GOOD idea Alf ??

WTF

You can guarantee if the cuts were applied here, within a month - and as a consequence - the IOMG would hire:

3 Directors within DfE to engage with businesses to assist the civil servants to gain employment elsewhere

8 Managers to support the 3 Directors

25 Administrative Officers to support the Managers

Not to mention 32 extra staff in the Social Security Office to support Job Seeker Applications, the hire of 8 minibuses from Bus Vannin to provide mobile "we'll come to you" support counselling...Oh, and then there will be......

Nah, let's call the whole thing off.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Not to mention 32 extra staff in the Social Security Office to support Job Seeker Applications,

They wouldn't do this bit. They'd make you queue for hours while 2 members of staff worked the counter before closing at 1pm.

• Like 3

Politically unacceptable here...if you laid off a fifth of our CS it would be thousands on the dole and more importantly, thousands of votes lost.

Whether any services would be affected would be a different matter. I called into a PS counter the other day, there were 5 out of the six staff behind it who were just sitting talking to each other. The chap who dealt with my enquiry was the only one who was actually doing any work at his desk at the time. But maybe it was teabreak or something?

38 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Politically unacceptable here...if you laid off a fifth of our CS it would be thousands on the dole and more importantly, thousands of votes lost.

Whether any services would be affected would be a different matter. I called into a PS counter the other day, there were 5 out of the six staff behind it who were just sitting talking to each other. The chap who dealt with my enquiry was the only one who was actually doing any work at his desk at the time. But maybe it was teabreak or something?

The one working was probably a temp they have employed to do the job for them

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone thinking there will be a cull in CS posts is delusional . It's not happening . It should for sure as theres too many management not putting in a shift and too comfortable in there ivory towers. I'd be happy if they just stopped creating jobs and moved staff around for a few years .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The other 40 staff were working from home.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Anyone thinking there will be a cull in CS posts is delusional . It's not happening . It should for sure as theres too many management not putting in a shift and too comfortable in there ivory towers. I'd be happy if they just stopped creating jobs and moved staff around for a few years .

It's the government way, several layers of "management/consultants" for every one actual worker. Seems to be the model that the hospital use as well

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Would it though?  The UK and the IOM are currently experiencing a significant shortage of staff in all sectors.  This could be partially to blame for the slow economy growth.  Growth generally requires more staff.  There are no new staff anywhere.   If Govt got leaner, I'd like to think the shed employees would easily get jobs elsewhere.  Although they would have to actually work, not just say no to everything and the pensions probably wouldn't be as good. 

I've said it before (half jokingly), I don't get why there isn't someone from the Job Centre on the beach at Dover greeting all the rubber boat immigrants, lining them up for jobs as soon as they arrive.  Work and you can stay! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

If Govt got leaner, I'd like to think the shed employees would easily get jobs elsewhere.

The best job that the former CEO of the DoI could get is as a bus driver. What would the lower ranks be competent to do?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WTF said:

Obviously this is basically nonsense and mainly designed to get Daily Mail readers excited.  In so far as anything will happen there will be outsourcing of some functions to companies run by Tory chums.  Resulting in worse performing and possibly corrupt services that cost the taxpayer more.  But some very rich chums who might be sharing a bit of the wealth with the right people.

Don't expect the same sort of rhetoric to result in anything different here.  The civil service is overmanned and ridiculously hierarchical, but if you ask them to cut numbers they'll just sack low-paid maintenance staff and take on more managers to manage the new contracts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1