Jump to content

Roundels, or Roundabouts


Steve Ball
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Same thing really.  Common sense

Yeah but 'filter in turn' is properly marked out... not some random markings that look like a roundabout... Don't forget when they put the granite thing in the middle or whatever they ran out of money to do this time round it will ,,, in theory,,, be more like a roundabout than a 'roundel'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, daisy said:

Yeah but 'filter in turn' is properly marked out... not some random markings that look like a roundabout... Don't forget when they put the granite thing in the middle or whatever they ran out of money to do this time round it will ,,, in theory,,, be more like a roundabout than a 'roundel'

Let's face it: we're an international laughing stock, featured on Fox News, the Daily Mail and China Daily.

2 months to go now. Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock Tick-tock....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I learned a lot about roundabouts when I worked in Cardiff many years ago. Roundabouts there were in effect treated like these roundels, except that people did drive around rather than across. When you got to a roundabout, if there was nothing immediately in front of you, you entered. If you hesitated at the entrance, you had someone up your back end! Everyone kept moving. Scared the death out of anyone who wasn't local, but it worked.

The roundels work, if you make sure you don't cut out in front of someone and cause them to brake.

The worst problem with the roundels is the people who use them to do U turns, so they are following the lines round and getting in everybody else's way!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GD4XXX said:

But they're NOT unmarked! There are huge, concentric eliptical circles painted on them! Yeah, if they were truly unmarked then fair enough. But they're not. And that's where the confusion arises. Just wait til the visiting TT crowd shows up. You go down there and tell them they're a bunch of dipsh*ts for colliding with each other and see how you come out of it.

More likely to be locals colliding with each other than TT crowd. Most motorcycle riders are better and more careful than most car drivers. This is quite simply because most of them also drive cars, have passed at least two driving tests (car driving only requires one) and also value their lives. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are wonderful and work very well indeed. In the age of the all embracing nanny state, it is refreshing to see a government initiative that requires people to think for themselves. No more traffic jams caused by traffic lights. Just approach slowly, have your wits about you and engage some courtesy in how you deal with other users.

Almost all of the traffic lights on the Island could be done away with and replaced with unmarked junctions where nobody has priority. Full marks to whoever decided to do this. Anybody who cannot cope with an unmarked junction should not be driving.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

They are wonderful and work very well indeed. In the age of the all embracing nanny state, it is refreshing to see a government initiative that requires people to think for themselves.

 

The last place I want to see people "think for themselves" is on public roads! 😄

Seriously, that's why we have a system of rules that are commonly agreed on and everyone should abide by. Helps to minimise accidents.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, woolley said:

They are wonderful and work very well indeed. In the age of the all embracing nanny state, it is refreshing to see a government initiative that requires people to think for themselves. No more traffic jams caused by traffic lights. Just approach slowly, have your wits about you and engage some courtesy in how you deal with other users.

Almost all of the traffic lights on the Island could be done away with and replaced with unmarked junctions where nobody has priority. Full marks to whoever decided to do this. Anybody who cannot cope with an unmarked junction should not be driving.

I mostly agree, but the roundel by its very shape makes people think it’s a roundabout, remove the roundel and then it would be much better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I mostly agree, but the roundel by its very shape makes people think it’s a roundabout, remove the roundel and then it would be much better.

I get what you're saying.

The fact this has had so much press coverage though and a number of people don't know how to drive around it shows they haven't given it a seconds thought. If I am unsure about something I will go and look into it.

It's also disturbing that most motorists don't know they need to give way to pedestrians on certain parts too (if the pedestrian has right of way). The amount I seen shouting and beeping at pedestrians making themselves look stupid in the process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I get what you're saying.

The fact this has had so much press coverage though and a number of people don't know how to drive around it shows they haven't given it a seconds thought. If I am unsure about something I will go and look into it.

It's also disturbing that most motorists don't know they need to give way to pedestrians on certain parts too (if the pedestrian has right of way). The amount I seen shouting and beeping at pedestrians making themselves look stupid in the process.

roundels or roundabouts , many local drivers don't tend to understand either

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I mostly agree, but the roundel by its very shape makes people think it’s a roundabout, remove the roundel and then it would be much better.

That's the problem, isn't it?

If your intention is to create an unmarked junction that drivers will unambiguously understand to treat as an unmarked junction, why on earth would any sane person deliberately choose (1) to put any markings - legaly recognised or not - on the road at all, but (2) if you did decide to put markings on the road, why choose to use concentric circular markings which will inevitably cause people to think of a roundabout?  It's asking for trouble.

If you were stupid enough to want to put any sort of meaningless design on the road at all, choose something that looks nothing like the general shape of a roundabout.  If the bottom of Broadway is a three-way junction, use concentric triangles or something else that will immediately stand out as "different" and make motorists think.

Better still - no markings at all!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...