recently, but again for different reasons.

What I am saying is that if Alf is going to do a major clear out of Civil Servants, it will be his first, not his second.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 8:57 AM, Roxanne said:

If ever there was time to encourage more residents to move here - then this isn't it.

A friend of mine based in UK was considering applying for a position with IOMG. Sent me a message only a couple of days ago to ask various questions on living standards, costs for various aspects of every day life etc. I was about to respond to him today and tell him that now was probably not the best time to move to the Island when he told me that he'd secured a job in the Middle East! He's had a lucky escape.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

A friend of mine based in UK was considering applying for a position with IOMG. Sent me a message only a couple of days ago to ask various questions on living standards, costs for various aspects of every day life etc. I was about to respond to him today and tell him that now was probably not the best time to move to the Island when he told me that he'd secured a job in the Middle East! He's had a lucky escape.

The Isle of Man Help and Advice Facebook page seems to be the go to for people wishing to relocate to the island. Obviously most people will sing it’s praises and tell them of the virtues of living here - it has a load of good things, but the idiots have dragged the island down. 

15 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

Same as they did over covid. Supply emergency top ups for people who are directly affected. Say pick any household that earns under the average Manx wage (which is round £27K) and bung them £500 in October or given them an extra £1500 in their tax coding. 

But this penalises us folk that work 60hrs per week to get by. If it was averaged to a gov style 37hr week  , then ok. I don't want to work these hours, but have to pay my mortgage,  maintenance for kids ect.  

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

a job in the Ukraine would be a better option than here.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's sounds like the straw that broke the camel's back to me.

I hope he gets his just deserts!

14 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

5% when bills are doubling and some is not a bad lift for doing nothing though . As for being rich , not me I assure you and never look at the VAT content as nothing I can do about it. Do look at consumption though and there going to get very little from me ! 

I was teasing about the 'being rich' thing, but it is astonishing how few people do understand how VAT, tax etc work.  In this case, inflation on domestic energy (long term) will have to be four times that of for other (vatable) items to have the same effect.  That's assuming that UK government doesn't get rid of the 5% in their desperate search for a benefit from Brexit.

• Like 1

Anybody who thinks Alf is going to do a Civil Diservice  clearout is living in cloud cuckoo land. Who do you think put him in where he is.  The only reason the other assholes did one is they know what is going to surface from under the lumpy carpet, as eventually the shite will float to the surface

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was teasing about the 'being rich' thing, but it is astonishing how few people do understand how VAT, tax etc work.  In this case, inflation on domestic energy (long term) will have to be four times that of for other (vatable) items to have the same effect.  That's assuming that UK government doesn't get rid of the 5% in their desperate search for a benefit from Brexit.

I just mentioned fuel, pretty sure road fuel incurs a lot more than 5% VAT/duty!