Jump to content

Pulrose Bridge


Bandits
 Share

Recommended Posts

Turning left to Pully from Peel Road, if they ever remove those random bollards, it's entirely possible a car could drive up and along the pavement/cycleway. 

Sometimes when I cycle to work I'll come in that way and the old bridge junction layout coming into town was absolutely fine because of the filter left and right turn.  There was plenty of room for bikes to between the traffic, get to the front and easily nip across the junction first to the existing cycleway on Peel road.   

At the junction to Middle River there is also a random semi-marked raised crossing.  Saw a couple of cars pretty much launch off it over the weekend.  

Some gravel and some lighting on the Nunnery path would surely have been more effective and useful. 

I suppose we're lucky we didn't get another Roundel. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notice someone got the steel work measurements wrong too, the railings on one side are too short so they have had to stick a bit of cheap fencing in at the end to fill the gap and stop people jumping off. Looks naff !!!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, 0bserver said:

I've heard that mentioned before but had heard the QB mega roundabout was back on the cards...

First quoted by John Shimmin ex MHK.

No point in speeding up Quarter Bridge only to cause traffic jams on the way into town. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

First quoted by John Shimmin ex MHK.

No point in speeding up Quarter Bridge only to cause traffic jams on the way into town. 

Not going to be helped when KFC and Starbucks etc opening soon. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 10:18 AM, The Phantom said:

Some gravel and some lighting on the Nunnery path would surely have been more effective and useful.

Absolutely agree, although I'm not sure how co-operative the Nunnery would have been given the ludicrous fencing they've recently been installing down there.

I don't see the point of the Pulrose Bridge cycle lane, but the comments on here about how "it'll cause a crash" terrify me. These people are driving cars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not going to be helped when KFC and Starbucks etc opening soon. 

I am amazed at the numbers of people doing U turns at the Quarter Bridge  obviously picked up the big mac  and want to get  back into town , but its a really dangerous thing to do,  and most of the time they couldn't  be bothered to give any kind of signal  other than the one finger when all the horns from the near misses start blowing ,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

the comments on here about how "it'll cause a crash" terrify me. These people are driving cars

They're drivers so they're well placed to say what could be dangerous... same way an airline pilot would tell you about flight safety issues. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I am amazed at the numbers of people doing U turns at the Quarter Bridge  obviously picked up the big mac  and want to get  back into town , but its a really dangerous thing to do,  and most of the time they couldn't  be bothered to give any kind of signal  other than the one finger when all the horns from the near misses start blowing ,

Rule 188

"Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this."

If they would make the Quarterbridge Roundabout into a roundel, then everyone could do what the hell they like.

I suppose part of the problem is that few Manx drivers have read that bit in the Highway Code about not driving over the white bits of a mini-roundabout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Absolutely agree, although I'm not sure how co-operative the Nunnery would have been given the ludicrous fencing they've recently been installing down there.

Really? Not been through there in a few weeks. Can you still ride through?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I am amazed at the numbers of people doing U turns at the Quarter Bridge  obviously picked up the big mac  and want to get  back into town , but its a really dangerous thing to do,  and most of the time they couldn't  be bothered to give any kind of signal  other than the one finger when all the horns from the near misses start blowing ,

What is dangerous about going around a mini roundabout?  People should only be doing about 5mph anyway.

The whole thing would be safer if we just made it an unmarked junction and people learned how to drive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Rule 188

"Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this."

If they would make the Quarterbridge Roundabout into a roundel, then everyone could do what the hell they like.

I suppose part of the problem is that few Manx drivers have read that bit in the Highway Code about not driving over the white bits of a mini-roundabout.

Not driving over the white bits? If the white bits were located accurately then it would be possible to go round them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eurgh, I had another real look and consideration of the junction today. 

They have in fact made it worse than before. 

Now if you're on the new cycle lane, you'll have to use the pelican crossing to get across the junction if you're heading from Pully to Douglas, as you're now on the wrong side of the road to cross the junction with traffic.  You're not allowed to ride across a Pelican crossing, so now you're also going to have to dismount! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Eurgh, I had another real look and consideration of the junction today. 

They have in fact made it worse than before. 

Now if you're on the new cycle lane, you'll have to use the pelican crossing to get across the junction if you're heading from Pully to Douglas, as you're now on the wrong side of the road to cross the junction with traffic.  You're not allowed to ride across a Pelican crossing, so now you're also going to have to dismount! 

I am fairly sure the “design” team at the DOI published plans when this started showing the intention to remodel the Peel Road junction to provide cycle crossings and other trendy box ticking facilities.

The artist’s impressions will be online somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I am fairly sure the “design” team at the DOI published plans when this started showing the intention to remodel the Peel Road junction to provide cycle crossings and other trendy box ticking facilities.

The artist’s impressions will be online somewhere.

All hail the crayonistas! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're mystified by it, the cycle lane connects to the cycle route past the Bowl, through the NSC, along the old railway line, across the crossing on the Castletown road, on to the TT escape road and on to the heritage trail. I'm not clear how the crossings will work yet, but I guess when it's finished, it links up all the cycle routes all the way from Central Douglas to Peel. Can't see that being a bad thing - the heritage trail is developing from a rutted, boggy path into a civilised walking, horse-riding and cycling route that will encourage walkers, cyclists and riders to use it instead of the main roads, which seems to be good thinking.   

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...