Firm closing

finlo

9 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It used to be said that VAT rates couldn't be changed unless there was an EU variation arrangement/agreement in place elsewhere

Presumably they can only now be varied in line with the Common Purse

Don't think anyone has ever said that. It's not correct. 

Clearly being in an indirect consumption tax union with UK any variation has to be agreed with the UK. Brexit changed nothing in this case.

in the EU VAT must be a minimum of 15% but there is a list of goods and services to which a lower rate can be applied ( minimum 5% )

so, before brexit certain hospitality services could be charged at 5% to 15% ( and commonly are across the EU ) with no "variation agreement" if they are on the list.

UK won't agree to a variation

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

Yeah, everyone was already capable of clicking on the link, and if you'd have actually read it yourself, it doesn't indicate the reasons for closure other than mentioning a couple of telling lines like "niche business in a tiny village". Do try and keep up.

And if you’d bothered to carry on reading the comments, the proprietor DOES indicate WHY she is closing the business.

do try and keep up. 

42 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

What generally puts businesses out of business is not a lack of Government support, but an inability to compete against other businesses in the area. The statistics say that the majority of small businesses will fail to compete against other businesses, even when they're all paying the same level of VAT.

Did they have any other competition in the area?

Just now, Passing Time said:

Did they have any other competition in the area?

Try looking on Google maps. They were across the road from a Garage, almost next door to the Co-op, not far from the Station cafe, down the road from JJ Ribbons, round the corner from Mother T's, close to the Pubs, Pizza takeaway and the Chinese for their business lifetime. Might not be the reason they were closing, and they probably didn't do such good vegan food,  but certainly a challenge to compete against in the area.

19 minutes ago, Gizo said:

And if you’d bothered to carry on reading the comments, the proprietor DOES indicate WHY she is closing the business.

do try and keep up. 

I've read the comments on that FB post and I'm none the wiser. You can help us out - in which comment on that thread does the proprieter indicate why they are closing the business ? Could you quote it, please ?

11 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I've read the comments on that FB post and I'm none the wiser. You can help us out - in which comment on that thread does the proprieter indicate why they are closing the business ? Could you quote it, please ?

everyone is capable of clicking on a link

Just now, The Bastard said:

That's not on the link that was posted though, is it ? Plus the 3FM article just posts exactly the same statement from the owners that's on Facebook. Give up now, it's not going at all well :)

if you'd actually read what I originally commented you'll find it.  FME.