Manx Forum's MHKs - We Need You to do What's Right

29 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

It's an absolute shitshow and all of us have a duty to make it clear how unacceptable it is.

But calling in the UK?  Fucking hell, have you seen the state of governance in the UK over recent years?

Unpalatable, isn't it?  But show me how we can retrieve this without external intervention. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

This debacle should encourage discussion on the need for legislation relating to Malfeasance in Public Office. 

Agree,but it won't be quick enough.

Probably the worst political crisis to hit in decades, and there isn't even an emergency Tynwald meeting to be briefed and agree the next steps. 

It will wait for 7 days, no worries. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Unpalatable, isn't it?  But show me how we can retrieve this without external intervention. 

Only unpalatable in the sense that the UK is now one of the most corrupt nations on the planet.

I'd have no reservations about an external country coming in to sort our shit out in principle, just the idea of the UK being that country right now is laughable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Only unpalatable in the sense that the UK is now one of the most corrupt nations on the planet.

I'd have no reservations about an external country coming in to sort our shit out in principle, just the idea of the UK being that country right now is laughable.

There isn’t another. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Oh, do behave yourself! That is simply laughable! The old rule of the farther south you travel in the world, the greater the corruption (with the exception of the antipodes) still holds up remarkably well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

With the exception of Stu Peters' post advising that he intends to with-hold comment pending Tuesday's Tynwald debate - no other MF-posting MHK has contributed to this thread, or the DHSC thread.

#clubtynwald a bit embarrassed and closing ranks, chaps? Chris Thomas? Julie Edge?

Or just under orders?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

With the exception of Stu Peters' post advising that he intends to with-hold comment pending Tuesday's Tynwald debate - no other MF-posting MHK has contributed to this thread, or the DHSC thread.

#clubtynwald a bit embarrassed and closing ranks, chaps? Chris Thomas? Julie Edge?

Or just under orders?

Julie Edge is in CoMin so won't be commenting anytime soon; Chris Thomas is busy on Twitter; and Rob Callister is probably busy writing a blog about the rally. 

• Like 1

Interesting 6 pages of comments that will achieve the sum total of fuck all. Sadly, the majority of the current crop of MHK’s are sheep. Those that have served more than one term have no moral compass at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Julie Edge is in CoMin so won't be commenting anytime soon; Chris Thomas is busy on Twitter; and Rob Callister is probably busy writing a blog about the rally. 

To be fair Chris Thomas and Tim Glover have at least nailed their flag to the mast on Twitter. The silence from everyone else of absolutely deafening. 

8AEDC49D-30EC-429D-BD39-E468FC9A8E02.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Those that have served more than one term have no moral compass at all. 

Indeed. Because said moral compass is institutionally and cynically removed.

Give "newbies" from the September election some grace, they haven't been in office long enough to a) make a difference or b) know.

But those from previous administrations,  whether current members or those departed the scene have all played their part in taking us where we are now.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

UK takeover??? We Manx and those who have lived here for some years will value out independence and would be very loath to allow any interference from outside.

Our   political independence is our pride, I'm surprised you should give that up as you propose!

And fast becoming 'your' shame.

No one mentioned UK takeover (???) -  again, your late night state of mind sir, is running away with you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Talking about people resigning, has any MHK other than Victor Kneale ever resigned on a point of principle?

(IIRC he resigned when I was in the civil service early 80s over whether people appointments to LegCo should be elected.  He thought they should be elected?  I can't remember the detail)

In 1981, Victor Kneale resigned from Legislative Council to stand for the Keys General Election where he would have a more powerful mandate. He was successfully elected in Douglas West.  (These days, MLC's don't have the conviction or principle to resign, they keep firmly sat in their seat upstairs - just in case).

He retained his seat at the next general election but did not stand at the 1991 General Election. He effectively resigned along with Julia Delaney (Douglas North) and Norman Butler (Ramsey). The Speaker of the House of Keys, Charles Kerruish had decided that these 3 needed reprimanding for the heinous sin of speaking to Manx Radio without his approval. Unable to decide on a punishment, he was saved the task when the three decided (or were told to decide) not to stand at the forthcoming election (some of this is detailed in Hansard).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

My understanding is that the matter is still sub judice, so political commentary will necessarily be scant during this period. But I will be listening carefully to the Chief Minister's statement to Tynwald on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, my Tynwald colleague Stu Peters is correct when he says the matter is still sub judice, and it is likely to be for several more weeks.

That said, I think the Manx public have a right to know the full and final cost for these proceedings.