Firm closing

finlo

A Malting plant built on the Island certainly would loose money as most Barley grown here is not suitable for Malting. In the UK a farmer takes a gamble basically whether to grow malting barley or feed barley, feed barley gives a higher yield in terms of Tonnes than Malting Barley but Malting Barley fetches a higher price per tonne, but if the weather is bad malting barley can also be useless for malting. The Nitrogen content becomes too high and so useless for brewing.

Malting is an Art and Science in itself just like Brewing

Edited by alpha-acid
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You're coming from the wrong point of view mate, as if those that run councils and government are somehow reasonable people!

Elected officials have to try to reflect the views of their people, not always correctly?

It would seem odd to complain about the closed down pubs while supporting the new bars? I daresay some of RTCs have been to Fynoderree, may like it but have to balance their official stance.

The problem with Manx pubs is that they are, pretty much, brewery owned, competing with each other. Would seem wise to try to concentrate people to fewer properties as long as there is adequate capacity overall.

Does Ramsey have capacity problem? Is the loss of a few pubs really such a problem?

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

Elected officials have to try to reflect the views of their people, not always correctly?

It would seem odd to complain about the closed down pubs while supporting the new bars? I daresay some of RTCs have been to Fynoderree, may like it but have to balance their official stance.

The problem with Manx pubs is that they are, pretty much, brewery owned, competing with each other. Would seem wise to try to concentrate people to fewer properties as long as there is adequate capacity overall.

Does Ramsey have capacity problem? Is the loss of a few pubs really such a problem?

So you’re happy for them to stifle competition? This is literally the only place in Ramsey I’d go personally for a night out. I’m sure there are those living in the area who would like some decent options.

As for representing the views of their people, do you think the government reflect  your views? They certainly don’t mine. 

They also have duty to try and generate more income by way of rates for the area but their attitude in Fynoderee will just put potential business owners off. 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

They also have duty to try and generate more income by way of rates for the area but their attitude in Fynoderee will just put potential business owners off. 

It’s Ramsey so the commissioners attitude will be driven by nothing more than - Paul’s loaded. He’s not making any more money off decisions we make. That will show him. We’re happy to have a shit empty carpark instead of a posh outside drinking venue - because it’s Ramsey. 

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder where Ramsey is headed myself...I think the pub/nightlife situation is a bit chicken and egg now, there's not the trade (through socio-economic changes) to support the number of pubs that there used to be (25 including hotel bars at one point); conversely, without the right type of attractions it's unlikely to pick up.

People largely steer clear of brewery houses because of the price structure, the one or two private houses that remain mop up the trade. A lot of other people leave the town for their entertainment.

Ramsey is a quiet place of a weekend night these days. RTC should be doing everything they can to support anything that helps reverse the trend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I sometimes wonder where Ramsey is headed myself...I think the pub/nightlife situation is a bit chicken and egg now, there's not the trade (through socio-economic changes) to support the number of pubs that there used to be (25 including hotel bars at one point); conversely, without the right type of attractions it's unlikely to pick up.

People largely steer clear of brewery houses because of the price structure, the one or two private houses that remain mop up the trade. A lot of other people leave the town for their entertainment.

Ramsey is a quiet place of a weekend night these days. RTC should be doing everything they can to support anything that helps reverse the trend.

Not enough young families, Ramsey is like terrible retirement village that doesn't like change

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Not enough young families, Ramsey is like terrible retirement village that doesn't like change

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Thats the whole island, and mainly not from here, perhaps we do need a cull.

A cull seems a bit harsh. 

I'd be up for walling off the entire town from the rest of the island and surrounding it with a moat containing  sharks with fricking laser beams. 

8 hours ago, jackwhite said:

So you’re happy for them to stifle competition? This is literally the only place in Ramsey I’d go personally for a night out. I’m sure there are those living in the area who would like some decent options.

But, as was discussed on a previous thread, there are clearly also those in the area who are worried about noise from an outside licenced area operating year-round and seven days a week well into the evenings.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I have to say...the quality of bread available has shot up since the demise of Ramsey Bakery.

I’m really enjoying the co-op tiger skied loaf. It’s as expensive as shite and healthy was, but 10 times tastier and is fresh too!

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I have to say...the quality of bread available has shot up since the demise of Ramsey Bakery.

I totally agree. It’s like communism has ended and now we don’t have to pick the weevils out of the sad state milled bread anymore. Plus prices haven’t gone up that much either considering how expensive their bread already was anyway. 

Edited by BriT
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, BriT said:

I totally agree. It’s like communism has ended and now we don’t have to pick the weevils out of the sad state milled bread anymore. Plus prices haven’t gone up that much either considering how expensive their bread already was anyway. 

but it has a shelf life measured in  hours not days, i bet dentists love it.