Roundels, or Roundabouts

Steve Ball

6 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Exactly this.

Anyone who stops or who expects anyone else to stop for them, is absolutely an idiot who needs to learn how to drive.

The only time any vehicle should be stationary on them is if it’s exit is blocked by traffic or those stupid crossings

Or if it has been pranged or rendered undriveable by someone following your advice on how to use them.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Exactly this.

Anyone who stops or who expects anyone else to stop for them, is absolutely an idiot who needs to learn how to drive.

The only time any vehicle should be stationary on them is if it’s exit is blocked by traffic or those stupid crossings

The worst ones are the total morons who also beep at you because you used the roundel exactly as it was intended to be used. 

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Or if it has been pranged or rendered undriveable by someone following your advice on how to use them.

It is the legally correct way to use them as specified in the Highway Code.

Slow down and use common sense, there should be no need to stop and hinder the flow of traffic.

That does of course assume some idiot isn’t coming through at 15mph

If you can’t work it out. Time you handed your driving license back then. 

fuck me. Why does everyone need their hand held by government for every minutiae of their pitiful lives. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gizo said:

fuck me. Why does everyone need their hand held by government for every minutiae of their pitiful lives. 

That's no way to refer to civil servants 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Treat them as unmarked junctions and drive straight through the middle of them wherever possible in protest of such a stupid design.

That is exactly what they are unmarked junctions no one has right of way

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It you use them like a roundabout then clearly you are an idiot as they are not roundabouts at all. All the people stopping and using them like roundabouts are just thick and are disrupting traffic flow.

I'm thick as well, then. I try to avoid these two areas as much as possible, but if there's no alternative but to navigate one of these bizarre creations, I too treat it like a roundabout. I was under the impression everyone else did as well but from what you say it seems that's not the case. Anyway, fun times ahead come late May. >;-}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

I'm thick as well, then. I try to avoid these two areas as much as possible, but if there's no alternative but to navigate one of these bizarre creations, I too treat it like a roundabout. I was under the impression everyone else did as well but from what you say it seems that's not the case. Anyway, fun times ahead come late May. >;-}

No need to try and avoid them. They have been operating now for many months now effectively as roundabouts as you rightly say, without (as far as I know ) incident. 

Just ignore the smart arses who try to project some sort of mystique onto it. Hitherto unknown driving styles etc that only they seem to know. (As they are so clever and the rest of us are idiots)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No need to try and avoid them. They have been operating now for many months now effectively as roundabouts as you rightly say, without (as far as I know ) incident. 

But using like a roundabout  is wrong they say apparently 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dont-treat-roundels-like-roundabouts-say-police/

Edited by ellanvannin2010

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Jeez, I didn’t say they were. I said they were effectively acting as roundabouts which they are and everyone seems to be getting on with them OK.

What exactly is your point?

I bet you are one of those old duffers who proudly claims “I have never been involved in an accident” but who is too dim to realise that they have caused hundreds.

They are very publicly not to be treated as roundabouts.  Maybe you should buy a new Highway Code, take some IAM lessons or just rest a test like every old duffer should have to every five years.

Edited by Youaintseenme
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Everyone was agreed they were badly designed roundabouts until the police said that.

Now 95% of people treat them like badly designed roundabouts and 5% are bellends who think "nobody has priority" means they're free to plough through regardless of anyone else on the road. 

Guess what? They work better if people treat them like badly designed roundabouts. 

If its an unmarked junction then you don't have priority and give way to people on the junction. If it's a roundabout you, er, give way to people on the junction.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I saw a video clip of I think Oxford Circus in London, an unmarked junction, heavy traffic flowing without an issue. Just feed into the gaps. The idiots are those who think they have right of way and start sounding off, instead of just slowing up and feeding in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Everyone was agreed they were badly designed roundabouts until the police said that.

Now 95% of people treat them like badly designed roundabouts and 5% are bellends who think "nobody has priority" means they're free to plough through regardless of anyone else on the road. 

Guess what? They work better if people treat them like badly designed roundabouts. 

If its an unmarked junction then you don't have priority and give way to people on the junction. If it's a roundabout you, er, give way to people on the junction.

What?

You just slow down and let people do their thing.

The only people who cause issues are the ones who expect others to give way to them just because they are approaching from the right.

The junctions are massive.  You can do whatever you want and as long as you are going slowly and expecting others to do the same they work brilliantly.  Only screwed by people who treat them like roundabouts.