E-mail’s to MHKs.

hissingsid

Joney Faragher was on MR this morning regarding Mental Health and people sending irate emails to M.H.Ks.   First it was daft Daphne now moaning Joney, do they not realise that getting disturbed out of hours and getting emails that are dismissive of their sad attempts to govern this Island are par for the course.   I do not think anyone should get abusive correspondence but if you stand for public office you do need to be thick skinned and learn to ignore your critics or learn how to deal with them.    If you cannot stand the heat keep out of the kitchen the old adage that makes perfect sense.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Maybe if they all were better at their jobs they wouldn't get irate e mails. The current situation can only crystallise the contempt with which they are held in the eyes of a large number of the electorate !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Joney Faragher was on MR this morning regarding Mental Health and people sending irate emails to M.H.Ks. 

She’s getting an irate email from me just for saying that. 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

46:50 or so on Manx Radio Breakfast.

MR asked JF what impact online abuse has on open debate and the effects on mental health.

JF: "The vast majority of emails I get are respectful, informative, and interesting. Just like every MHK I have my own, what you'd call, anti-fanclub, and just like every MHK all of us get - there's a handful of people who will regularly email every single MHK and out of that handful, most of them will make very valid points, very interesting points, and they are informative and you use that to inform the way you think about a topic - but just out of that there are a handful who will just send you through abusive... and no matter how you engage with that person, they will not be responsive whatsoever, they will continue to send very vitriolic, abusive messages, so the way that I have decided to deal with it now, because I think that it's absolutely true to say that in no other role would you be consistently expected to put up with abuse, we don't tolerate that as a society now, so there's absolutely no reason that in our role we should be expected to tolerate that. I really do understand anger and frustration, I deal with it a lot. I know how I felt as a member of the electorate as well, before I was elected and so that's one thing, but when you are crossing that line into being abusive of somebody... what I would tend to do is send an email saying if you would like to meet for coffee, I'm absolutely happy to do that, I find that kind of communication a lot more productive, and conducive really to getting to the bottom of the issues they want to deal with, but if you do continue to send abusive messages I'll block your email."

MR: "How do you cope when things get tough with that, CB said it takes a toll... what advice would you give to somebody who is facing that kind of scrutiny as well?"

JF: "The biggest thing I think is to talk to somebody about it. I do think that can help you understand that you're not the only one, which always feels better, it always feels like OK - it's not targeting specifically me, they're targeting the role really, to talk to somebody in a similar situation to you... there's no harm to tell people that I've had this message from this person, so long as they're bound to the same confidentiality that you are, one of the ones I was receiving abusive messages from i found out that lots of the MHKs were receiving lots of messages, so this person obviously does spend the time messaging individual messages, not group ones, but individual messages that are very vitriolic and its good to know that it's not quite as personal as you thought it might have been from the outset."

Apologies for any minor errors, Joney does talk quickly.

I am interested to know which bit of that exactly @hissingsid objected to? There's no whinging in there, she just answered two direct questions.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I am interested to know which bit of that exactly @hissingsid objected to? There's no whinging in there, she just answered two direct questions.

He's doesn't like having his emails blocked!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Joney Faragher was on MR this morning regarding Mental Health and people sending irate emails to M.H.Ks.   First it was daft Daphne now moaning Joney, do they not realise that getting disturbed out of hours and getting emails that are dismissive of their sad attempts to govern this Island are par for the course.   I do not think anyone should get abusive correspondence but if you stand for public office you do need to be thick skinned and learn to ignore your critics or learn how to deal with them.    If you cannot stand the heat keep out of the kitchen the old adage that makes perfect sense.

I’ve read the transcript kindly provided by Helix and what she said seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Seems to suggest she is happy to engage with the public but could do without any personal abuse.

Whats wrong with that?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I wonder how many threads on here are started by people woefully misrepresenting something that's happened. Most of them probably.

All the TT threads for starters:whistling:

• Haha 2