Manx Forum's MHKs - We Need You to do What's Right

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

'Cos it's Latin, so must be right. 

Oh Christ yes!  Do you remember when they suddenly discovered the word vires and went round using it on every possible (and frequently incorrect) occasion.  Quayle and Ashford were particularly bad at it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh Christ yes!  Do you remember when they suddenly discovered the word vires and went round using it on every possible (and frequently incorrect) occasion.  Quayle and Ashford were particularly bad at it.

Yes, often mispronounced as virus!

Posted (edited)

Closing ranks and not commenting shows exactly what is wrong with our political system. Its all too cosy and nobody seemingly is challenged . And the apparent closed door meetings between Cabinet is another really bad example of how incestuous it all is. It looks like far more dodgy dealings are going on in the corridors of power. It has to change. Is Cannan up to make a name for himself and clean up the cesspit.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

But how has that happened?

I worked in the civil service for a couple of years in the 80s just after I graduated.  Maybe my view is biased but govt and politicians seemed to do a good job then and there were competent Manx people in senior positions.

My impression (I've lived in the UK for nearly 40 years now) is that things were pretty good up to and including when Miles Walker was CM - and it went downhill thereafter.

I think it was a demographic/generational thing.  When higher education opened up from the 60s onwards in England (and expanded even more from the 80s) a lot more people went away to study, but most didn't come back.  So the pool of bright school leavers who would normally go into the civil service was pretty much empty and from the late 70s onward the finance sector was preferred by those who did remain or came back. 

Those who did join were not always that clever or well-trained, but buggins turn (and the expansion of the civil service the new prosperity brought) meant that they rose through the ranks.  Often being promoted to get them out of a job they were particularly useless at. Such people were often unwilling to recruit those better qualified and local applicants might be assessed on who they were connected to rather than what they could do - which is often how they got their own jobs.  While they lacked to skills to assess outsiders and tended to prize confidence above competence. 

And it was the same with politicians, which meant that they were only too happy to give up control to the civil service providing they were made to feel important enough and the bank account was filled.  So there was no constraint on the civil service running things for their own benefit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Isn't Faragher in DHSC? Possibly not allowed to comment.

20 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes and Sarah Maltby in Treasury.  

With no settlement yet being made, it's arguable that they might be inhibited from saying anything that might compromise that.  But there's nothing to stop other members and officials having a view.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

With no settlement yet being made, it's arguable that they might be inhibited from saying anything that might compromise that.  But there's nothing to stop other members and officials having a view.

Yes those two its understandable why there not commenting but the rest no excuse I can see. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it was a demographic/generational thing.  When higher education opened up from the 60s onwards in England (and expanded even more from the 80s) a lot more people went away to study, but most didn't come back.  So the pool of bright school leavers who would normally go into the civil service was pretty much empty and from the late 70s onward the finance sector was preferred by those who did remain or came back. 

Those who did join were not always that clever or well-trained, but buggins turn (and the expansion of the civil service the new prosperity brought) meant that they rose through the ranks.  Often being promoted to get them out of a job they were particularly useless at. Such people were often unwilling to recruit those better qualified and local applicants might be assessed on who they were connected to rather than what they could do - which is often how they got their own jobs.  While they lacked to skills to assess outsiders and tended to prize confidence above competence. 

And it was the same with politicians, which meant that they were only too happy to give up control to the civil service providing they were made to feel important enough and the bank account was filled.  So there was no constraint on the civil service running things for their own benefit.

Well that's a very comprehensive and insightful answer to the question.

Have you volunteered your services as a recruitment consultant to IoM govt?

They need someone credible to explain to them what's going wrong...

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Gladys, if you listen to Radio 4, as I'm sure you do, you will know that their interrogation of politicians can keep a 'story' alive way beyond that which the parties would like.

UK takeover??? We Manx and those who have lived here for some years will value out independence and would be very loath to allow any interference from outside.

Our   political independence is our pride, I'm surprised you should give that up as you propose!

Precisely what independence? The sort of independence that has bred this state of affairs?

The place is currently unfit to govern itself, morally, fiscally, you name it.

Sorry, Nationalists.

• Like 4