Jump to content

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe...


Recommended Posts

Just watched her press conference. Little criticism of Iran from her for holding her but plenty for the various foreign secretaries holding office through the six year period. It’s not like they kidnapped her.

Seems a tad ungrateful to me. Husband Richard acknowledged the contributions of the politicians in getting her released though.

It appears to just be accepted that this “debt” existed and was payable. Maybe it was (in which case I’m surprised the UK Government welched on it for so long). 
Or maybe it wasn’t and the Government decided the cost of giving into blackmail was a price worth paying.

Or more likely the truth is somewhere in between.

Anyway I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt after what she’s been through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just watched her press conference. Little criticism of Iran from her for holding her but plenty for the various foreign secretaries holding office through the six year period. It’s not like they kidnapped her.

Seems a tad ungrateful to me.

Don't forget that one of those Foreign Secretaries told the House of Commons that she was in Iran "simply teaching people journalism" when she was insisting she was there on holiday.  Within a few days she was then brought before an Iranian court, completely unscheduled, and that statement in the House of Commons was used as evidence that she had engaged in "propaganda against the regime".

Who was this Foreign Secretary?  None other than now Prime Minister Boris Johnson...

I think she was very restrained in criticising the UK Government and very diplomatic in refusing to answer questions about her time in custody.  Probably under instructions from the Prime Minister not to rock the boat so that he can secure some oil/gas from the region.

Edited by manxman1980
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just watched her press conference. Little criticism of Iran from her for holding her but plenty for the various foreign secretaries holding office through the six year period. It’s not like they kidnapped her.

Seems a tad ungrateful to me. Husband Richard acknowledged the contributions of the politicians in getting her released though.

It appears to just be accepted that this “debt” existed and was payable. Maybe it was (in which case I’m surprised the UK Government welched on it for so long). 
Or maybe it wasn’t and the Government decided the cost of giving into blackmail was a price worth paying.

Or more likely the truth is somewhere in between.

Anyway I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt after what she’s been through.

The £400 million, plus interest,  was known about from shortly after the Islamic revolution. Imperial Iran ordered weapons, tanks, I think. They paid. Revolution. HMG froze the order. No weaponry delivered. It’s held onto the funds ever since. 43 years.

The FO/FCO/FCDO have refused to deal with it. It was a negotiating tool to be used.

UK could have paid shortly after she was arrested. She’s a victim of a game of politics and diplomacy between hostile nations.

Voice of Reason, it’s posts like yours that highlight how unreasonable you are, and how little you think.

She was an aid worker, BoJo announced she was a journalist. Even worse than a spy in paranoid revolutionary guard mentality, no doubt. Other foreign secretaries have been no better.

OK, VoR, use your brain cell. You are Nazanin, you’ve spent ages in prison in solitary. You finish your sentence, they haul you back on more trumped up charges. You have family in Teheran, still. If you were interviewed who would you criticise? Foreign Secretaries of a liberal western democracy, or the Islamic state who might lock up your family.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The £400 million, plus interest,  was known about from shortly after the Islamic revolution. Imperial Iran ordered weapons, tanks, I think. They paid. Revolution. HMG froze the order. No weaponry delivered. It’s held onto the funds ever since. 43 years.

The FO/FCO/FCDO have refused to deal with it. It was a negotiating tool to be used.

UK could have paid shortly after she was arrested. She’s a victim of a game of politics and diplomacy between hostile nations.

Voice of Reason, it’s posts like yours that highlight how unreasonable you are, and how little you think.

She was an aid worker, BoJo announced she was a journalist. Even worse than a spy in paranoid revolutionary guard mentality, no doubt. Other foreign secretaries have been no better.

OK, VoR, use your brain cell. You are Nazanin, you’ve spent ages in prison in solitary. You finish your sentence, they haul you back on more trumped up charges. You have family in Teheran, still. If you were interviewed who would you criticise? Foreign Secretaries of a liberal western democracy, or the Islamic state who might lock up your family.

Au contraire John

Posts like mine demonstrate a more enquiring mind and less of a willingness to just accept the facts as presented.

I hear what you are saying about the safety of those left behind. But surely it’s not a case that because she is constrained against criticising the Iranians she has to criticise those who have secured her release (albeit belatedly in her opinion) It’s not an either/or situation.As said they were not the ones that incarcerated her.

Anyway I may have misheard but I sure she said she was in Iran for a holiday, nothing about being an aid worker.

Maybe that’s how she spends her holidays though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Imagine having the confidence to display such ignorance. 

It's not like two people have already pointed out to The Voice of Reason that Boris Johnson was the one who said she was there for other purposes and not just on holiday.  And imagine being callous enough to criticise a regime that would likely take revenge on your family and friends who live within the country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It's not like two people have already pointed out to The Voice of Reason that Boris Johnson was the one who said she was there for other purposes and not just on holiday.  And imagine being callous enough to criticise a regime that would likely take revenge on your family and friends who live within the country.

John stated in his post that “ she was an aid worker”

I’ve accepted Johns point about the safety of those left behind if you took the trouble to read my post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...