Jump to content

Firm closing


finlo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tis' why I shipped off island.

As a SME you cant compete with IOMG departments playing at being businesses.

It is a shocking state of affairs for you lot, but I have made the move  a few years ago and I am far better off for doing so, despite the high Business rates and much higher personal taxation, I am lot better off as you could not imagine.

(Lots of lovely customers who appreciate a good product/ service and who are prepared to pay for it, with no Crab Attitude)

The islands MHKs should stop that kind of government empire building but your elected don't seem to have one bollock between the lot of them and that includes the females who you can excuse.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

As you say this situation has been incoming for some time, so you had time to prepare and diversify business, but instead sounds like you have 'done the neck end of fuck all about it' and are just waiting for another hand out.

It's not fair to say they've done fuck all. 

 

They've done fuck all less ten.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BriT said:

The weirdest buy local message I’ve seen in a while. The Manx tartan kilt should last you a lifetime as an alternative to buying trousers from M&S.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/people-urged-to-consider-sustainable-manx-clothing/

There are a lot of comments on the NPM Facebook page about this. Each to their own. I am assuming that if this firm is struggling financially then perhaps Tynpotwald members should buy something. After all didnt Rob Callister buy suits with his expenses? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

What kind of business do you own?

Can you tell us about some instances where you have diversified said business in light of difficult trading conditions ahead?

What kind of diversification would you suggest for a restaurant?

I own a business that was not given a penny in handouts as government decided my sector was not worth supporting and  Howard Quayle needed the money more.

We have survived through lock down by selling off equipment, furniture, vehicles, downsizing premises essentially becoming a skint start up again.  Losing all the baggage helped us change direction towards a market where we could see growing demand, same skills same business just a fresh approach. Had we been given a helping hand from government quite likely we would have just carried on as before, and our business would probably have slowly declined.

I have no interest or experience in owning a restaurant,  all I can say is Close Leece looked like an attempt to live life out of a Sunday supplement and was way too remote and 'piggy' for me, there are a few more like that trying to be what somone thinks is a cool lifestyle or vanity project rather than meeting a need. People are not going to stop going out and the places people want to go to will do just fine, why should we support businesses that should have made drastic changes or are not popular for good reason?

 

Edited by HiVibes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

What kind of business do you own?

Can you tell us about some instances where you have diversified said business in light of difficult trading conditions ahead?

What kind of diversification would you suggest for a restaurant?

I take very little notice of this clown jack - he trolls for a reaction. His posting style is very similar to that of someone who has been banned off here more times than I can remember for doing what he's doing now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

As a SME you cant compete with IOMG departments playing at being businesses.

The Govt is a bit like the brewery in this respect.

It wants to be in everybody's business but its own.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

There are a lot of comments on the NPM Facebook page about this. Each to their own. I am assuming that if this firm is struggling financially then perhaps Tynpotwald members should buy something. After all didnt Rob Callister buy suits with his expenses? 

I’m not sure 24 Manx tartan ties is going to save them. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, HiVibes said:

I own a business that was not given a penny in handouts as government decided my sector was not worth supporting and  Howard Quayle needed the money more.

We have survived through lock down by selling off equipment, furniture, vehicles, downsizing premises essentially becoming a skint start up again.  Losing all the baggage helped us change direction towards a market where we could see growing demand, same skills same business just a fresh approach. Had we been given a helping hand from government quite likely we would have just carried on as before, and our business would probably have slowly declined.

I have no interest or experience in owning a restaurant,  all I can say is Close Leece looked like an attempt to live life out of a Sunday supplement and was way too remote and 'piggy' for me, there are a few more like that trying to be what somone thinks is a cool lifestyle or vanity project rather than meeting a need. People are not going to stop going out and the places people want to go to will do just fine, why should we support businesses that should have made drastic changes or are not popular for good reason?

 

You possibly misunderstood my original question as you don't say what kind of trade the business is in.

It's all well and good being able to diversify but it's not possible for some trades. My question on restaurants is because these are one of those that it's not possible for.

I agree with what you're saying on Close Leece to be honest. I do actually think it wasn't that bad an idea but it's become obvious the last few years that spending was going to feel a pinch eventually with costs going up and luxury businesses, which is what I feel this is, would be the first hit. They could have shifted their offering or just seen the writing on the wall at that point. They have apparently struggled since the first lockdown, so it wouldn't be have been a surprise. I can certainly think of one such premises where it's an attempt at high end but the person running it has no idea what that looks like.

