Crazy golf madness

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

TBH my own unscientific observation is that we actually have a declining population of them, probably because we are a bit tidier.

We don't have a landfill like the raggart providing an enormous food source any more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gave up on the Velux and took it out.  That area is now dark.

I am all for tits, blue or otherwise.  Pretty little things.  I love to see them jumping around in my garden and anywhere else whenever I can.  I agree, there are not so many about when it gets colder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

They are seasonal - winter only.

You should always keep your tits warm during winter so they are in their prime during the warmer months.  I know I look after mine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No  the netting was with reference to the small cafe.

Yes, they are a nuisance, but surely there are ways of dealing with them?  Why are you so badly affected? Could you not, say, put a cage over your velux,  netting over your salad plants (other animals will eat stuff), put a decoy (a decoy heron works to keep real herons away from koi ponds, for example). Is it gulls digging up your bulbs? Never heard of that before. 

I do sympathise, but a cull will just mean that the remaining birds will thrive as they will have a greater share of the available resource.

TBH my own unscientific observation is that we actually have a declining population of them, probably because we are a bit tidier.

I am of the live and let live persuasion, and in the greater scheme of things nature has had to adapt more to survive the effects of man than the reverse.  That won't be a popular view, but there you go. 

Herring Gulls are red listed ( of greatest conservation concern) as their numbers have declined so much I think about an 85% reduction in population in recent years

http://manxbirdlife.im/bocciom/

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You should always keep your tits warm during winter so they are in their prime during the warmer months.  I know I look after mine. 

I bought one of those peanut-holder things for the garden - the literature said it was guaranteed to attract Big Tits into the garden, and I thought that for £2.50 it was worth a try.

Well, it didn't quite say Big Tits, it said Great Tits, but I'd rather go for quantity than quality.

Manx Forums - known as the Bloomsbury Group of the north.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

I bought one of those peanut-holder things for the garden - the literature said it was guaranteed to attract Big Tits into the garden, and I thought that for £2.50 it was worth a try.

Well, it didn't quite say Big Tits, it said Great Tits, but I'd rather go for quantity than quality.

Manx Forums - known as the Bloomsbury Group of the north.

Well, mine are not big but they are Great! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

We don't have a landfill like the raggart providing an enormous food source any more. 

When the Wright's Pit tips closed a lot of gulls migrated to the mountain road to scavenge off roadkill, they were starving and used to sit on the moors either side of the road waiting for the opportunities.

Their numbers are supposedly in decline (somebody has posted), it's scary to think how many there would be if that weren't the case.

• Thanks 1