Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Ahhhh but hiding in the background is the borrowed 400 million..!! No mention if thats been used , very secretive about it aren't they. And of course, if all else fails theres always the good old NI fund! You know the one ? That's ring fenced and cant be used ....ohh wait ..

That’s mostly been used I think, pay off debt for steam packet purchase, fund new vessel, refinance MUA debt plus £42m climate fund , that’s most of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

But all the public sector wants more money for pay,pension & benefits & how’s it t going to be paid for??

The way they have dealt with the teachers pay rises has started a whole pile of expectation in the public sector. I believe Dr Allinson said something like we need more public sector workers so we can’t go round taking pensions and inflationary rises off them etc in the conference yesterday. So it’s clear that they will just be sitting there with their hands out expecting the rest of us to cough up for people who are often better paid than we are. They’re totally delusional. The police are circling fir more too. 

Julie Edge should let the teachers strike and see how much sympathy anyone has for them. As far as I’m concerned after covid the public sector can just fuck off. Outside of front line services most of the fuckers sat of their asses doing bugger all on full pay while everyone else was panicking they’d be out on the street. The fact that the selfish fuckers are threatening to strike now it’s all starting to get back to normal days it all. They don’t want anything back to normal as then they’ll be expected to work properly again. The IOM exam results were poor. We shafted a generation of Manx school kids and yet the cheeky twats still expect us to underwrite record pay increases.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

The way they have dealt with the teachers pay rises has started a whole pile of expectation in the public sector. I believe Dr Allinson said something like we need more public sector workers so we can’t go round taking pensions and inflationary rises off them etc in the conference yesterday. So it’s clear that they will just be sitting there with their hands out expecting the rest of us to cough up for people who are often better paid than we are. They’re totally delusional. The police are circling fir more too. 

Julie Edge should let the teachers strike and see how much sympathy anyone has for them. As far as I’m concerned after covid the public sector can just fuck off. Outside of front line services most of the fuckers sat of their asses doing bugger all on full pay while everyone else was panicking they’d be out on the street. The fact that the selfish fuckers are threatening to strike now it’s all starting to get back to normal days it all. They don’t want anything back to normal as then they’ll be expected to work properly again. The IOM exam results were poor. We shafted a generation of Manx school kids and yet the cheeky twats still expect us to underwrite record pay increases.

Sadly I for one cant argue with that. The kids are the biggest loser in all this and along side there families who have to try and arrange child minding for the days to come. Yes the police are def circling along with every ordinary person in the population. Just about everyone probably deserves more money but most reasonable people will pull their horns in and bite the bullet . Sadly in months to come everyone is really going to suffer further .  We are all going to hurt and as a pensioner I include myself in that. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Just about everyone probably deserves more money but most reasonable people will pull their horns in and bite the bullet . Sadly in months to come everyone is really going to suffer further .  We are all going to hurt and as a pensioner I include myself in that. 

Alf Cannan has said as much recently in that the private sector has had all this money over covid that now needs to be repaid. But at the same time the public sector demands more pay. It doesn’t compute - why is only one side required to repay the debt? And let’s face it - you made the decision to shut the Island down. You only paid compensation as there would have been fucking riots if you hadn’t and you wouldn’t have been able to enforce your stupid island border closures and your insane lockdowns. It’s got fuck all to do with most of us who would have been happy to continue on and go to work and not relied on support. Whereas the teachers were all sat on the sofa watching the telly 24 hours before it all kicked off. Screw them. 

Edited by Wavey Davey
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Ahhhh but hiding in the background is the borrowed 400 million..!! No mention if thats been used , very secretive about it aren't they. And of course, if all else fails theres always the good old NI fund! You know the one ? That's ring fenced and cant be used ....ohh wait ..

If my memory serves me, only one tenth of that £400M was actually allocated to "green" issues. The remainder was for servicing debts from utilities and the SPCo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If my memory serves me, only one tenth of that £400M was actually allocated to "green" issues. The remainder was for servicing debts from utilities and the SPCo.

But have they actually used it for that ? . Yes it was around 40 million plus for green initiatives which I dont think has been used yet. As for the rest ?? Who knows if thats where its gone too.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Alf Cannan has said as much recently in that the private sector has had all this money over covid that now needs to be repaid. But at the same time the public sector demands more pay. It doesn’t compute - why is only one side required to repay the debt? And let’s face it - you made the decision to shut the Island down. You only paid compensation as there would have been fucking riots if you hadn’t and you wouldn’t have been able to enforce your stupid island border closures and your insane lockdowns. It’s got fuck all to do with most of us who would have been happy to continue on and go to work and not relied on support. Whereas the teachers were all sat on the sofa watching the telly 24 hours before it all kicked off. Screw them. 

