Jump to content

Ukrainian refugees


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

But predictable given who is in charge at the Home Office and the stated aim of the Visa and Immigration Service to be an “hostile environment”.

And no different to how the UK has behaved for 90 years, except for when it was politically expedient to the degree it was impossible to refuse entry.

Im bemused by the reaction of the middle European and Balkan states, wanting to share the load by distributing Ukrainian refugees around Europe in a manner that is fair by population and national wealth. Exactly the same thing they objected to and refused to participate in when it was Syrians, Iraqi’s and Kurds.

Different continent, skin colour and religion of origin.

Possibly nearer to 50 years, but yes, the UK visa system has been both hostile and incompetent for many decades - and under governments of all colours.  It's also increasingly outsourced to private companies, which makes it difficult to respond to emergencies and potentially corrupt. 

And the system is particularly hostile to asylum seekers once they actually manage to get to the UK, slow to process applications; refusing many that should be approved (and so losing the appeals at great expense); and unlike most countries not allowing asylum seekers to work.

You'd hope the governments of places like Hungary and Poland would realise their refusal to participate in previous schemes might now come back to bite them.  But they won't see it like that - rules should only apply to other people.  And to be honest the attitude of the British media isn't anything different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Possibly nearer to 50 years, but yes, the UK visa system has been both hostile and incompetent for many decades - and under governments of all colours.  It's also increasingly outsourced to private companies, which makes it difficult to respond to emergencies and potentially corrupt. 

And the system is particularly hostile to asylum seekers once they actually manage to get to the UK, slow to process applications; refusing many that should be approved (and so losing the appeals at great expense); and unlike most countries not allowing asylum seekers to work.

You'd hope the governments of places like Hungary and Poland would realise their refusal to participate in previous schemes might now come back to bite them.  But they won't see it like that - rules should only apply to other people.  And to be honest the attitude of the British media isn't anything different.

No, 90 years is correct. The visa regime in the 1930’s was hostile to Jewish refugees fleeing Hitler.

And it was hostile once they arrived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, 90 years is correct. The visa regime in the 1930’s was hostile to Jewish refugees fleeing Hitler.

And it was hostile once they arrived.

I was thinking more of the more general opposition to immigration and particularly to Commonwealth citizens who until recently had actually been British citizens.  But if you're looking more at  legislation directed against Jewish refugees and immigrants, you probably need to go back even further to the Aliens Act of 1905, which set the template for what happened in the 30s.  And as usual all very much stirred up by the press.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NPM has published another IOMG press release saying that CM Alfie has laid a motion before Tynpotwald on Tuesday condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and supporting Ukrainian democracy. 
 

The CM has made countless statements, the island has given generously both from the Government and individual acts of charitable generosity, which is admirable. 
 

Im not criticising the idea of a motion being laid down, but I feel that CM Alfie and others are scared stiff of any revelations of Russian companies, yachts, ships, offshore companies and possible illegality. They are absolutely scared of their own shadows. If and when this conflict comes to an end, and if Putin is either assassinated, overthrown or voted out of office, would the IOM (G) behave like nothing has ever happened, and try and recoup lost business? There has been some unsavoury activities or questionable practices over the years, of which our politicos must have been aware of but nothing was done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There has been some unsavoury activities or questionable practices over the years, of which our politicos must have been aware of but nothing was done. 

I think you'd be surprised how little our politicians actually know about anything, other than their previous working incarnations. Tynwald is nothing more than a dinner party, without the dinner! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think you'd be surprised how little our politicians actually know about anything, other than their previous working incarnations. Tynwald is nothing more than a dinner party, without the dinner! 

Plenty of Whine though.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Those photos of the vigil in Douglas should have the buckets getting passed around Kyiv as I type. Good work. 

Say what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Say what?

I presumed MTP was referring to the state of beautiful downtown Douglas and 'Villiers Square' and the Prom in particular, comparing them unfavourably to a bombed Ukrainian city. 

Obviously if Putin had really wanted to reduce the country to rubble he shouldn't  have bother with tanks and artillery - just sent in the DoI.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Obviously if Putin had really wanted to reduce the country to rubble he shouldn't  have bother with tanks and artillery - just sent in the DoI.

A crack team arriving from the DOI would strike fear into the heart of any first world country. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Any hotels would be wanting this per person per week at the very least.

IOM government would do well to open up our hotels to this. It’s not like we’re going to get any tourists. Ukrainian package tours could replace all the self isolation bookings they won’t get this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...