Firm closing

finlo

15 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Loads. Other Hospitality businesses and then any manufacturing businesses which use electricity and gas heavily.

Exactly and this is the point here. It will be interesting if the FOI request is ever published how much taxpayer cash RB has already had over the covid period to be shutting now just before TT. But if they get any government cash due to this furore as sure as eggs or eggs everyone else is going to come out with their begging bowls demanding the taxpayer underwrites their business. Where would it end? 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Exactly and this is the point here. It will be interesting if the FOI request is ever published how much taxpayer cash RB has already had over the covid period to be shutting now just before TT. But if they get any government cash due to this furore as sure as eggs or eggs everyone else is going to come out with their begging bowls demanding the taxpayer underwrites their business. Where would it end? 

Like the Farming money tree business.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

but the timing of the announcement does suggest other ideas and theories. Perhaps they could close after TT, it solves an immediate concern.

While I might agree with that , perhaps continuing till after TT week could give them a few more profitable weeks and that it may give a few more weeks extension to the problems that this will cause for Island industries but only a few more weeks.

While you're entranched in your anti politician stance, why not put that aside to address the current problem?

You could start a Tynpotwald bashing thread that would run for years but why not use your Tynwald watching years to offer some reasons why this goes beyond MHKs input?

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

While I might agree with that , perhaps continuing till after TT week could give them a few more profitable weeks and that it may give a few more weeks extension to the problems that this will cause for Island industries but only a few more weeks.

While you're entranched in your anti politician stance, why not put that aside to address the current problem?

You could start a Tynpotwald bashing thread that would run for years but why not use your Tynwald watching years to offer some reasons why this goes beyond MHKs input?

You're missing the point massive increases in their costs with immediate effect ie 58% plus the 27% on the gas a few weeks ago plus 30% on the electricity and lord knows what on the flour could push you to bankruptcy in days let alone months.

• Like 5

No I don't miss that point at all. The rising costs of energy are a cost consideration all western businesses will be accounting for.

Understand, Laxey provide a service to MANX Farmers, it is their prime outlet for their crops, it is a valuable service

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

No I don't miss that point at all. The rising costs of energy are a cost consideration all western businesses will be accounting for.

Understand, Laxey provide a service to MANX Farmers, it is their prime outlet for their crops, it is a valuable service

Ukraine is the third largest supplier of wheat in the world. Or was ..Has to be a big market for manx flour now elsewear if output is not taken up locally. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Would you care to hazard a guess as to the sort of gas and electricity bills such a business would generate?

40 minutes ago, finlo said:

Would you care to hazard a guess as to the sort of gas and electricity bills such a business would generate?

No, but it’s between a quarter and a third of what you and I would pay per therm, so they’re already being hugely subsidised by all utility consumers.

There can be no justification for taxpayer subsidy on top, other than to maintain the jobs at Laxey Glen Mills, and the market for Manx wheat growers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manx17 said:

I don’t think they have asked for a penny. All I’ve seen is a notice saying they are shutting.

You  eat all the cheap shite you want. 
I would rather pay the little extra for local bread and keep peoples jobs here.

You say this as if RB bread is good, it's not. It's no better than most of what is in the supermarkets and more than double (and some triple) the price.

• Like 2

Most of the grains going into Laxey are local grains, NOT Ukrainian grains. \\\they are not yet, subject to world prices

As such they provide a service to the local farming which have beeen encouraged supply \Laxey with what they want and an outlet for farmers with what they have been encourafged to produce to supply to Laxey.If Laxey were to fail the the knock on effect to farming and catering would be far wider than  Ram \bakery.

Of course it could all be handled by imports until that fateful day when we cannot provide basics to us Islanders!!!!!

These are the wider implications that our Govt and MF have to consider???

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

No, but it’s between a quarter and a third of what you and I would pay per therm, so they’re already being hugely subsidised by all utility consumers.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Maybe for the gas and except for telecom co's I'm unaware of such generosity from the MUA.