Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Is the DOI his? Yes he is the Department. He is the Chair of the Housing and Communities Board. The Manx Development Corporation is involved and interlinked with the Housing and Communities Board as a supposed arms length organisation. Whilst he may not be directly in overall charge, Chris Thomas has set himself as some sort of a saviour to Housing. In a way perhaps if anything with that organisation goes tits up, some of blame and reputation will come his way. 

MDC was/is Alf Cannan's baby, launched to ensure a secure, vibrant, sustainable island

"an exciting new company, fully operational since September 2021, and operating at arms-length from our sole Shareholder, the Isle of Man Treasury"

https://mdc.im/about-us/

On 8/29/2022 at 4:31 PM, Non-Believer said:

A very glib dismissal of another very expensive faux pas, Chris?

Presumably, "years ago" also applies to the MEA overspend that we're all still paying for and will be for years to come? How long will it be before the Liverpool Terminal costs can be conveniently dismissed as being "years ago" as well then?

These things need to be remembered, not swept aside and dismissed. It's part of the reason why we are where we are. The taxpayers paid for them and still are paying.

Perhaps if some "Lessons" were actually learned rather than the ad infinitum hollow assurances trotted out, the taxpayers of this Island might have more of a cushion against the challenges we now face?

MEA overspend you reference has been addressed in years of select committee and other investigations, and I think three refinancings and electricity pricing policies. Airport matter which was apparently mentioned was before DoI was formed. I joined DoI to tackle current challenges, including through better communication.

Edited by Chris Thomas

23 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I joined DoI to tackle current challenges, including through better communication.

Hey Mr Thomas, I hope you do have some success in that Department. It is needed. Remember at all times that there are people who work for the DoI who lie to their minister, as evidenced over the course of the last 4 or so. Don't get caught out!

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Thomas said:

MEA overspend you reference has been addressed in years of select committee and other investigations, and I think three refinancings and electricity pricing policies. Airport matter which was apparently mentioned was before DoI was formed. I joined DoI to tackle current challenges, including through better communication.

MEA overspend? That's one way of putting it I suppose!

• Like 2

A few posts back I mentioned that inflation was predicted to reach 18% early next year, and was predicted by economists at Citigroup. Yesterday Goldman Sachs issued another forecast of 22% inflation peak for next year. I wonder if those doubters will dismiss the forecasts of Goldman Sachs? 

14 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

Better communication? Increased spin doctors and communications team at the DOI. More Managers, More Government interference and Bureaucracy. I’m sorry Chris, you are not a person who strikes me as wanting to take a sledgehammer to the department and really streamline, and make it efficient. You increased the Cabinet Office (Policy and Reform - more policy than reform) headcount, I can’t see you doing much for DOI. Maybe creating an even bigger empire?

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Better communication? Increased spin doctors and communications team at the DOI. More Managers, More Government interference and Bureaucracy. I’m sorry Chris, you are not a person who strikes me as wanting to take a sledgehammer to the department and really streamline, and make it efficient. You increased the Cabinet Office (Policy and Reform - more policy than reform) headcount, I can’t see you doing much for DOI. Maybe creating an even bigger empire?

FFS give him a chance, only been there a month or so!!

If he can sort some of the brownfield sites I will be happy!

• Like 2

Government announcing that a study has shown that the Median wage in IOM is £600+ at a time when hundreds of people are earning the minimum wage and are in fuel poverty shows how skewed our politicians must be thinking at this time. Our politicians need to realize that one workers spending is another workers job!.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

A few posts back I mentioned that inflation was predicted to reach 18% early next year, and was predicted by economists at Citigroup. Yesterday Goldman Sachs issued another forecast of 22% inflation peak for next year. I wonder if those doubters will dismiss the forecasts of Goldman Sachs? 

Well, we shall see. The price of oil and related commodities has fallen back. There was never a shortage. At the moment, gas prices are very high because several countries (Germany in particular) are buying it all up at virtually any price to fill their reserves. Germany's reserves are at nearly 85% now and it is said they will ease off the panic buying when 85% is reached as that will be enough to see them through the winter. A fall in gas prices is predicted to follow. At the same time, some of Norway's gas pipeline feeds are currently closed for maintenance, also contributing to the high prices. 

I think we are at about the inflation peak right now. 

31 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Well, we shall see. The price of oil and related commodities has fallen back. There was never a shortage. At the moment, gas prices are very high because several countries (Germany in particular) are buying it all up at virtually any price to fill their reserves. Germany's reserves are at nearly 85% now and it is said they will ease off the panic buying when 85% is reached as that will be enough to see them through the winter. A fall in gas prices is predicted to follow. At the same time, some of Norway's gas pipeline feeds are currently closed for maintenance, also contributing to the high prices. 

I think we are at about the inflation peak right now. 

Oil prices have dropped from the peak but are still 50% higher than they were a year ago. I expect them to keep dropping slowly. Gas is all over the place and remember it had gone off the scale before Putins adventures so not likely to drop any time soon, if ever.

I hope you are right!