Ukrainian refugees

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

They’ve done an excellent PR job it has to be said and a lot of it done by ordinary people without a budget log millions  

Unlike Putin’s effort of having the terminally ill children line up in the Z formation.  No laughs there. 

And the statement that a leader is not an icon, and that people should hang pictures of their family and children on the wall, not pictures of their leader.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Bees has her own place in Bulgaria to loan out. Meantime I’m working with friends out there to make an apartment available.

I’m talking to dad about it and will discuss with our lawyer when there next. It’s a great idea :) Selfless Bee wouldn’t even mind staying over to help, dreadful warm weather and all that :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like everyone knows who “ bees “ is.

Well I do, and I didn't have her down as the sort to invest in property in cheap jurisdictions, in effect pricing the local working population out of the market. I'm surprised. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

As an aside, Bulgarian folk music is amazing. Almost beyond our decadent ear. 

True and you ever seen the wedding dances??  . Theres you tube videos with it . Brilliant . I've been a few times to watch the Bulgarian dance troupe over here and they are very good. Though because of Covid and one of the oganisers has had a baby which has restricted her in arranging stuff.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Thanks.  As it was reported last night,  it did look like US were trying to avoid direct intervention, for obvious reasons. The 'placing at the disposal' looks like they didn't succeed! 

Newsnight have just covered this, it is indeed a stately gavotte, where NATO don't Dio stuff, but sanction it.  It seems the Polish release has taken the US by surprise. 

8 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Well I do, and I didn't have her down as the sort to invest in property in cheap jurisdictions, in effect pricing the local working population out of the market. I'm surprised. 

It’s mostly my Dad’s place, in a small village where half the houses are empty because all the young ones moved to the city. No property investment, mum and dad loved it there so they bought a house as a project to fix up & go on holiday to, mum spent most of her time there when she retired, learned Bulgarian and enjoyed the relaxed way of life. Then she died and now dad and I have the house, does that sit better with you MTP? 
‘Sake, Manx Forums MO…make a good suggestion- get flamed for something that is totally irrelevant and absolutely none of the posters business. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Newsnight have just covered this, it is indeed a stately gavotte, where NATO don't Dio stuff, but sanction it.  It seems the Polish release has taken the US by surprise. 

The deal is off.  No country wants to be seen to be intervening militarily to avoid escalation, but Ukraine are desperate to control their airspace. All looking very grim. 

ETA perhaps the best solution would be to park up the MIGS close to the Ukrainian border and leave the keys in the ignition for the Ukrainian airforce to half inch them. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

True and you ever seen the wedding dances??  . Theres you tube videos with it . Brilliant . I've been a few times to watch the Bulgarian dance troup over here and they are very good. Though because of Covid and one of the oganisers has had a baby which has restricted her in arranging stuff.

Traditional women’s costumes and a bride’s headdress  and make up from Ribnovo, plus  a Roma bride from a wedding in Sofia

F06DF71C-D8AD-4532-A167-59CB8D1A8403.jpeg

D666C7C8-15C6-4497-A7B7-6DE3CA6496E5.jpeg

AFE3CC1A-0F29-4859-9571-097DA50291AB.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Well, like you said, it's none of my business. 

You rather made it your business with your crass comment, assuming bees wasn’t posting about her own ability to offer Ukrainian refugees accommodation, assuming it was aimed at me, assuming I wouldn’t be doing something to help Ukrainian refugees, assuming I’d take offence at bees post, assuming I’d suspend her.

None of that was your business, but it didn’t stop you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The BBC reports this morning from people caught up in the bizarre processes required to get into the UK thoroughly embarrass the UK Government. As once man pointed out - funnily enough when I was fleeing for my life I didn’t think to bring a bank statement or utility bill with me. Shameful. Genuinely shameful given the numbers other countries are taking. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The BBC reports this morning from people caught up in the bizarre processes required to get into the UK thoroughly embarrass the UK Government. As once man pointed out - funnily enough when I was fleeing for my life I didn’t think to bring a bank statement or utility bill with me. Shameful. Genuinely shameful given the numbers other countries are taking. 

But predictable given who is in charge at the Home Office and the stated aim of the Visa and Immigration Service to be an “hostile environment”.

And no different to how the UK has behaved for 90 years, except for when it was politically expedient to the degree it was impossible to refuse entry.

Im bemused by the reaction of the middle European and Balkan states, wanting to share the load by distributing Ukrainian refugees around Europe in a manner that is fair by population and national wealth. Exactly the same thing they objected to and refused to participate in when it was Syrians, Iraqi’s and Kurds.

Different continent, skin colour and religion of origin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1