Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

10 hours ago, Zarley said:

Truss isn't intelligent enough to do any of this on her own: she's a Tufton Street puppet.

https://99-percent.org/trussed-up/ 

The above article lays out in clear language where she's getting her policy advice from and how the policies will fail ordinary people, and the people who will ultimately benefit. 

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/01/18/liz-truss-the-tufton-street-candidate/

Discusses her longstanding links to Tufton Street.

Those are two really informative web articles about Truss and how ideologically aligned to the far right of the Tory Party she is; i.e., much more right-wing than BoJo and probably even more right-wing than Thatcher was! As Truss is clearly not ‘one of the people’, I expect her right-wing policies will lead to ‘lots of money for the rich’, ‘poverty for the poor’ and a whole lot of trouble for the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

There is a sign on the door saying they’re closing indefinitely to see what emerges saw it this afternoon. One on Dunwells the jewelers now too saying closed indefinitely for building repairs. That building looks in pretty good shape to me. 

No sign of any life in or out of Dunwells since they had scaffold up to paint the outside quite a few weeks ago now. My fav coffee shop , Bohemian, opposite so get a good view when in there. I am led to believe its Paul Bell with the money behind Dunwells . 

12 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

No sign of any life in or out of Dunwells since they had scaffold up to paint the outside quite a few weeks ago now. My fav coffee shop , Bohemian, opposite so get a good view when in there. I am led to believe its Paul Bell with the money behind Dunwells . 

Dunwells looks like it has now closed. The owner is a really nice guy.

Edited by Newsdesk

36 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Dunwells looks like it has now closed. The owner is a really nice guy. He gave it a very good and honest go. But without a questionable character buying all your allocated Rolexes to park in their garage it’s hard to trade in this environment.

Neil Dunwell , who your right is a really nice guy , retired quite awhile ago now though and existing staff carried it on for quite awhile . But stock in window seemed less and less so to me looked like the writing was on the wall. As for questionable characters I wouldnt like to comment .  

8 hours ago, code99 said:

Those are two really informative web articles about Truss and how ideologically aligned to the far right of the Tory Party she is; i.e., much more right-wing than BoJo and probably even more right-wing than Thatcher was! As Truss is clearly not ‘one of the people’, I expect her right-wing policies will lead to ‘lots of money for the rich’, ‘poverty for the poor’ and a whole lot of trouble for the UK.

And on the bright side a labour government in a few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

And on the bright side a labour government in a few years.

Hopefully a proper Labour government, not another "New Labour" aka neoliberal Tory-lite like Blair led.

Kier Starmer isn't much better (IMO) but obviously one couldn't get much worse than a Tory government led by a brainless Tufton Street puppet like Truss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Banker said:

The owners have posted on their Facebook page they’re shut for 2 weeks holidays & in Madeira so looks like a false rumor of closures!!

Not false at all, as others have posted comments which back up my original comment. The notice on the door was cryptic and the fact that the windows were covered also raised questions. 

Others have posted about Dunwells, which have been closed for weeks, under the guise of Health and Safety works. Perhaps they are spreading ‘rumours’?

Maybe the building (Dunwells) is falling down, but recently when the shutters have been raised, there is no inside content, no activity and the lights are on. Incidentally Dunwells were the island stockists for a remount watches, which are the official timekeepers of the TT, and they produce a special TT edition watch.

Maybe those on here posting ‘rumours’ which don’t conform to those views of IOMG, its politicos and its flunkies will be deemed ‘enemies of the state’?

If retail shops on Strand Street and other parts of the island are closing, it doesn’t help IOMG flagship policy of growing the population. A poor retail experience, expensive shops, poor choice and Amazon won’t deliver or you have to wait. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Not false at all, as others have posted comments which back up my original comment. The notice on the door was cryptic and the fact that the windows were covered also raised questions. 

The sign on the door is fairly clear. It’s hardly a rumour to say there’s a sign on the door which says X when it’s 100% true. To be honest I think it’s a smart move why burn light and heat when it’s not clear what your demand and turnover is going to be? The same with Dunwells I doubt it’s a building related matter as there’s not a lot of stock in there as you say. But again it would make complete sense to hold off being open until you can see what the landscape is like. It’s completely sensible. I would expect a lot more traders to start doing it as the utility bills start to bite. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, code99 said:

That’s all Brexit Britain was ever to be about. The EU has proposed a windfall tax on the oil and gas companies that’s going to raise €150BN to be used to help out the poor to pay heating bills. And what’s the UK going to do? Truss has already said they won’t put a windfall tax in place so the taxpayer will just pay the increased utility bill costs. In fact worse there’s a suggestion now that the main EU utility providers will switch their supply contracts to their UK subsidiaries and book the profits in the UK so they won’t pay the EU windfall tax and they won’t pay the UK taxes either. Meanwhile the poor get screwed over. The UK has become a dodgy little tax centre where anything goes as long as people make money. 

Edited by Steady Eddie
Punctuation
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Zarley said:

Kier Starmer isn't much better (IMO) but obviously one couldn't get much worse than a Tory government led by a brainless Tufton Street puppet like Truss. 

54 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

That’s all Brexit Britain was ever to be about. The UK has become a dodgy little tax centre where anything goes as long as people make money. 

Kier Starmer was (apparently) named after Kier Hardie, the founder of the Labor Party. I hope Sir Kier will find some inspiration from this, and start talking about British economic injustice/ inequality more frequently; i.e., Labour's bread and butter. Of course, Brexit is an albaTruss around his neck. And this is what will be so hard for Labour to do - to convince their base that Brexit is a poisonous trojan horse that is destroying Britain economically from within, whilst a few odious opportunists (I wonder if that zealous Brexiteer Sir Jim Ratcliffe has made his mind yet about moving Land Rover production plant from Wales to France?) are laughing all the way to the, probably offshore, proverbial 'bank'. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

The sign on the door is fairly clear. It’s hardly a rumour to say there’s a sign on the door which says X when it’s 100% true. To be honest I think it’s a smart move why burn light and heat when it’s not clear what your demand and turnover is going to be? The same with Dunwells I doubt it’s a building related matter as there’s not a lot of stock in there as you say. But again it would make complete sense to hold off being open until you can see what the landscape is like. It’s completely sensible. I would expect a lot more traders to start doing it as the utility bills start to bite. 

Think I’ll go on what actual owners have posted about their holidays rather than a few people making up scenarios from a note posted in windows !!

5 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

The sign referred to is glued to the front door and in the owners own handwriting. 

They’re on holidays, if you’re concerned perhaps message them on their Facebook page & ask them rather than starting rumours!! They are replying regularly to messages so I’ll keep an eye out for yours 😀