Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

34 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

The whole argument is bollocks. The cost is going to be something like £12M to put the smart meters in. All to save the cost of employing a handful of meter readers on a tiny island. 

Wasn’t it £17/20m & MUA said no jobs will be lost as we’ll just redeploy them into some non jobs as we don’t do savings in government!

• Like 1

Surely that is madness, saying it will save money(eventually by2109) and then making up positions to redeploy the people that would be the savings that would have been  made. Which will become another department, that will employ more staff to do the made up jobs that the original people who were redeployed to. I can still see the smug, I'm  smarter than you ordinary people don't make me explain it you would not be able to comprehend it. Oh and that tedious monotone voice, devoid of any inflection.   

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Is Dealz where you prefer to do your shoplifting? 

😂 no.

There have been newspaper reports from the courts, and shoplifting from Dealz and its clothing department downstairs. Though I’m sure there are many stores hit by shoplifting, but I’m sure only a certain amount actually proceeds to court. 

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

Wasn’t it £17/20m & MUA said no jobs will be lost as we’ll just redeploy them into some non jobs as we don’t do savings in government!

According to the original announcement in 2019, it was to cost £18.2 million, but that was delayed by the pandemic and the latest release just says: The project is being funded by £10m from the government, alongside money from Manx Utilities' annual budget, over a 10-year period.  Which suggest it could be well over £20 million.

Rather than loads of fluff about benefits to the consumer, they are now claiming that the problems is that you can't now get the 'old-fashioned' meters (as usual Mr Google begs to differ[1]) and that they're having to cannibalise the old ones to keep things going.  But that highlights the problem with going universally to a new system.  What happens if the kit for that suddenly becomes difficult to replace?  It would also be interesting to know how much is being saved by redeploying the meter-readers and whether the loss of the implicit monitoring of the network they provide also will cause problems.

[1]  The going price seems to be well under £40.  Assuming a cost of £20 million to replace 50,000 meters, the new network is £400 per meter.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to the original announcement in 2019, it was to cost £18.2 million, but that was delayed by the pandemic and the latest release just says: The project is being funded by £10m from the government, alongside money from Manx Utilities' annual budget, over a 10-year period.  Which suggest it could be well over £20 million.

Rather than loads of fluff about benefits to the consumer, they are now claiming that the problems is that you can't now get the 'old-fashioned' meters (as usual Mr Google begs to differ[1]) and that they're having to cannibalise the old ones to keep things going.  But that highlights the problem with going universally to a new system.  What happens if the kit for that suddenly becomes difficult to replace?  It would also be interesting to know how much is being saved by redeploying the meter-readers and whether the loss of the implicit monitoring of the network they provide also will cause problems.

[1]  The going price seems to be well under £40.  Assuming a cost of £20 million to replace 50,000 meters, the new network is £400 per meter.

• I believe there is a legal obligation to change meters at a stated time frequency. I'll check this.
  • Does the going price you googled  include installation?
  • The difference in price between old fashioned meters and smart meters is negligible and only a total fool would replace a meter with an already out of date one.
  • Any apparatus fitted for charging purposes has to be to  certain standard. An Ebay source meter would not likely meet this. Again I think this is in the electricity act

I'm not supporting the big fanfare and cost of this unnecessary wholesale replacement. I cant see why it couldnt have been spread over the next 20 years. 

Might be but I’ve recently compared prices of staple foods across all supermarkets here and what stood out was that this cheese was the same price in all. So I bet this increase will also reflect in Tesco and Shoprite now. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

You're WELL German! :)

I need to find a solution to do this as app. UK apps like Trolley don't work here, sadly. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQO-KVT-HL3c-uJFYjstxaXuLjnzTjYloFVUtLP2INmxozlLZUGPC69xIKWI-g0CbkaskEv1ddmzl32/pubhtml? 

Well, Shoprite have Gander which alerts you when they have reduced items so you can rush in and snaffle some bargains.  Unfortunately,  their MO seems to be cover any reduced meat with some flavouring or other, which makes me wonder if the meat below the sprinkle is showing some signs of decay. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, Shoprite have Gander which alerts you when they have reduced items so you can rush in and snaffle some bargains.  Unfortunately,  their MO seems to be cover any reduced meat with some flavouring or other, which makes me wonder if the meat below the sprinkle is showing some signs of decay. 

I actually spoke to Gander if they could help to create a local version of Trolley but it's unlikely. Their focus is on reducing food waste and a price comparison app would pit supermarkets against each other, which is not what they want. The way their system works is to use the yellow stickers and anything reduced is then tracked through the POS system and to the app in real time. That's also the main reason it doesn't work with other shops over here yet. It's a good app but more is needed.