Turkeys and Xmas expains it all. 

• Like 1

The headline in the Manx Independent this morning is Manx Utilities have made a loss of £50 million. Not good but in all fairness a lot of it is down to the war in Ukraine - of which IOMG is quite rightly so wholeheartedly supporting.. I am afraid in times like these, we have a choice, we either support our residents, and our businesses or we hammer them into financial submission as a way of clawing back the loss ( this will be the be case next April 2923 when the electricity prices increase and consumers pay extra to pay back the ‘support’ from the previous six months). 

I know it’s symbolic but it’s a start, but IOMG could if it was concerned with losses, look at waste, unnecessary spending, and staffing levels. Wasting taxpayer funds on constant new vehicles, running them into the ground then giving them to Crystals Auction to sell isn’t a good use of resources.

Perhaps new technology could reduce costs? Perhaps these principles could be applied to IOMG. It seems to be spend, spend and spend and to hell with the consequences.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The headline in the Manx Independent this morning is Manx Utilities have made a loss of £50 million. Not good but in all fairness a lot of it is down to the war in Ukraine - of which IOMG is quite rightly so wholeheartedly supporting.

I’m not so sure it’s all down to the Ukraine war. It’s only been going on since the end of February and the MEA loses were happening in the previous financial year when they spent £18M propping up electricity pricing before the real war driven gas spikes hit. Odd that it’s started making massive loses since we appointed a complete muppet as it’s Chairman too. 

Ex Chief Minister Allan Bell was an admirer of the policy of not increasing taxes on HNWIs and he loved them as much as Ex Chief Minister Howard Quayle. However i doubt that the trickle down economics so beloved by our previous and current Chief Minister of which they all subscribe too, is going to correct the island’s financial woes. In fact, it could be a case of the general population subsidising the HNWIs if income tax is increased or other taxes rise to pay for increasing the reserves and financial mismanagement, as IOMG are loathed to increase or remove the tax cap. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Ex Chief Minister Allan Bell was an admirer of the policy of not increasing taxes on HNWIs and he loved them as much as Ex Chief Minister Howard Quayle. However i doubt that the trickle down economics so beloved by our previous and current Chief Minister of which they all subscribe too, is going to correct the island’s financial woes. In fact, it could be a case of the general population subsidising the HNWIs if income tax is increased or other taxes rise to pay for increasing the reserves and financial mismanagement, as IOMG are loathed to increase or remove the tax cap. 

At the end of the day we are a hostage to the customs agreement with the UK. They can say all they like about changing the IOM tax system to make it fairer but they don’t really have much room for maneuver as will become clear tomorrow if Liz Truss reduces VAT and we end up with another £20M or so down the shitter.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I’m not so sure it’s all down to the Ukraine war. It’s only been going on since the end of February and the MEA loses were happening in the previous financial year when they spent £18M propping up electricity pricing before the real war driven gas spikes hit. Odd that it’s started making massive loses since we appointed a complete muppet as it’s Chairman too. 

One thing that you can guarantee is that the inordinately generous terms enjoyed by various echelons within its structure will remain unaffected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

One thing that you can guarantee is that the inordinately generous terms enjoyed by various echelons within its structure will remain unaffected.

One of the main drains is the pension scheme which has uncapped increases in line with inflation so will rise 10/11% per n April!!

Most private sector schemes have caps at upto 5% with lots lower 

The issue on this Island is the cost of living, primarily housing costs & the lack of a growing younger working population.

Two policies would make a difference pretty much immediately:

Heavily tax second (multiple) home ownership. The property price correction will be swift.

Incentivise the young to return from University. If a 3 year education away costs £60k, provide a Govt backed loan for that amount. If the student returns & works for a stipulated period (let’s say 5 years here) only 50-60% is repayable. Within that 5 years it’s likely they’ll find a partner & put down roots.

Sadly these policies require thought & bollocks, both prerequisites for a progressive, forward thinking Government. Ours is a busted flush.

Alf is pissing in the wind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

One of the main drains is the pension scheme which has uncapped increases in line with inflation so will rise 10/11% per n April!!

Most private sector schemes have caps at upto 5% with lots lower 

so why have the MEA been pushing  things like white meters  the cost of which  is in excess of £14 million , if you could choose your electricity supplier as they can in the UK I could understand , it , also someone needs to look at the productivity of the workforce ,and the equipment lying around while work is undertaken by contractors , the DOI are in exactly the same situation , Millions lying around in plant and equipment , very few  manual workers  anymore  contractors doing the work  but with more  non productive suits in management positions ,  time to get these things sorted out before the money is completely gone