Jump to content

Re-Opening Jurby


0bserver
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, Omobono said:

sorry with so much money being sunk into reynoldsway  there is no chance of moving the airport to another location  , however  its high time  the landing systems  in poor visibility were looked at ,  or even the lighting gantry  replaced at the northern end of the runway , far to many aircraft being turned  back  and flights cancelled , 

I could be wrong (often am), but even if Ronaldsway spent millions installing CAT3 landing systems, Loganair aircraft aren't equipped to use it? Like I said, could be mistaken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, you are correct.  But, just as dredging Heysham/Douglas allows ferry connectivity to be maintained, CAT 3 (auto land) would allow flights to continue in periods of reduced visibility.  The question that the island’s residents will need to decide is which side of the cost/benefit equation they deem best for the Isle of Man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jetfour said:

No, you are correct.  But, just as dredging Heysham/Douglas allows ferry connectivity to be maintained, CAT 3 (auto land) would allow flights to continue in periods of reduced visibility.  The question that the island’s residents will need to decide is which side of the cost/benefit equation they deem best for the Isle of Man.

So easyJet could land (and taxi) in dense fog, but Loganair couldn't ?

 

 

......just a ballpark. Industry analysts estimate that a CAT lll ILS may cost as much as $3m per runway,

https://economicconfidential.com/2019/11/new-landing-equipment-airports-n7-58bn/

Edited by cheesypeas
update
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, Passing Time said:

Manx version of Con Air - could be brilliant

I could just see it. Con Air meets The Fugitive. Ted Quayle, convicted sheep rustler, and his group of cohorts hear of a rumoured tunnel from prison veteran Albert Mylchreest. In for a life sentence for illegally milking a cow on the sabbath who these days runs the prison washing room and tries to keep his head down as much as possible. Only when they get to the tunnel it turns out to be the prison sewer line. Regardless they make it through and try to take off in our one remaining Manx Airlines display plane. Only to realise that it no longer has an engine let alone any steering. Being the wise and cunning Manx folk they are they quickly nip off into Andy Moore's farm where Ted puts his sheep rustling skills into action. Twenty minutes, fifteen harnessed Loughton sheep and a metal three legs as a steering control wheel later they are heading down the runway the taste of freedom licking at their lips.

Meanwhile back in the prison their absence has not gone unnoticed. In a darkened office somewhere in the depths of the building a hand is seen picking up a badge and a bagel. The camera pans slowly back to reveal Margo who takes a bite out of the bagel and mutters to herself with narrowed eyes "Escapees. They never learn..".

Ted turns to his fellow convicts and shouts "We are free lads, Scotland here we come". Suddenly they hear sirens and look back in terror. Several police cars are chasing after them followed by what appears to be a passenger stair loader. Riding atop like a winged Valkyrie swooping down from the heavens to deliver a crushing blow is Margo, a look of pure thunder and fury in her eyes.

Like comment and subscribe for part 2

Edited by Chie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Chie said:

I could just see it. Con Air meets The Fugitive. Ted Quayle, convicted sheep rustler, and his group of cohorts hear of a rumoured tunnel from prison veteran Albert Mylchreest. In for a life sentence for illegally milking a cow on the sabbath who these days runs the prison washing room and tries to keep his head down as much as possible. Only when they get to the tunnel it turns out to be the prison sewer line. Regardless they make it through and try to take off in our one remaining Manx Airlines display plane. Only to realise that it no longer has an engine let alone any steering. Being the wise and cunning Manx folk they are they quickly nip off into Andy Moore's farm where Ted puts his sheep rustling skills into action. Twenty minutes, fifteen harnessed Loughton sheep and a metal three legs as a steering control wheel later they are heading down the runway the taste of freedom licking at their lips.

Meanwhile back in the prison their absence has not gone unnoticed. In a darkened office somewhere in the depths of the building a hand is seen picking up a badge and a bagel. The camera pans slowly back to reveal Margo who takes a bite out of the bagel and mutters to herself with narrowed eyes "Escapees. They never learn..".

Ted turns to his fellow convicts and shouts "We are free lads, Scotland here we come". Suddenly they hear sirens and look back in terror. Several police cars are chasing after them followed by what appears to be a passenger stair loader. Riding atop like a winged Valkyrie swooping down from the heavens to deliver a crushing blow is Margo, a look of pure thunder and fury in her eyes.

Like comment and subscribe for part 2

Does Part 2 involve an A-Team style rebuilding of rusted tractors in an Andreas barn to create a hybrid Van/Boat which is chased across the seas by Margo and her army of self employed roofers on Jetskis?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’d be looking at £250m to upgrade Jurby so it is probably a runner! 

There were plans to develop Andreas by a HNW with houses and hangars but the owners wouldn’t sell.

did suggest rendition flights for Jurby and a CIA wing a while back. No appetite

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jetfour said:

No, you are correct.  But, just as dredging Heysham/Douglas allows ferry connectivity to be maintained, CAT 3 (auto land) would allow flights to continue in periods of reduced visibility.  The question that the island’s residents will need to decide is which side of the cost/benefit equation they deem best for the Isle of Man.

The residents won't decide.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jetfour said:

The question that the island’s residents will need to decide is which side of the cost/benefit equation they deem best for the Isle of Man.

The Island's residents don't get much of a say in these matters....they're usually left to people completely unqualified for post with little or no political or democratic oversight.

Please see Airports, Promenades and Ferry Terminals for past and current examples.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flubbergump said:

Does Part 2 involve an A-Team style rebuilding of rusted tractors in an Andreas barn to create a hybrid Van/Boat which is chased across the seas by Margo and her army of self employed roofers on Jetskis?

Yes!. You have been peaking at the script. Imagine this.....Margo leaping from boat to boat as each one is blown up in return and Ted staring in amazement mutters "hang on there...."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

So easyJet could land (and taxi) in dense fog, but Loganair couldn't ?

 

 

......just a ballpark. Industry analysts estimate that a CAT lll ILS may cost as much as $3m per runway,

https://economicconfidential.com/2019/11/new-landing-equipment-airports-n7-58bn/

Absolute bargain. 

$6m for both main runways then. Money well spent. 

 

We waste more on MNH and toy trains each year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You’d be looking at £250m to upgrade Jurby so it is probably a runner! 

There were plans to develop Andreas by a HNW with houses and hangars but the owners wouldn’t sell.

did suggest rendition flights for Jurby and a CIA wing a while back. No appetite

Let's go for it. Bargain. We've still got £250m in reserves.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Absolute bargain. 

$6m for both main runways then. Money well spent. 

 

We waste more on MNH and toy trains each year. 

Don't think you'd bother with the shorter runway, so yeah, bargain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cheesypeas said:

Don't think you'd bother with the shorter runway, so yeah, bargain.

You would need one system for 08 and one for 26. So you would still be spending $6m 

I agree though, 03 and 21 wouldn't get it... I think geographically it's impossible for one of them anyway due to terrain.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Flubbergump said:

I doubt it. I think there's probably about £4.73 left after Douglas Prom gets finished

Especially by the time Hopeful Tim has hopefully sorted out the visibility splays.

Edited by 0bserver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...