Jump to content

Bus Vannin in Crisis


0bserver
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If it was pre booked and it probably was, the only solution would be to hand the contract to a private operator? Maybe should have been so in the first place but without the current difficulties causing problems it would have been a profitable trip for BV. and we might have applauded the reduction in their losses???

The reduction in their losses comes at a cost to private businesses who BV should not be competing with in the first place.

Whichever muppet came up with this idea probably thought he’s a right clever genius for using a tax payer subsidised fleet to undercut private operators, but was then too dumb or arrogant to realise that this is a calculation that doesn’t work on any level. And of course now that the shit has hit the fan it’s a double screw up. BV is letting fare paying customers they are supposed to be there for down and private businesses still lose money. Irresponsible clowns. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bus Vannin shouldn't be tendering for cruise work in the first place. End of. 

Do we even know if Government (presumably DfE) had a tender process or was it just given to Bus Vannin under the table?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Bus Vannin shouldn't be tendering for cruise work in the first place. End of. 

Do we even know if Government (presumably DfE) had a tender process or was it just given to Bus Vannin under the table?

The cruise companies would have been looking for suppliers themselves, but of course we don't know what the DfE told or promised the cruise companies.  And of course Bus Vannin weren't obliged to tender for the work.

That said BV will have to honour existing contracts, made under the Longworth regime.  Also a cruise liner that was supposed to arrive today didn't.  So this particular private hire may have been for something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

The cruise companies would have been looking for suppliers themselves, but of course we don't know what the DfE told or promised the cruise companies.  And of course Bus Vannin weren't obliged to tender for the work.

That said BV will have to honour existing contracts, made under the Longworth regime.  Also a cruise liner that was supposed to arrive today didn't.  So this particular private hire may have been for something else.

Newmarket Holidays according to the sign on the bus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

but without the current difficulties causing problems it would have been a profitable trip for BV. and we might have applauded the reduction in their losses???

Bus Vannin wouldn’t even know If it was profitable or not. How can you undercut a small private operator by doing work in a brand new £250K bus with a fully paid driver? The fact is their contract price factors in nothing that are true costs. They could do the job for 50p and still claim it was profitable as everything is made up. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheTeapot said:

There are no direct buses from the South to Tynwald on Tuesday. Pricks. 

Are there usually?

When I worked for the department bank holidays were double time and a day off in lieu so no problem getting staff to work. I imagine it is not that now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Are there usually?

When I worked for the department bank holidays were double time and a day off in lieu so no problem getting staff to work. I imagine it is not that now.

Yeah there are normally. I had the rare treat of being upstairs at the front of a double decker coming home down the Ballamodha last time I went.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah there are normally. I had the rare treat of being upstairs at the front of a double decker coming home down the Ballamodha last time I went.

You won't be missing much unless you have a fetish for I'll fitting suits!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It isn’t acceptable at all. 

Not one bit.

That department is taking the piss  Nothing but taking the piss.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, finlo said:

You won't be missing much unless you have a fetish for I'll fitting suits!

Oh I don't much care what the tossers are up to, but enjoy a wander round the festival fields feeling all Manx 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The reduction in their losses comes at a cost to private businesses who BV should not be competing with in the first place.

I did say as much in my post, you seem to be accusing me of being a BV apologist!!!

The second part of my post was aimed at the MF hypocrites who both complain about BVs losses and their attempt to make extra!!!

You need tyo ask DfE how it happens, when there is an organised tour of English travel agents,  BV provide the transport around the Island and of  course, the train trip. At the meeting, only BV seem to be present, I've not seen any indy coach firms there!

Why? Do DfE not invite them? Does Longworth insist it is only BV present? When a transport question comes in from a group tour or Cruise to DfE, do they only direct them to BV?      

Ask Tim Crookall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Kopek said:

You need tyo ask DfE how it happens, when there is an organised tour of English travel agents,  BV provide the transport around the Island and of  course, the train trip. At the meeting, only BV seem to be present, I've not seen any indy coach firms there!

Why? Do DfE not invite them? Does Longworth insist it is only BV present? When a transport question comes in from a group tour or Cruise to DfE, do they only direct them to BV?      

Ask Tim Crookall.

The way cruises used to operate was through cruise agents so the agent manages what needs to be managed on the ground at a particular destination for the cruise operator - from organizing transport packages to excursions and packages for places to eat etc. The agents will go out to tender. What I think you’ll find here is that pretty much every time they go out to tender Bus Vannin win as they put in a quote for £150 for what would be £1,000 of work if you had to break even to provide the services - which they don’t. When that happens enough times a lot of the agents probably don’t bother ringing anyone but BV anymore as BV will literally do the work for fuck all which means that they make a better profit margin on whatever they charge people for the excursion. Nobody can compete with that as their using taxpayers money to basically undercut any possible private sector tender offer by doing the work for buttons. Even if that means they can’t then get school kids to school or pensioners to Shoprite for their weekly shopping which is what they’re actually paid to do.

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

They hadn't met Longworth though, had they!

The cruise agents on the Island seem to be the DfE, so we're back to scenario I outline above!

Do you KNOW the quotes you say are true????

BV could have two modes of attack here, take the business and brag or make some money on the contract. Which is true? Do you really know? Are you just conjecturing because no one is going to challenge you?

If you have some insight in to this, please let us know!

Edited by Kopek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...