Let's take the new venture from the Front Porch guys as an example. Just to get your take on it. If you don't know their current offering it's a US themed bar with live music, alleged American cuisine (I wouldn't eat it but I believe plenty do) and it's rammed at the weekend. Sports on etc. Their latest venture seems to be aimed at a more sophisticated market. Small plates. Nice wines. They've brought in one of the advanced wine people from Wine Down as the manager. Would this fall into your definition of 'vanity project' or 'cool lifestyle' or do you think this will be a place 'people want to go'?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You possibly misunderstood my original question as you don't say what kind of trade the business is in.

It's all well and good being able to diversify but it's not possible for some trades. My question on restaurants is because these are one of those that it's not possible for.

I agree with what you're saying on Close Leece to be honest. I do actually think it wasn't that bad an idea but it's become obvious the last few years that spending was going to feel a pinch eventually with costs going up and luxury businesses, which is what I feel this is, would be the first hit. They could have shifted their offering or just seen the writing on the wall at that point. They have apparently struggled since the first lockdown, so it wouldn't be have been a surprise. I can certainly think of one such premises where it's an attempt at high end but the person running it has no idea what that looks like.

Let's take the new venture from the Front Porch guys as an example. Just to get your take on it. If you don't know their current offering it's a US themed bar with live music, alleged American cuisine (I wouldn't eat it but I believe plenty do) and it's rammed at the weekend. Sports on etc. Their latest venture seems to be aimed at a more sophisticated market. Small plates. Nice wines. They've brought in one of the advanced wine people from Wine Down as the manager. Would this fall into your definition of 'vanity project' or 'cool lifestyle' or do you think this will be a place 'people want to go'?

After the first lockdown, we tried a slight diversification with take away food. Problem was that we were still paying a rent with not many people dining in. Add to the cost the take away equipment, it was plain to see that we could not justify this for long. We then got ridiculous requests for deliveries and to be honest our standard of food was not produced for boxes. Thankfully, business is slowly picking up but still feel that government (UK and here) should look into VAT for food outlets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Let's take the new venture from the Front Porch guys as an example. Just to get your take on it. If you don't know their current offering it's a US themed bar with live music, alleged American cuisine (I wouldn't eat it but I believe plenty do) and it's rammed at the weekend. Sports on etc. Their latest venture seems to be aimed at a more sophisticated market. Small plates. Nice wines. They've brought in one of the advanced wine people from Wine Down as the manager. Would this fall into your definition of 'vanity project' or 'cool lifestyle' or do you think this will be a place 'people want to go'?

As I am not making a case for government funding, my sector is service based so yes I can get completly shafted and survive, but I don't think any sector should have special ongoing funding, and support should be means tested.

Personally the Front Porch clientelle and concept is not for me, though I think its great any business opening in this climate, I really like the concept of the greenhouse effect, whilst I feel uncomfortable with the wanky self description of 'a very instagramable urban-jungle vibe' that is the place I will meet people. I don't drink wine unless I am out for a proper meal, so the small plates and getting sloshed concept like the Front Porch is not for me, but I am sure it will be popular.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

After the first lockdown, we tried a slight diversification with take away food. Problem was that we were still paying a rent with not many people dining in. Add to the cost the take away equipment, it was plain to see that we could not justify this for long. We then got ridiculous requests for deliveries and to be honest our standard of food was not produced for boxes. Thankfully, business is slowly picking up but still feel that government (UK and here) should look into VAT for food outlets

I know your business and I agree with everything you say there. 

Take the likes of Enzos and Wine Down in Douglas, the new Chris Franklin place in Peel, Versa down south, these places would be exactly the same. You also want a certain ambience when dining in these places. Plating it from a takeaway box at home is not what I want from that level of spend. These are all places I would have eaten, or would like to try. I don't see how these places can 'diversify'. The Filbeys have had their food van. I'm sure it's fine. Do I want to eat there having previously eaten at Filbeys? Absolutely not. 

In short, some businesses can diversify, others it's not an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HiVibes said:

I own a business that was not given a penny in handouts as government decided my sector was not worth supporting and  Howard Quayle needed the money more.

We have survived through lock down by selling off equipment, furniture, vehicles, downsizing premises essentially becoming a skint start up again.  Losing all the baggage helped us change direction towards a market where we could see growing demand, same skills same business just a fresh approach. Had we been given a helping hand from government quite likely we would have just carried on as before, and our business would probably have slowly declined.

I never realised doing a paper round was so complicated...

Edited by P.K.
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...