Roundels, or Roundabouts

Steve Ball

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I bet you are one of those old duffers who proudly claims “I have never been involved in an accident” but who is too dim to realise that they have caused hundreds.

They are very publicly not to be treated as roundabouts.  Maybe you should buy a new Highway Code, take some IAM lessons or just rest a test like every old duffer should have to every five years.

Yep I am an “old duffer “ who has never been involved in an accident in 40 years driving but I keep that to myself. 

I have not caused hundreds of accidents but am not dim enough to not know I certainly have prevented a few or more.

As for your driving credentials, I shudder to think

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yep I am an “old duffer “ who has never been involved in an accident in 40 years driving but I keep that to myself. 

I have not caused hundreds of accidents but am not dim enough to not know I certainly have prevented a few or more.

As for your driving credentials, I shudder to think

I have taught more people to drive than you have had hot dinners Doris.

Mainly around Reading, but also plenty on the island.  

If you treat unmarked junctions as roundabouts you are an idiot, and the Roads Policing Unit would happily concur.

The reference to IAM was because I was an examiner in the UK for 8 years up to 2014

Edited by Youaintseenme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

If you treat unmarked junctions as roundabouts you are an idiot, and the Roads Policing Unit would happily concur.

The reference to IAM was because I was an examiner in the UK for 8 years up to 2014

Well thank God I had a proper driving instructor/ examiner in the UK.

So it’s you who are at least partially responsible for the poor standard of driving on the Island? That makes sense now.

I would suggest that your temperament makes you totally unsuitable to be either a driving instructor or examiner.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last paragraph
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

So it’s you who are at least partially responsible for the poor standard of driving on the Island? That makes sense now.

Nope.  Everyone I have taught on island has passed their test in the last six years and would be fully aware how to drive through an unmarked junction.

The issue on island is the old duffers who haven’t had a lesson for 30 years plus and still think you cadence break even with ABS.  You seem like a prime example to be honest.

If you have such faith in your ability then why not try some IAM sessions and see if you can pass the test?  It is massively helpful to anyone on the road and isn’t expensive.  Really it is just what a regular retest for people who passed over ten years ago should be anyway.

I am happy to introduce you to someone who could instruct you an hour a week for six weeks for only the cost of any fuel you use.

22 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

They are very publicly not to be treated as roundabouts.  Maybe you should buy a new Highway Code, take some IAM lessons or just rest a test like every old duffer should have to every five years.

To be fair when they were first unveiled people were told to treat them similar to roundabouts and most quickly adopted the giveaway to the right principle. Then maybe a week or so later the Police put a post up on Facebook in an attempt to clarify the situation and said roundels are to be treated as unmarked junctions and that nobody has priority.

I don’t like the Roundels, I find they introduce hesitation because no one has clear priority, I’ve found it somewhat a hazard when someone is turning right, I certainly don’t want someone turning across my path, some will stop, some will assume priority.

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I would suggest that your temperament makes you totally unsuitable to be either a driving instructor or examiner.

Fifty quid says you couldn’t pass either a theory or practical test tomorrow

33 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

The only people who cause issues are the ones who expect others to give way to them just because they are approaching from the right.

And they're the same bellends who don't get the fact nobody has priority, and plough through regardless of who is on the junction. I'm a big fan of letting them get on with it and giving way.

Giving way to people on the right largely makes sense, even on unmarked junctions; in some other countries that's the standard. It makes even more sense when not wanting to get t-boned by some arsehole.

Yes I know its not technically a roundabout, but it works best if people treat it like one. I'm honestly not sure why this is controversial. 

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I find they introduce hesitation because no one has clear priority,

That is entirely the point of them.  To stop situations like the dicks at Braddan bridge who steam out of Douglas when people are trying to come down from Kirby.

Slow down.  Expect the unexpected.  Don’t assume priority but keep moving.  That is exactly what they are designed to promote

34 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

But they're NOT unmarked! There are huge, concentric eliptical circles painted on them! Yeah, if they were truly unmarked then fair enough. But they're not. And that's where the confusion arises. Just wait til the visiting TT crowd shows up. You go down there and tell them they're a bunch of dipsh*ts for colliding with each other and see how you come out of it.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Nope.  Everyone I have taught on island has passed their test in the last six years and would be fully aware how to drive through an unmarked junction.

The issue on island is the old duffers who haven’t had a lesson for 30 years plus and still think you cadence break even with ABS.  You seem like a prime example to be honest.

If you have such faith in your ability then why not try some IAM sessions and see if you can pass the test?  It is massively helpful to anyone on the road and isn’t expensive.  Really it is just what a regular retest for people who passed over ten years ago should be anyway.

I am happy to introduce you to someone who could instruct you an hour a week for six weeks for only the cost of any fuel you use.

As we haven't had 'unmarked junctions' before now you cannot say your 'students' would in reality be able to deal with them  - theory is different to reality. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

But they're NOT unmarked! There are huge, concentric eliptical circles painted on them! Yeah, if they were truly unmarked then fair enough. But they're not. And that's where the confusion arises. Just wait til the visiting TT crowd shows up. You go down there and tell them they're a bunch of dipsh*ts for colliding with each other and see how you come out of it.

There isn’t a single legal road marking or sign.

They are unmarked junctions.  If there was a solid white line at entry. A broken white line at entry. A sign to say it was a roundabout or even a white dot in the middle then you might be able to claim it was a roundabout but they very clearly aren’t.

8 minutes ago, daisy said:

As we haven't had 'unmarked junctions' before now you cannot say your 'students' would in reality be able to deal with them  - theory is different to reality. 

They read the Highway Code.  It isn’t difficult and it doesn’t matter if it is Manx or UK.  The manx one for years has told you to treat a junction  where the traffic lights are out as an unmarked junction.  It is nothing new.

Edited by Youaintseenme

6 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

They read the Highway Code.  It isn’t difficult and it doesn’t matter if it is Manx or UK.  The manx one for years has told you to treat a junction  where the traffic lights are out as an unmarked junction.  It is nothing new.

Gotcha .. but reading is different to doing.  They would have been better making these junctions 'filter in turn' which allows consistent flow from all directions.....

• Confused 1