Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

24 minutes ago, WTF said:

front page of the daily wail lists vat free shopping for tourists ????   can IOM residents shop vat free in the UK ?

VAT free has always been possible. As the IOM shares a common VAT with the UK the answer is no.

8 minutes ago, WTF said:

so when friends arrive from Holland  TT week as usual can they buy me a new telly from waltons and not pay vat on it?

They will have to take it with them I'm afraid.

23 minutes ago, WTF said:

so when friends arrive from Holland  TT week as usual can they buy me a new telly from waltons and not pay vat on it?

14 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

They will have to take it with them I'm afraid.

Yep, it's the same in a few countries, South Africa being the one I encountered recently. 

When departing from the airport there is a special section you go to with any purchased goods which you are taking with you and want to get a refund on the tax.  It all has to be booked onto the flight and you also need the receipt.  Once they process it, a few months later you receive a pre-paid debit card with the refunded tax amount on it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WTF said:

As long as they export it they can claim the VAT back as they leave. 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Well I'm not as clever as lots on here but looking at the UK budget the Conservatives seem to have totally looked after their mates in every area without any thoughts of those same people contributing to paying for the increased debt. This in my opinion is not going to end well. Maybe Truss and her lackeys are inspired but my bet is there getting smashed in a election very soon. Not sure they will be able to hold out for the 18 months left.

+1. She’s lost the plot and certainly the next election. 

12 minutes ago, Neil Dunwell said:

The Dunwell business is not owned by Paul Bell but the same guy who did so wonderful ly well with Hooded Ram

Neither of them are nice guys. Good to know you’re out. Sad to know it’s owned by the Hooded Claw it probably explains the scaffolding. He does so like the derelict look. 

Edited by Newsdesk

On 9/22/2022 at 4:25 PM, 2112 said:

Lots of pre payment meters tend to use their meters using the emergency credit mode, clear it then back to emergency. 

They won't able to any more (or not by much).  The new Smart Meters which are being installed first for those who had Key Meters, only give £6 credit as opposed to £30 before (I think it may have been even higher in lockdown).

When would my electricity be disconnected for non-payment?

For SmarterPAYG customers supply will be disconnected in the event of your credit running out. If you have been disconnected, the minimum top-up, if you go into emergency credit status is £7 (£6 to cover the emergency credit payment, and £1 to ensure a positive credit balance). If your credit runs out during our friendly non-disconnect times, the electricity usage, standing charge and any debt repayment will continue to be deducted and require to be paid at your next top-up.

22 hours ago, quilp said:

Due to expected hardship for some, is an increase in minor crime inevitable?

Screenshot_20220923-190952~2.png

Haven’t the magistrates said something about this? I’m sure lots of shoplifting around Central Douglas, particularly Dealz. 

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

They won't able to any more (or not by much).  The new Smart Meters which are being installed first for those who had Key Meters, only give £6 credit as opposed to £30 before (I think it may have been even higher in lockdown).

It went up to £30 during lockdown, from £5. (I'm on PAYG - it came with the house I rent.)

I always avoided going into the emergency credit as it was noticeably more expensive. If the emergency credit also ran out, you just didn't have any leccy until you put more money on your key. Now, as Roger points out, you continue to get charged for the standing charge etc. As far as I could see that didn't happen on the key meters.*

I've got a smart meter now and I have to say I like being able to have an idea how much different items cost to run. For example, I can see every time I put the kettle on in the morning as there's a corresponding spike. It's also handy being able to top-up on my phone rather than schlepping to the shop. 

I'm yet to be convinced, however, that the price MEA/MU (whatever the hell it's called these days) is paying for these smart meters - the price we as consumers ultimately pay - is worth it. Are they "nice to haves" or essentials? 

ETA *I only ended up without leccy once, due to a temporarily misplaced key, so I may be wrong about standing charges while having no leccy. 

Edited by Zarley