Residents urged to expect a very tough 12 months

offshoremanxman

58 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM this morning leading with Tim but Two (Tim Johnston MHK Ayre and Micheal) waffling on about the island having got used to cheap food. Unless I’m mistaken Manx grown produce and other locally made food products have never been cheap, possibly affordable to certain groups within society. Bread isn’t cheap unless you are lucky to get from Tesco or the cheap bread from Shopshite. No doubt Ashie will be monitoring the situation, and the farmers looking for more government support. 

Are you just referring to Manx made bread here? Don't buy those you are talking about so not sure if they're Manx or not.

49 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Are you just referring to Manx made bread here? Don't buy those you are talking about so not sure if they're Manx or not.

Ramsey Bakery is expensive and always has been. However bread prices in the UK has been rising. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Ramsey Bakery is expensive and always has been. However bread prices in the UK has been rising. 

Ramsey Bakery is very expensive, I agree.

I ask as M&S bread is 65p. 

I think it's the best available and probably the cheapest.

Don't think this is much at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

65p is good value, I’ve had the bread you mentioned. Shopshite do a cheap £1 loaf. 

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Isn't M&S bread made by Ramsey Bakery?

Not that I'm aware of and is very different in style to what they normally produce.

I'd have to look and see who's credited on the packaging (if anyone). 

Would beg the question as to why they charge 3 x as much though. 

17 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Not that I'm aware of and is very different in style to what they normally produce.

I'd have to look and see who's credited on the packaging (if anyone). 

Would beg the question as to why they charge 3 x as much though. 

M&S have their own recipes for lots of their own branded foods.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Depends if you want to support locally produced food or just rely on cheap imports, when boats don’t go not much food 

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Do Noa? I’ve always wanted to know the secret ingredients required to be able to make bread you can smash your own teeth with.

It's a closely guarded secret, shared only with local dentists....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Banker said:

Depends if you want to support locally produced food or just rely on cheap imports, when boats don’t go not much food 

best value for money bread is in Tesco  multi seed  at £1.05    it used to be 85 pence a few months ago  but it is still very good bread and excellent quality in sandwiches  or as toast ,  similar product in Shoprite is 70 pence more expensive  

in these times of higher prices  we have to shop around  but sadly the person who compiles  prices in the government basket of food figures , seems to be completely out of touch with reality , perhaps thats why they have been relegated to an office in St Johns where there isn't even a local shop anymore 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Do Noa? I’ve always wanted to know the secret ingredients required to be able to make bread you can smash your own teeth with.

Whilst you’re joking sourdough is actually the cheapest bread you can make which makes the prices they charge all the more ridiculous.

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 2