Help! I'm a chronic alcoholic! - apparently...

GD4XXX

Greetings, all,

I've always had excellent liver function test results over the years but that all changed a couple of months ago when I got quizzed over my ferritin levels, which are apparently elevated. Previously, only ferritin levels over 1000 were regarded as requiring further investigation, but that limit has been lowered - and it must have been more than halved, because my readings came out at less than half of the old limit. As a result of this change, I've gone from a negligible risk drinker to a chronic alcoholic overnight at the stroke of some busybody's pen. And not even a Manx Care busybody's pen! No, this comes from the World Health Organization no less. You didn't know we have global government? Well it seems we do! The WHO have decided that the safe alcohol limit for anyone is now zero. Yes, you did read that right: ZERO. You have a pint of shandy on a Sunday afternoon down on the Prom and you've breached their new guidelines and clearly in need of intervention or the next stop for you will be Skid Row.

Now I don't know whether I'm more furious with the doctors here for following these new guidelines, or with the supranational, unelected, unaccountable panel of busybodies who implemented this momentous change with no public discussion or governmental oversight whatsoever. Who do these people think they are with their "Global Strategy" to tackle the lower classes who enjoy, as I do and shall continue to do, an innocent beer or two a couple of times a week? Read all about their meddling here:

https://www.who.int/teams/mental-health-and-substance-use/alcohol-drugs-and-addictive-behaviours/alcohol/our-activities/towards-and-action-plan-on-alcohol

So if YOU get called in and quizzed over your completely harmless pleasure and regard this as the unwarranted interference in your personal life that it clearly is, tell your doctor you know exactly what their little game is, tell them to get stuffed and walk out - head held high!

1 hour ago, GD4XXX said:

tackle the lower classes who enjoy, as I do and shall continue to do, an innocent beer or two a couple of times a week? 

Most of the Poshos I know are semi-pissed most of the time.  It's just their booze costs a bit more. 

4 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

The safe level has been zero for quite a few years I think.

The safe level has always been 0. It's been regarded as 0 for a few years.

It's a poison, what do you expect?

Drink an amount you can reasonably expect to get away with for your age and shoe size, and you can reasonably expect to get away with it. But you might not. Such is life.

6 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

The safe level has been zero for quite a few years I think.

H&B are doing their part by pushing everybody towards it....

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HeliX said:

The safe level has always been 0. It's been regarded as 0 for a few years.

It's a poison, what do you expect?

Everything is a poison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison

My beef is with the unaccountable, self-anointed busybodies who've singled out alcohol and why so many people place unquestioning faith in their edicts.

This is the main problem we face today: the mass media has rendered us so brain dead and compliant we let others do our thinking for us, never questioning what the ulterior motives of these omniscient beings might be. Well, not me. In fact I think I might just take up smoking again purely out of spite. >;-}

Edited by GD4XXX
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

Everything is a poison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison

My beef is with the unaccountable, self-anointed busybodies who've singled out alcohol and why so many people place unquestioning faith in their edicts.

This is the main problem we face today: the mass media has rendered us so brain dead and compliant we let others do our thinking for us, never questioning what the ulterior motives of these omniscient beings might be. Well, not me. In fact I think I might just take up smoking again purely out of spite. >;-}

Yes in stupid enough quantities, but by those metrics alcohol is acutely poisonous.

The WHO are fairly accountable. And most people won't take the blindest bit of notice of WHO recommendations on alcohol intake. I'm drunk now (a very nice corvina blend), but I'm under no illusions over the health effects.

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Yes in stupid enough quantities, but by those metrics alcohol is acutely poisonous.

The WHO are fairly accountable. And most people won't take the blindest bit of notice of WHO recommendations on alcohol intake. I'm drunk now (a very nice corvina blend), but I'm under no illusions over the health effects.

Agreed most people won't take a blind bit of notice of WHO's pronouncements. However, when those pronouncements get taken up by local health authorities and healthy, normal adults with modest alcohol intakes are suddenly re-designated by their health services as "problem drinkers" - they might just sit up and take notice for a change.

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

If compared using LD50, alcohol is less poisonous than fructose, salt, or caffeine. 

Alcohol is a natural component of many innocuous substances such as orange juice and bananas. If WHO have genuinely declared a zero safety limit for it - and I haven’t look at their pronouncements on this - are they recommending banning those too?

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

If compared using LD50, alcohol is less poisonous than fructose, salt, or caffeine. 

Alcohol is a natural component of many innocuous substances such as orange juice and bananas. If WHO have genuinely declared a zero safety limit for it - and I haven’t look at their pronouncements on this - are they recommending banning those too?

Just wait until the "cashless society" is introduced. Then there will no longer be any option to engage in direct two-party trade for goods (or services) by private treaty. Everyone will need the approval of the all-powerful 3rd-party payment system. So this WHO "initiative" is only the start. We'll soon find strict limits enforced on everything we need to buy in the shops: "Sorry, payment's been declined, it says here you've already had 4 cans of Coke this week so your sugar limit's maxed-out. Real ale? Nope, sorry, same problem. Crisps? No can do, sorry - fat and salt limit exceeded. Cigarettes? Ha! You wish!" It'll be Big Brother on steroids. Seriously.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Have you had you blood pressure checked recently?

No, it's safer not to know. It's probably through the roof thanks to these doctors.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:24 AM, wrighty said:

Yes yes very good, call me when people are drinking 6L of fluid, of which ~6% is fructose, of an evening. :P