Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

19 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It'd be a bit off - to say the least - if they raided the NI Fund to pay civil service CPI linked pensions, but left the modest Manx State Pension as it is

It’s exactly what they will do though and nobody will say a thing. There must have been at least 20 people predicting the same thing on here for at least the last 10 years. 

• Like 1

A curious point which people maybe able to answer.

If Allinson, CM Cannan and even Ashford keep trotting out the mantra ‘we can’t help everyone’, it means that some businesses are being helped.

What businesses are being helped and what’s the criteria in order to help the business?

* Preferred IOMG contractor?

* A serving politicos on the board of directors   or a shareholder of a business?

It should be noted that we are no longer in the Covid phase. Also the last real benchmark of government support was the Sefton Group, which led to questions after questions with little answers.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

You're right they won't be listened to.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-research-shows-islanders-struggling-with-cost-of-living/

Less than two weeks after research found that many islanders are struggling financially and often go without essentials, while many more expressed concerns about the widening gap between the rich and the poor.

The research was actually done between 5 May and 4 June, and I think released in June, so I'm not really sure why it took so long for Manx Radio to pick up on it.  But I can't imagine that perceptions of how things are going have got any better in the interim.  The research asked a variety of questions in all three jurisdictions (Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and the results are both interesting and useful as a baseline.  The full results are downloadable from here and technically it looks like quite a well-done and reliable survey with a decent sample size (1257 for the Isle of Man) and reasonable weighting to correct for sort of imbalances you get in consumer surveys (young/working class/male respondents being less plentiful).

These are the headline figures:

image.thumb.png.3fffa668ae2c75fb74647dbeacd8156d.png

7% are already in quite bad poverty and another 7% clearly have no savings to cope with even the most minor crisis or increase in costs (and a further 35% said it would be easy).  But nearly half in total have already noticed the strain in the last year.  In addition:

image.png.7f482e1ee17487a4d0fc57efc89d0d19.png

And these groups are very distinctive from each other:

image.thumb.png.30857882fef8d820fceb9c485ff17fcc.png

The young and those with families are those who are already suffering.

And the better off you are , the less likely you are to have noticed how prices have risen:

image.png.9b977df35b3031b3afdd960f57cccf1f.png

This may actually be accurate, those who are better off will have better-insulated homes, won't be paying rent and will have been able to invest in long-term cost-saving measures.  And anyone who has been is a supermarket will know that the biggest percentage rises have been on budget lines , not luxury items.

• Like 3

From this government I expect nothing but one disaster after another. The remainder of the time this administration is in charge will be a tough time for the IOM.

Our politicians say that the IOM has an international standing which is why, for example, we have to tackle climate change.  What value our international standing in dissuading China from ditching climate talks, while we plan to waste another £42m of taxpayers money?.

We haven't even made representations to the UK Government for a share of the windfall tax levied on fuel companies whose fuel we buy here at equally high costs to the UK, and which contributes to the balancing of VAT with the UK.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

From this government I expect nothing but one disaster after another. The remainder of the time this administration is in charge will be a tough time for the IOM.

Our politicians say that the IOM has an international standing which is why, for example, we have to tackle climate change.  What value our international standing in dissuading China from ditching climate talks, while we plan to waste another £42m of taxpayers money?.

We haven't even made representations to the UK Government for a share of the windfall tax levied on fuel companies whose fuel we buy here at equally high costs to the UK, and which contributes to the balancing of VAT with the UK.

Which of our elected numpties are leaving in charge to make representations to Westminster? Don’t tell me, Rob Callister? We are screwed then. 

16 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

They are tackling climate change with what can only be described as a tawdry lacklustre response

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Which of our elected numpties are leaving in charge to make representations to Westminster? Don’t tell me, Rob Callister? We are screwed then. 

Mr Cannan is believed to be often in London for 'talks'

It is suggested on social media that he is an enthusiast for this current notion of dividing England into large freeport areas

I've no idea whether this is correct or not

2 hours ago, Bandits said:

It’s exactly what they will do though and nobody will say a thing. There must have been at least 20 people predicting the same thing on here for at least the last 10 years. 

Although we are often reminded by the politicos who haunt these boards that the NI Fund is legally ring-fenced in order to protect it from such drawdown.

Legislation can, of course, be amended.

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Although we are often reminded by the politicos who haunt these boards that the NI Fund is legally ring-fenced in order to protect it from such drawdown.

Legislation can, of course, be amended.

I bet if COMIN said they were raiding the NI fund to fund the climate change mob, you will see the usual suspects on here wetting themselves in delirious delight at the thought of all that lovely taxpayers lolly to waste of their pie in the sky ideas. Sadly if they wanted to use the funds, like you said legislation could be amended. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Oh I think people will comment. It's a matter of finding out that it has happened

Anything is possible with Tynwald private briefings

The main thing is to move to the UK and get your NI money out of this shit fest before it is blown.

I Give it 6 to 8 years and if you have not left you deserve everything you get, or don't get, as the actual case will be.

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yes, I believe once your pot lands here it's here for keeps!

The UK pot is separate from the IOM. I think if you have < 10 years of contributions to the IOM, you get nothing.

19 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The UK pot is separate from the IOM. I think if you have < 10 years of contributions to the IOM, you get nothing.

IIRC you can buy extra years to make up a deficit but there is a max you can just pay for after the fact..   as UK and IOM NI is now separate i think if you moved here your UK NI pot would  stay in the UK rather than come with you to be robbed by tynwald.  there are now some people thanks to cock steady eddy that have more pension than they expected to get because they have what they had in  the UK ( say 25 years contributions ) and the  another 15 years here giving them 40 years on contributions rather than just the 35 years you max out on if you were solely in one jurisdiction paying in for 40 years, the last 5 years NI add nothing more to your own pension payout , you just pay it.

• Thanks 1