Ukrainian refugees

If the island took a number of refugees and the outcome of the war was not in their favour then i assume they could apply/claim political assylum. 

Would they then be given the right to work here ? and what would they be entitled to in the form of benefits if they were not ? 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chutney said:

If the island took a number of refugees and the outcome of the war was not in their favour then i assume they could apply/claim political assylum. 

Would they then be given the right to work here ? and what would they be entitled to in the form of benefits if they were not ? 

I’m not sure why anybody would be worried about this. These people are fleeing the risk of instant death. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not sure why anybody would be worried about this. These people are fleeing the risk or instant death. 

I agree , why is it even thought off as a concern. I would say that with there work ethic and independent nature they wont be sponging of taxpayers .

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I agree , why is it even thought off as a concern. I would say that with there work ethic and independent nature they wont be sponging of taxpayers .

There’s some real despicable stuff like that on social media on the Ukrainian refugees. There’s some proper bell-ends on IOM News and Politics who have posted similar views. At the end of the day these people didn’t ask for there homes to be bombed out of existence and their lives put at risk. We should be opening up to them as much as we can. It’s what we’d expect people to do for us if we were in the same situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

There’s some real despicable stuff like that on social media on the Ukrainian refugees. There’s some proper bell-ends on IOM News and Politics who have posted similar views. At the end of the day these people didn’t ask for there homes to be bombed out of existence and their lives put at risk. We should be opening up to them as much as we can. It’s what we’d expect people to do for us if we were in the same situation. 

Yes you are right there are some unbelievable dickheads on IOMNP who are allowed to spout shite. Most of the comments descend into a shitstorm. It makes me laugh as supposed MHKs love that page.

• Like 1

And talking of boats. This is the same nautical vulgarity which parked in Douglas bay not long ago, to be gawped at by the common people.

It would have been good entertainment to see it arrested here - boarding party from the Barrule backed up by the M.V. Karina.588899307_Screenshot2022-03-13at18_48_15.thumb.png.50814886566438d6022b3316cbf0d6b5.png

29 minutes ago, WTF said:

apparently the refugees that have made to the island are begging for boats so they can try and get away again

I've got Yankee Shimmin's number somewhere... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I couldnt take any in my flat , for lots of reasons sadly , but having lived weekly on £112 a week incapacity but now get my pension I willingly dig deep to help with costs for a home taking in some Ukrainians . Small price to pay as they have had there homes destroyed and had to escape to save their kids. Also I've been blown away by there passion and determination to fight and die for there country if needs be. Such impressive and brave people. There defiance shown by teens and older has had me in tears many times these last weeks.💙💛🇺🇦   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Yes you are right there are some unbelievable dickheads on IOMNP who are allowed to spout shite. Most of the comments descend into a shitstorm. It makes me laugh as supposed MHKs love that page.

There’s a few on there who should be embarrassed about what they posted. At least one of them used a fake Facebook account to post racist rubbish that never seems to be deleted despite the fact it’s an obvious fake Facebook account that takes about 5 seconds to work out. You wonder what the real opinion of the moderators is. 

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:
9 hours ago, Chutney said:

If the island took a number of refugees and the outcome of the war was not in their favour then i assume they could apply/claim political asylum. 

I’m not sure why anybody would be worried about this. These people are fleeing the risk of instant death. 

The questions do need to be asked though, because most of the official response so far can only be described as 'virtue signalling'.  This doesn't apply to individuals offering help who seem to be doing so sincerely, but there's little consideration of the practicalities involved and how things would work legally and what support could be offered coming from the UK Government or its local mini-me.  To quote an article from the Guardian:

Last week started with the admission that 50 UK visas had been granted since Russia invaded Ukraine – or one for every 28,000 people given sanctuary by the EU at the same time.

Home secretary Priti Patel then claimed she was considering a new route for refugees, but it did not materialise. Later, she announced a visa application centre had been established in Calais, but this was also untrue. By Wednesday, the Home Office said it was actually in Lille, but would not reveal where. A day later it became clear why: there wasn’t one.

[...] More than a fortnight into the invasion, the Home Office says it has granted about 1,000 visas to Ukrainians – fewer than 60 a day, when an average of 150,000 Ukrainians are fleeing their homeland daily.

Of course this is one reason why the governments are making such loud noises about how much help they will offer - if hardly anyone is allowed to get here it's pretty easy.

But there will still be some refugees with Manx contacts[1] who want to come here and we currently have no system for dealing with refugees or asylum seekers.  This appeared to be a problem when it was Syrians who were fleeing, somehow it's magically not when the refugees are paler-skinned.

[1]  As shown above the UK policy is still very restrictive as to who can come there and is basically restricted to close family members.  There were 1600 people recorded in the 2021 Census as being born in Eastern Europe (and nearly all, 1523, citizens of there), but most of that was made up of those from Poland (622), Bulgaria (426) and Romania (226).  The remaining 326 are spread over 7 other countries and both Russia and Ukraine must have few that 120 residents each.

Joany Faragher is right about making sure there is proper support for any refugees, including trauma support.  Even if a refugee has not suffered any direct injury or witnessed any horror, the mere fact of fleeing your home, possessions and family, to go to an uncertain future, often without male family members, will be a trauma. 

We shouldn't underestimate that. 

• Like 8

We should take in people and help them and sort out their status once it’s clear what happens in their home country. The majority will want to return home sooner or later and we should be a safe haven for them in the interim. 

This may well reshape Europe and if WWIII does break out with NATO involvement then we have bigger problems than the local Daily Mail readers are clutching their pearls on FB.