Ukrainian refugees

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

It’s a far cry from the enormous crowds and volunteers waiting at Berlin station to welcome hundreds of Ukrainians into their homes. 

3 men in an empty hall with a box of ready salted crisps and some kit-kats. 

Shameful in the extreme.  I saw that news report last night.  The Ukranian chap has lived so long in the UK that he had a cockney accent, but he can't get his wife or daughter into the country and is being given the run-around in a spectacular fashion. 

• Like 1

We should have closer ties to Ireland, they are also our nearest neighbour and have a clearer guiding light when it comes to social responsiblity. 

Ireland are taking 100k refugees and many going to homestay.

• Like 2

Sadly I had a conversation with a local (manx) friend at the weekend and he lost it over us taking anyone from Ukraine . Mind blowing really as he is retired now from CS. and was very angry in discussing it and insisting we cant afford to take anyone and our infrastructure , schools ,hospitals couldnt cope. And yet me sitting listening has indirectly paid for his non contribution pension he enjoys. Felt sick listening to such a dinosaur who is educated and well known in Peel !!. Ukraine people are educated , have a great work ethic and for sure most will head back to Ukraine as soon as safe to do so. The passion and willingness to stand and fight for there country is truly humbling and watching leaves me in tears. The women and teen girls volunteering leaves in no doubt there going to give russians hell.

Yes it would be hard for us but not as hard as sitting in a war zone getting the shit blown out of us and watching our kids and friends killed. Mans inhumanity to man !! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sadly I had a conversation with a local (manx) friend at the weekend and he lost it over us taking anyone from Ukraine . Mind blowing really as he is retired now from CS. and was very angry in discussing it and insisting we cant afford to take anyone and our infrastructure , schools ,hospitals couldnt cope. And yet me sitting listening has indirectly paid for his non contribution pension he enjoys. Felt sick listening to such a dinosaur who is educated and well known in Peel !!. Ukraine people are educated , have a great work ethic and for sure most will head back to Ukraine as soon as safe to do so. The passion and willingness to stand and fight for there country is truly humbling and watching leaves me in tears. The women and teen girls volunteering and watching leaves in no doubt there going to give russians hell.

Yes it would be hard for us but not as hard as sitting in a war zone getting the shit blown out of us and watching our kids and friends killed. Mans inhumanity to man !! 

80k racists clinging to a rock

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

80k racists clinging to a rock

Yes there is some racists over here but thankfully the majority of the manx public have loads of empathy and compassion .

Nowhere   near 80% !!!  

1 hour ago, TomTucker said:

Ireland are taking 100k refugees and many going to homestay.

Can you imagine a home stay refugee scheme here? It would cost millions. You’d have to pay a registration fee to take part, have your home thoroughly assessed, have a CRB check and be subject to a safeguarding visit every month just to keep all those civil servants busy. It would probably take a year to implement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sadly I had a conversation with a local (manx) friend at the weekend and he lost it over us taking anyone from Ukraine . Mind blowing really as he is retired now from CS. and was very angry in discussing it and insisting we cant afford to take anyone and our infrastructure , schools ,hospitals couldnt cope. And yet me sitting listening has indirectly paid for his non contribution pension he enjoys. Felt sick listening to such a dinosaur who is educated and well known in Peel !!. Ukraine people are educated , have a great work ethic and for sure most will head back to Ukraine as soon as safe to do so. The passion and willingness to stand and fight for there country is truly humbling and watching leaves me in tears. The women and teen girls volunteering leaves in no doubt there going to give russians hell.

See also the Syrian refugee crisis.

• Like 2

I would welcome refugees from Ukraine there are so many Polish people here who enjoy living on the Island and seem to have little problem settling. Obviously their first choice would be to return home as soon as possible and for that reason they will choose to stay in one of the neighbouring countries. It is a heart breaking situation.    I identify with Numbnuts feelings of sadness and disgust at his friends attitude it makes you wonder how well you really know people 😪 .

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

What makes it really ridiculous is the thousands of illegal immigrants who get  in the country every week.

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Really? Where do they do that? 

I'll assume you just made that up then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1